Estrogen Dominance

• Has anyone experienced estrogen dominance that improved with weight loss? I understand the connection between belly fat and estrogen, so I think losing the weight will solve the problem (if it is one). However, I also understand that estrogen dominance can also interfere with weight loss, and my loss has been awfully slow, even when I'm being good. This makes the idea of using products to increase the loss seem attractive.

I was at a Naturopathic Doctor (ND) yesterday, who suggested that I might have an issue with estrogen dominance. He recognized a symptom that is not real obvious, that suggested a potential problem. My regular doctor had already ordered labs to have my hormones tested based on other symptoms and complaints, so I should have an answer on this one soon.

ND talked to me a little bit about diet programs, or hormone therapy to aid in a faster loss, which sounds really good to me (heck, this elusive symptom could have been him blowing hot air to gain business... who knows). But at the same time, I've done programs and followed strict protocols and I'm just not in the mind set to go back to anything like that right now. Except maybe I'd be willing to try certain prescription appetite suppressants, which would curb my appetite without having to restrict my diet. I just think if I keep working hard, the weight is going to come off, no matter how slow. And then, if I have hormonal imbalances, then I can consider options.

And please don't read too much in to this. I don't eat gigantic slices of cake and mashed potatoes drowning in butter by the gallon and complain that I'm not losing weight. I weigh and measure, and eat healthy, for the most part. I also enjoy the occasional (emphasize "occasional") pizza, sweets and other "bad" foods that I compensate for by counting calories.... flexibility is what I want right now.
  • Yes, I was much more estrogen dominant 80 pounds ago, to the point where it impacted my health in subtle ways. The only fix I have used is weight loss, and it has made the condition pretty much vanish.

Fortunately my symptoms were not severe to the point of fibroids or cancer, but they were still very disruptive to my life.
  • I want to say that mine improved dramatically with weight loss, but I'm going thru the pause right now, so ... I really don't know.