Diabetic puss

• My mums cat has been recently diagnosed with diabetes and ever since he's been on the insulin he seems crazily hungry and he demands food 24/7. Once he has devoured his own dinner he tries to steal my cats food, we can't leave anything edible out cos he will steal it, he has learnt to open cupboards and the fridge. He has even fought his way through tin foil to get at my brothers chicken that was wrapped up waiting to go in the oven. Is he hungry or just greedy and how can we stop him being so naughty and stealing food?
  • My 6 year old min pin was diagnosed with diabetes last November. At first, he was ALWAYS hungry, and has even become aggressive with my other dogs when it comes to food. All you can really do is make sure there is no food on the floor (my 18 month old son throws his snacks) and that there is no way for him to be able to get to any food. It's amazing what tricks they will try to get to food!

I would suggest that you have your mom take her cat to the vet to have his blood sugar tested. He may need his insulin dosage adjusted. My dog's insulin dose has been increased a few times, and he is still interested in food, but is not nearly as hungry and aggressive as before. It could just be a matter of her cat needing his dose adjusted.

Good luck!