Discouraged and afraid...

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I have been calorie cycling for 4 weeks- I exercise about an hour a day (running, weight lifting, HITT)... I'm on my feet all day as a waitress and dance teacher, and have averaged about 1400 calories a day for 4 weeks. I haven't lost one ounce. I know that I dont NEED to lose weight- but before I gained 9 lbs over the holidays I felt SO great. I know I can get there... I've done it before. I also have an audition coming up in 2 weeks and- as sad as it is... I'm a dancer and the first things they'll look at are my hair and body.

Looking through the forums, I'm pretty sure most of the response to this will be to up my calories... That scares me to death. I'm not losing on 1400- why would 1700 be better? I had my "high calorie day" at 1800 a few days ago and the next morning the scale was up to 135.8... I know, I know, water weight. But still- from 1800 calories..?

I weigh and measure... I exercise hard... I guess I just needed a place to vent

If anyone sees anything I'm missing PLEASE tell me. I'm so discouraged.
  • Maybe you are overworking and your body is trying to compensate for that or the foods you are eating within the calories are not the best mix. There are a number of things that could be happening.
  • First, I know you know this, but sometimes it helps to have someone else confirm it: You cannot measure how well upping calories works by eating more for one day in accordance with your normal routine of an average of 1,400 calories per day. Of course the scale went up: there was more food in your system, you may have had more to drink because you ate more, there may have been more sodium given the fact that you ate more food, etc. One day means nothing at all, and it wasn't even one day where you let yourself eat more. As I say, it was one day in your normal routine.

Second, 1,400 is very little for someone your height who is moving all day, including dancing, and exercising an hour a day on top of that. I never eat that little when I am losing and I am shorter and lighter than you are and I sit on my behind all day. I do exercise, however—three times a week.

How old are you? If you are in your 20s, your metabolism is likely faster. I'm knocking on the door of 40 and I eat more than 1,400 calories to lose weight.

Why not add an average of 100 calories more a day for a week and see what that does? Then add a hundred more if that doesn't work. Weight loss is all about trial and error. If it backfires, well, you have 700 to 1,400 more calories to account for. That's hardly a big deal in the grand scheme of things. And you will at least have more information about what works and doesn't work.
  • I looked at your previous posts and I see that you struggle with binging, and have done so even within the past four weeks. Are you sure you have kept to 1,400 calories a day? And, of course, binging and subsequent calorie restraint can wreak havoc on your metabolism. If you have implemented healthier habits, it may take your body time to catch up.

I'm sorry you are struggling. Try to be patient while you implement changes and work to find what works for you: eating more, tweaking your food choices, changing up your exercise routine, etc.
  • I agree with everything the other replied to you - eating a bit more will probably make you lose fat faster, especially looking at your physical activity levels. I've recently done waitressing and I know exactly how physical that job is! You are simply not allowed to eat as low as 1400cal a day, because your metabolism will slow down to the speed where it will try to survive and hold on to each and every calorie and piece of fat.

Also, do you take into account where you get your calories from? It might be that you eat too many carbs and too little fat and protein. All calories are not created equal and carbs are the first ones to blame for weight gain.

If you're not doing it already, you could try eating a high protein breakfast, such as omlete with low fat cottage cheese and coffee with cream. It will make a huge difference compared to a high carb breakfast, because of two factors: it will directly promote fat loss and it will lower your appetite.

If all else fails, try soft food supplements. L-carnitin is excellent for fat loss if taken at least 30min before a workout. The highest L-carnitine content in normal food is found in lean beef (~95mg per 100g beef), otherwise it's possible to get it with protein shakes or as pills (your body won't ever use more than 1000mg per day and taking more will only be a waste of money). The natural one in beef metabolises better though.

I hope you will see results soon! Good luck with the audition!
  • Thanks SO much for the replies everyone! I had a breakdown on the scale this morning and it means the world to have some extra support...

As far as bingeing goes- I for sure fall into the binge/restrict category. For a few days after a binge I cut calories.. And I do count even binge calories... So I really do stay around 1400/day. I know.. Bad- actually admitting that makes me realize how bad that is. I'd never tell someone else to do it.. So that's got to stop.

I am leaving to lake Tahoe tomorrow for a week of skiing- what better time to enjoy a few extra calories than on vacation, right? (we'll be skiing all week- so I'm not too worried about getting lazy). I'm scared- but the math does make sense. What's an extra 1400 calories in the long run?

Hopefully adding a few extra calories will help me feel less deprived and less likely to binge anyways-- so those 1400 calories I would've eaten in a binge can be used in a healthy way... Right??

That's actually exactly what I eat for breakfast! An egg white omelette- every morning. ;-)

I really do appreciate the replies... In my own head eating more sounds like this scary, out of control thing- but writing it out and reading your responses- it sounds so easy and reasonable. Thanks again!!
  • I, too, was thinking that 1,400 calories a day is likely to encourage a binge. I'm so glad you are open to trying to feed yourself more. I do understand how hard that can be mentally. Good luck, and enjoy your vacation!
  • I'm not going to say what's already been said, but I will use myself as an example.

I was eating 1200-1400 calories over the summer and running and going to the gym. Too much exercise for too little calories! I lost weight still so I kept it up.

My knees were bothering me and I was starting work, so in September I stopped running. I actually lost weight faster in the fall when I eliminated running. Still 1200-1400 calories though. I'm sure if I had increased my calories I might have lost at an even better pace!
  • Just wanted to pipe in and say I understand how stressful weight can be as a performer, I used to work in musical theatre and quit a couple of years ago. One of the reasons I quit was because I couldn't stand the pressure of having to be in top shape and being judged based on my looks all the time. I always felt huge going to auditions and I was a size 4 at the time..which isn't huge in the real world but it was in the acting world.

Anyways you sound like you've figured some stuff out I think easing up on your strict dieting would stop the binging which in turn might help you lose a few pounds. I also bet it you're that active with your stats you're probably pretty small!

Take care and enjoy your vacation
  • Could you post a daily menu? I find nutrient intake to be important for me.
  • Thanks again! And sure-- I basically eat the same thing every day..

Breakfast: 4 egg whites with spinach, mushrooms and peppers, and a coffee with Splenda. (150 cal)

Snack: protein shake with almond milk and whey protein powder (180 cals)

Lunch: some kind of fruit (apple/berries/oranges) and a dukan pancake (oat bran, Greek yogurt, and 2 egg whites) and a Luna protein bar ( 400 cals)

Snack: can tuna or chicken with some kind of veggie dipped in pb2 mixed with Greek yogurt (250 calories)

Dinner: varies but it's usually a protein and a vegetable- uses up the rest of my calories for the day. (350 calories or so)
  • And @ lisaTcan: it is one of the hardest parts of the job.. But I love it too much I guess ;-) its nice to know not everyone thinks I'm crazy... I do get weird looks from even turning down junk food or treats- heaven forbid someone find out I'm trying to lose a few pounds!! So thank you :-)
  • I am shorter then you (5'6) and am a university student. That means almost all of my day is spent either sitting on my butt during lectures, or sitting on my butt studying (fun life eh?). I eat 1400-1600 to lose weight. I am losing like crazy now that I actually started eating that amount. Before hand, I would have days were I would eat maybe 800 calories. Other days I would eat 2000. That's why I gained all the weight I did. Now that I am eating the correct amount to lose, the weight is flying off at a good pace. If I was to eat less, chances are I'd have a lot more of those binge days where I would eat upwards of 2000+ calories.
  • I would consider incorporating 3-5 servings of healthy fats per day into your plan. I think you will be pleasantly surprised by the results.
  • Hey all those who answered- THANK YOU! I came home from vacation last night.. Averaged 1800 calories over the week.. I still exercised every morning (p90x or insanity) but due to almost NO snow, we only went skiing once- so we sat around a LOT, plus it's a 9 hour drive- do that was 2 days of literally just sitting. Much more food and much less exercise than normal.

I had been stuck, no less than 134.6 for a month... I weighed in this morning and nearly died....

130.6!! 4 pounds?? I'm FREAKING out! I completely expected to maintain over the trip- but even by the last day I was noticing that I was looking a little more like my pre-Christmas self. I just didn't want to get my hopes up. More food, less exercise... But it seems like you are all spot on! Some of it had to have been water, but i don't even care... I feel like a million dollars! That stupid number finally changed and Ive discovered that I dont have to starve and kill myself exercising to lose.

Anyways- I just HAD to share and to say Thank you again. :-) I'm still so blown away.