Gained half of it back :(

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I'm back. I had lost about 50 lbs and even though I hadnt reached my goal I was feeling pretty good. Fast forward a year,a move in with the boyfriend and a new year resolution I Stepped on the scale and realized I had gained 25 of it back and was back in the 200s I can't believe it!!! I want to get back on it but feel depressed and helpless that I let this happen. Has anyone else felt this.I worked so hard to lose it and let it come back so quick. How do I deal with this and help to get my mind set to finish my ultimate goal? It doesn't help that my boyfriend isn't very supportive. Any advice is appreciated!!!
  • I feel ya. I gained 25 since this summer myself. I was 2 pounds away from being the smallest I've ever been in my adult life and just... got too relaxed. Then got sick of trying. Then was just "taking a break." Then was just "enjoying the holidays." Ugh! Time to dust ourselves off and keep going. We did it before, we can do it again!
  • Beachlover, I have lost and gained the same 50-75 lbs. more times than I care to recall. In between those large gaines/losses, I have gained any variety of lbs. and lost and gained, etc. I guess I'm trying to say is that I get it. I understand the struggle. I understand the overwhelming feelings of disappointment that coincide with weight gain. However....none of those feelings are going to change anything for the better. On the contrary! It is most likely that they will cause you to gain even more weight.

The best way that I have found to deal with this type of a situation is to just let it go. Accept and love yourself for who you are and acknowledge the fact that you are more of an expert now. You know what it takes to lose those lbs. and you also know (hopefully) some of the things in life that can lead you to gain. The only thing that is useful about the past (in this case) is what you learn from it. That's it. So, pick yourself up, dust yourself off and make a commitment to stick to your plan. But here's what I do....I make an absolute commitment to just stick to my plan for a single day. Yep. That's not too terrible or overwhelming is it? Well.....it kind of can be. Nevertheless, it IS possible and you can do it! Commit to one day and imagine yourself waking up the next morning and feeling so good about staying on track. Then? Then you do the same thing for another day and another day and before you know it, you're back on track and you start to feel empowered again. You keep that momentum going as long as possible and within some time, you realize that you're actually doing it! If you slip, repeat the above.
  • I understand, as you can see I joined this site in 2010 and I've only lost 17 lbs. That's because the first time I joined I lost about 31 lbs, then I gained it all back, then I lost 20 lbs then I gained it back. My advice is to continue working towards your goal and when you reach it just weigh yourself weekly so you don't get to high on the scale. I also reward myself, I set weight goals and when I reach them I buy myself something.
  • I was nearly 300 pounds and got down into the 170s. Now? 230s.

I've been gaining back for several years, yoyoing up and down,but this fall/winter just packed on the pounds.

I hate it. Everyone hates the regain. But it happens to nearly everyone.

So, how to deal with it? I've had to get to the place where I could recommit to myself, and get back on track.

So, please don't beat yourself up, and know you are in very good company!
  • Quote: Beachlover, I have lost and gained the same 50-75 lbs. more times than I care to recall. In between those large gaines/losses, I have gained any variety of lbs. and lost and gained, etc. I guess I'm trying to say is that I get it. I understand the struggle. I understand the overwhelming feelings of disappointment that coincide with weight gain. However....none of those feelings are going to change anything for the better. On the contrary! It is most likely that they will cause you to gain even more weight.

The best way that I have found to deal with this type of a situation is to just let it go. Accept and love yourself for who you are and acknowledge the fact that you are more of an expert now. You know what it takes to lose those lbs. and you also know (hopefully) some of the things in life that can lead you to gain. The only thing that is useful about the past (in this case) is what you learn from it. That's it. So, pick yourself up, dust yourself off and make a commitment to stick to your plan. But here's what I do....I make an absolute commitment to just stick to my plan for a single day. Yep. That's not too terrible or overwhelming is it? Well.....it kind of can be. Nevertheless, it IS possible and you can do it! Commit to one day and imagine yourself waking up the next morning and feeling so good about staying on track. Then? Then you do the same thing for another day and another day and before you know it, you're back on track and you start to feel empowered again. You keep that momentum going as long as possible and within some time, you realize that you're actually doing it! If you slip, repeat the above.
    LOVE this!!
  • Thank you all for what you've said!!! There was a lot of good advice. I do really need to let it go and just move forward! Hopefully I will get there. Just have to take it one day at a time!
  • I lost about 40 and gained about 30 back.
  • Well Beach and the rest of you, I'm right there with you! I can't believe I've regained so many pounds after working so hard to lose it!

I'm re-commiting to lose it again and be done. I know I've gained MORE than half mine back and it just makes me sick. But I know that I've just got to move forward from here and not look back. It's a new start and a new day and of course a new year!

I officially start tomorrow.

Would you all like to start a support group for Looking Ahead and Losing it Again??

I for one would love to have the specific support of others who are right in the boat with me!
  • I'm there as well. I beat myself up but you know what I eventually dusted it off and realized that if I want this I just have to do it. Now I have my plan in motion and even though I had gained back 37 out of the 45 lbs I had lost I am moving forward. It's hard and a lot of work but if we did it before we can do it again. Good luck and keep in touch!!
  • I have to. lost 30 pounds gained 20 back.. so I am trying again too.
    Good news is we didnt it once , WE CAN do it again!

Keep the Faith!
    Grace.
  • I lost 30 pounds smart and safe last year prior to my wedding...I put 25 of them back on within 4 months. I just came to this conclusion myself, if I keep dwelling on what I HAVEN'T done, I'll lose focus on what I have done. And if I dwell on letting myself go off track, I won't push myself to go back on track.

Good luck on getting BACK on track, and always remember..You are BEAUTIFUL. You are WORTH treating yourself well and loving your body. Best of luck =]
  • Hi there,

Long story short, I hit my goal of 125 lbs in June 2010. Hit my goal! It was amazing. I couldn't believe it, and I felt so wonderful. Then I went on vacation that summer and gained a little. Then that fall I gained a little more. I've never been that low ever since.

I've gained some of the weight back. Not all of it, just some, but still it's pretty disappointing. Pants not zipping anymore. Once again, there is a pile of clothing in my closet that doesn't even KIND of fit.

Over the holidays (I'm pretty much talking Halloween until New Years), I've eaten pretty poorly. Cookies, you name it. The weight is up, up up. And in that time I had moments of hopelessness where I thought to myself "I'm going to gain it all back". That sick thinking was creeping back into my mind.

What I can say is, you are not alone. I swore up and down that I would NEVER allow myself to be out of the 130's ever again. I worked so hard to get the weight off, I swore I would not let it happen. But I did.

I've been eating well since the new year, and I feel a lot better. More energy, and more hopeful that I'm heading in a good direction instead of back down the drain. I don't have all the answers, but I do know that eating better has made me feel better. It's really never too late to change directions and go the right way. I don't know if I'll be back at 125 again, but I'm hoping to fit into some of my clothing again by spring.

Best of luck to you in this journey!
  • Yep, so many of us have been there. I'll add my story to the bunch.

I started at 220 and lost 67 pounds. My goal was to get under 150 (healthy BMI) and I was only 3 pounds away! But then I hit a plateau and only lost about 1 pound in 1 1/5 months. I got discouraged and decided to take a "break" for a week to see if I could shake my body out of it. Well, a week became a year and I gained 45 pounds back!

So, here I am, started over again. I was like you, I felt so depressed and ashamed that I gained so much back. I felt like everyone was saying "well, she was looking good but now she's packing it all back on." Some of the clothes I'd bought hardly fit anymore and others didn't fit at all!

But, the way I see it, you can mope about it (and possibly gain even more) or do something about it. I won't lie, starting for the second time is harder. The feelings of anger and shame don't help and it's also not new anymore. It's harder to feel happy for the pounds lost because of the feeling that they shouldn't be there in the first place. But you just need to give yourself a shake and take it one day at a time. Don't think about it as gaining and having to do it again. Think of it as starting new.
  • I'm right there with you. In July, I was back up to about 197 (my heaviest non-pregnancy weight). I got down to about 178...then gained it all back. I'm going to weigh-in today, but I'm guessing about 200. Maybe a couple lbs over, but hoping not. Ugh. We just have to dust ourselves off and start over!!