March Feather's Chat

You're on Page 12 of 12
Go to
  • Lisa: I've been eating more calories than ever lately. About 4 weeks ago I decided to up my daily calorie-goal from 1200 to 1400. Mind you, at 1200 I was over by 150 or so quite often. Now that I am at 1400 I am over by 150 to 250 quite often too. But because I exercise much more than before it compensates. I upped it because I read that you should not eat below your BMR (which is 1400 for me - so without the lifestyle calories, which for the otherwise sedentary me would be 1640). I think the weightlifting really has helped me too.

Turbo: that does sound like tough stuff to deal with. We are in that age where we have to figure all those 'future' things out. Krampus started a really interesting thread about that while back.

Alexis: it's good that you see what you are doing, I hope it helps you break the cycle - it's really crappy to treat your body like that. And to treat yourself like that. I'd say, either over-eat and take the consequences (scale going up some) or just not over-eat. Hihi. Just some tough love!

Jayohwhy: Awesome you decided to go back to school. I think people should be in school like.. forever. Learning new stuff is so good for you and so much fun. Though it willbe taxing I am sure, with a job and all. Goodluck! Oh, and have you looked at old-you pictures? I have. And that made me see that I am not fat anymore.

Xiao: Oh, let us know how the dr visit went. Hope it's nothing serious! As for the stall, if there's not a medical reason it could also be that you need to up your calories for a few days and not work-out. I've had some wicked results with that. Hahah.

Krampus: you are almost below 130! I know you've been trying to get out of the 130s for a while now. So yay! And I love the article about you and your mom. Sounds like you have an awesome mom.

---

I have lost 30lbs!!! That is so much! And I just looked at pictures from a year ago, and for the first time I can actually see how fat I was. I mean, I knew I had to "lose a few" for years. But when I was at my highest weight (BMI at overweight) I did not think to myself "gosh, I am super fat." I thought. "Oh, size 42 pants is pretty darn big, I need to lose some. But my upperbody is fine, so really. it's no problem.". While in reality I had a belly, that with my build never happens till I am quite heavy. And my boobs were huge compared to how they now shrunk back to the size they've been before I gained.

So yeh. I am sort of amazed at how my body image was a bit messed up back then. If I did not have this magic-line in my head for pants-size 40/42 being the MAX and my scale at 70kg being the max (I actualy was at 73/75kg before I woke up) I could have gone to be obese and still deny it I fear.

Once I reach goal I need a new magic line. I am happy to report that my body image is doing decently. I think it's getting in line with reality. Though feeling like I look good is still a bunch of lbs away I think.
  • Lisa : thanx for the nice words... It's so hard to not compare ourselves to others. I think that's one of the worst part of human being lol

krampus : your text about you and your mom is just so touching! It is such a sweet thing to do for your mom

Alexis : "How can I be of service to others?"THAT is a nice goal That is cool to try to focus on something else than weight loss for a week! Good for you!

jayoh : I think being a Featherweight is 40% of weight loss effort / 70% of getting used to our body... the latest might be even tougher than the first one lol. Congrats on going back to school!

xiao : let us know about your doc appointment. Hope nothing is wrong!

philana : yay for a rocking body image! you go girl!

I've kinda come around (finally) about the pregnancy of my cousin and the tax money. I need to be happy for her / get used about the fact that the government will always try to *uck ourselves (sorry for the bad words lol).

I feel my water weight retention from last weekend is slowly going away, and my calories budget from yesterday was in control.

I went ''closet shopping'' yesterday and there is a few things that now fit me again. I also threw some super old and over used clothing that I was just holding on to and prepared another bag to give away. Fresher closet in progress!
  • 130.0 this morning. I feel GREAT, ate at a deficit for once yesterday (and that's with splitting an ice cream sundae with my bf at 11 pm after the Passion Pit concert) and lifted. I intended to get more cardio in but I got so hungry in the middle of my workout that I thought I was gonna barf and rushed home.

philana I can't imagine weighing 70 kg again. I didn't feel too bad and dismissed all the bad photos as just bad photos at that weight, but I was really chunky for my frame. I hope you don't worry too much about your lower body - embrace the new muscles and small midsection!

xiaobaicai I hope nothing serious is wrong! Are you exercising your periods away? If you lost 5-10 lbs would you be happy?

jayohwhy Imagine being 222 lbs trying to fit into any normal sizes! You've come so far and I am super inspired by your fitting into smaller sizes than I could ever dream of wearing, at 2 inches shorter and the sameish weight. Are you looking forward to or dreading going back to school?

Alexistrophic I hope OA helps you. You're living proof that there is no standard model for people who need it. How was yoga?

TurboMammoth $600 in taxes is chump change compared to the cost of raising a child. I am impressed that anyone can manage to find "me time" and exercise or sleep with little ones.

LisaTcan Let's be ripped size 4s. I feel good about lifting, like if I keep this up I'll be a much more compact version of myself!
  • xiao ~ Hoping that everything is OK with your lady parts... how'd the dr visit go?

philana ~ It's so true... I got stuck in this cycle of "starve during the week, then binge on the weekends" and both are elements of my controlling nature run amok. I think that I'm being "good" if I starve myself to make up for the binge. That is not "good" that is loading the slingshot for another assault. It's a much greater struggle just to eat moderately and at a "healthy minimum".

krampus ~ Hurray for deficits, but ugh about almost getting sick during the workout. Re: OA~ It really addresses the mindset more than the behavior and I just find so much sanity in 12 step programs. In the meetings that I go to, not even that many people are overweight. They must be doing something right (or have other issues, like myself... )

turbo ~Hurray for closet clearing. So inspiring! I always tell myself that I'll go shopping after I lose the weight. It might be time for me to either build the birdhouse or get out of the tree.

~~~
    Home from a rousing orch rehearsal. It went better, which is encouraging.

Food-wise, I'm just trying to do what I know works best. No eating after 8PM, yoga, water, being accountable, healthy minimum. It's not rocket science, I'm just a slow learner...
  • Girls! I only now finally noticed we are still chatting ina March thread! Haha. Oh well, amlost May, time to switch then!

Don't know why - but scale is at 134.9 today. Like, really? Maybe I am a bit dehydrated.

I got so many compliments when I went out to Parliament yesterday. I am into politics, was/am quite active for our party and now that elections are coming up it's buzzing again. So I am seeing people that I saw a lot about a year and a half ago. They see a big difference in me. And even friends that I saw just a few weeks ago. It's so nice!

Have to start preparing an answer for them asking/telling me I should not lose any more weight. In clothes I look almost thin I think. Hihi. But without clothes, not so much.
  • 130.0 this morning after a brief cardio session (21 minutes, 11 running at 7 mph and 10 on elliptical) and PF Chang's (notoriously the saltiest restaurant in America) for dinner. YES!

I bought my first size 4 pants yesterday which is victorious and great. Had a fantastic NSV this morning, I was making some dumb comment to my bf about skinny girls at the gym lifting the heavy weights and he said "oh like you?"

philana NICE! I'm glad people notice. We work hard!

Alexistrophic Doing what works should be easy, but it's not - that's why there are so few perfect hardbodies walking around!
  • xiaobaicai- i identify with the digestive issues. it's a pain! going number two had never been a problem but the past few months its been either constipation or extreme stomach pain. i hope that all your symptoms get sorted soon

Alexistrophic- i really commend you for keeping up with OA! i think it's brave to get help when you realize that you need it. you can do it!

TurboMammoth- Closet shopping is sometimes better than regular shopping! i love the feeling when you try on something that seemed so tiny before and now it fits or is too big.

philana- i noticed that we are still in "march" over here too! like, i would notice but then i forgot we are already almost in may. :X

krampus- congrats on the 4! it seems like you are really "on it" these days. nice job!
    so TOM ended today and i'm hoping the scale will get moving again. I weighed in again at 133.8 today. For the past month i've been hovering in the same weight range- which is okay, except i keep on going through the "weekend gluttony, weekday starvation" thing, which i guess is helping me keep my weight in check since the weekends have been free-for-all as of late.

I went to the hard yoga class last night. this instructor never fails to kick my butt to the point where in the middle you can't help but hate her a little bit. however, i'm sore today which is good and i was able to hold a backbend (wheel pose for all you yogis) for 3 sets of 5 breaths apiece and her breaths are long!

i got a HRM again so i can accurately gauge my burn during yoga (suunto this time on sale at sports authority) and was pleased to find that i burned 320 yesterday during yoga!

i'm going to confess that the past couple days i've been hovering at 1000 cals a day to try to force the scale down .
  • krampus : size 4!!! that is AMAZING! You must be so slim! nice work

alexistrophic : I started this thing too about not eating after 8PM... the snack lover in me scream ''WHYYYY'' every single night LOL

philana : so nice about people complimenting you! and I sooo get your point about feeling really good clothes on, but naked, just bleeeh. we're all in the same boat here, I guess..

jayo : I admire everybody who do yoga. seriously. I'm so bad at that. It seems my body never understand what my head wants it to do. Go you!

the food is doing good, the running is doing good. I hope I'll have a good week to mend with the getaway girl weekend I'm attenting next weekend... hello, alcool, dinner and cheesecake lol

I was trying to post a picture here, but I'm such a noob and I can't figure out how to do that... so here's the link to my accountability 3fc blog http://www.3fatchicks.com/diet-blogs...d-perspective/ with the picture I posted on

As I said yesterday, I went closet shopping and I found this pair of pants I was wearing at my highest weight a year ago... there is a freaking HUGE GAP in the back! I was astonished when I tryied them on. My boyfriend thought it was really ''Biggest Looser'' style lol
  • Sorry guys, crazy week! I found out I got accepted to the University of Maryland for social work and I think I might go! My boyfriend wants me to be there and wants to help pay for it..I'm kinda terrified to move to DC with him though, he'll be all I have and I'll be pretty finically dependant on him since I can't work. I'm pretty independent so it's nerve wracking.

Weight is holding steady even though I've been eating about 1200-1400 calories a day..oh well!

Krampus - That story was lovely, you and your mom seem like a great pair.

Turbo - You look so slim! Congrats

Jayohwhy - sometimes I eat low to try and get the scale to move too..it doesnt always work though!!

Philana - That's so nice you got all of those compliments! I really want to get more involved in local politics

Alexis - glad you're feeling back on track! Ps..my dad is a rocket scientist (for real) and he still can't figure out weight loss
  • I saw 128.5 on the scale after the gym last night!!! I made a super healthy dinner but succumbed to the midnight munchies and had a chocolate chip creme pie (Little Debbies...ahhh). Weight was at 130 this morning but I can really feel it in my midsection - things are tightening up and my arms and legs are sore after weights yesterday.

LisaTcan Congrats on acceptance to U of Maryland!!! Don't be too scared, he wouldn't offer unless he was willing to help you out.

TurboMammoth OMG your torso is so teeny tiny! I am nowhere near that kind of slim. I hope my 4 pants will zip more comfortably soon.

jayohwhy I hope the scale moves soon! 1000 calories a day with 320 of yoga burn is pretty grim...

EDIT: My mom and I won that Tulip luncheon modeling thing! I gotta get my rear in gear so I can wear a size 4 dress I'm super excited about the prizes, too...

Quote:
    The winning mother/daughter combo will model in this year’s fashion show at the Tulip Luncheon (tickets are available here). And, in addition to getting to wear outfit after fabulous outfit from Fancy Schmancy, the winning duo will walk away with nearly $600 in prizes, including:

A mother/daughter “Mini-Spa Day” at Shapes & Colours, 65 Wolf Road, Newbury Plaza, Albany including facial, manicure and pedicure ($360 value)
    A $150 gift certificate to Fancy Schmancy, 1800 Western Avenue, Albany
    A $75 Gift Certificate to dp/Yono’s, 35 Chapel Street, Albany
  • Woah-- krampus, congratulations! that's so great!!

I'm feeling a little off today. Weighed in at 106.0, a half-pound gain from last week. Given that I haven't work out in a week and have been eating all kinds of high-carb, high-sodium junk, that's not nearly as bad as I thought... but dresses I had altered down came back both smaller and more expensive than I expected yesterday, so now I *have* to get myself in shape again, or I have nothing to wear to work!

On the positive side, I realized earlier today that even though I met my boyfriend 15 lbs heavier, the compliments have definitely been more frequent recently. It's good motivation to stay on track
  • Lackadaisy - I'm contemplating a move to DC, do you like it there?

Krampus - Congrats!!! I thought you should win

So I went out to a bar tonight and still came in under 1400 calories! I also went to the gym this afternoon so I'm proud of myself
  • lackadaisy: Where you're at currently with your weight is where I'd like to be -- I see our heights are the same, and if you've got a marathon as your goal, I imagine our activity levels are the same. What kinds of calorie-counts do you eat per day? I've been stalled, and am taking a week off exercise (haven't had a break in forever) to reset a little. Do you have any advice as to balancing a lot of activity with calorie reductions?

LisaTcan: Congratulations on your admit! The University of Maryland is a top-flight school.
    ---
    So I went to the large People's Hospital's gynecology and obstetrics ward with two Chinese co-workers to help me. I do speak a fair bit of Mandarin, but not enough to discuss the details of a medical problem. I paid a little extra to see a "professor" doctor, rather than the standard one. We didn't wait too long. She ordered blood and urine tests to check hormones, a pelvic exam, and a transvaginal ultrasound. The last of these tests was an experience I'll never forget.

I've had a TVU in the states, where I laid with a sheet over my knees in a comfortable, private room with two female techs who were happy to answer all my questions. Here, you keep your shoes and pants on, just dropping them down around your ankles and drawing your legs up to your chest. You're on a plastic bed with just a paper towel under your butt. Cleaning staff and other patients go in and out of the room all during the procedure, so that they are privy to prime shots of your anatomy. They run the department like an assembly line. I wasn't upset over it or anything, but it was certainly an eye-opening shock.

Anyway, my fears were relieved by the ultrasound results, which showed no growths or ovarian cysts. Blood results were abnormal: luteinizing hormone is low and testosterone is high. They suggested birth control pills, but what they really pushed for was a hot liquid preparation of Dang Gui (Dong Quai). I'm not keen on either, although I might give the Chinese medicine a try. When in Rome, I suppose.

So it's a hormonal disturbance, probably related to my exercise habits. I think I'm just going to take a week off exercise. Sort of a waste of 800 kuai, but I'm comforted to know it's nothing serious.
  • I ran 4 1/2 miles after work yesterday. It was hard but not REAL hard, and I definitely felt less tired after than I did the last time I ran outside. Dinner was a Moe's burrito bowl - only one scoop of rice, one scoop of black beans, all the veggies, chicken, and a bunch of salsa. I felt absolutely stuffed to overflowing but I know I stayed under 1500 calories for the whole day. Still 130.0.

xiaobaicai Glad to hear nothing serious is wrong. It sounds like you handled the (lack of) privacy thing well - a lot of people would be really upset about it.

LisaTcan Well done! I struggle to keep calories below 1800-2000 if I go out.

lackadaisy OK when did this boyfriend happen? I remember you writing about being single. You're a big motivation for me, I need to kick it into gear - though I have to lose 20 lbs to be proportionally your size which may never happen.
  • xiaobaicai I have no idea how many calories I'm eating now, but it was was 1400 while losing, and now closer to 1800 in maintenance. I think I'm regaining a little bit right now since I'm not working out enough, but I'll plan to keep eating around the same level and working out (or doing active things) 4-5x a week. Eating less along with less exercise just means skinny-fat, after all.

I'm also really glad to hear you have no serious problems, and survived the Chinese medical system. That is not a trivial experience. Taking time off from exercise is tough, of course, but necessary for your body's recovery, too (or at least that's what I tell myself when I need to rest, like the past two weeks).

LisaTcan - I'm not sure about DC yet; I've only lived here for 10 months. The weather is lovely today so I love it. Often, it can be an earnest, slightly-un-hip place... but it is full of beautiful runs and free museums and people I love, so I can't really feel anything but happy here, right?

krampus - I'm blushing! I don't think I should be an inspiration to anyone. You inspire me with your workouts -- I am so lazy some days. the boyfriend happened four months ago... tomorrow? Still new, still exciting. If he forgets the 3-month anniversary, perhaps less I'll be less excited.

Ate SO much yesterday last night - oh my goodness - but I think it was all high-fiber vegetables that made it into the massive smoothies-with-kale-"chips" my friend and I scarfed down over late-night girltalk. Weighed in at 104.8 with wet hair today, so maybe no damage? I love how much I can eat when I stick with healthful things.

We had a lovely conversation about feminine power, self-love, and food... she is a raw foodist, and had fascinating things to say about how to be in social settings and turn down "pushers". In new-age speak: You have to think about how the energy of the place affects you, and whether you are strong enough to not be affected by it; if not, avoid the negative energy. Either way, don't think about "deprivation" or "guilt" or "social awkwardness", think about what you want for your own body, and think about whether you can do it in that space, not about the other people in that space (your friends, family, etc). The point is, sometimes settings/places have their own "vibe" that can be wrong for you and better avoided, even if you love the other people who are present.

I thought that was a pretty generally-useful way to think dealing with those situations for anyone on a restricted diet, whether a raw food diet (hers) or a vegan diet (mine) or just a healthful one (all of us).