January Feathers Chat

You're on Page 5 of 9
Go to
  • Quote: Dorian : LOL we'll comfort each other when our team won't make it to the playoffs this spring then!

LisaTcan : Going to a closer gym is a super idea And a friend going with you is even more awesome!!

My weight it like a yoyo theses days. I was down 2 pounds on monday, up 2 pounds today, it's exhausting. I hate too much for lunch, but it was some healthy food (at least...). I'll go for a run tonight to shake this body up!

I hope you're having a good day!!
    Hi all!

LisaTcan I have to admit, I dont think Id be able to find the motivation either if my gym was 30 minutes away!! Glad you found one open 24/7!

Krampus Sounds like youve gotten your binge eating under control! GOod for you! YOull be in the 120's in no time!

Im feeling a bit discouraged with this. I just cant seem to get back in the swing of things. I have visibly gained weight over the holidays. Thats what I get for having the all or nothing AT ALL attitude. My clothes are tighter and I have love handles for the first time in my life. Its scary to gain in your good areas. I know that weight lifting makes you retain water so I am going to blame that for now for no move on the scale. Could that be the reason? I started 6 days ago and my calories were as follows...1300..1550...2000..1500...1650...1400. I have also worked out 3 of those days with a mixture of lifting weights and cardio. Am I not cutting enough calories? What do you all think? Ive also noticed ive just been bloated all over. My face, stomach, etc. I think maybe the protein shakes are doing this?

Hope everyone is having a great Tuesday!
  • Diane, it sounds like your calories were pretty good the past 6 days. I know it's good to vary them (or maybe that is just a myth, but I believe it). I try to do that as well, and on days that I work out hard I eat more than usual. I understand the discouragement though. There are some days that I weigh the same but feel puffy all over.

Krampus, sounds like you're getting things back under control. Always a good feeling!

Lisa, great news about the gym! When I was in college I joined a 24/7 as well and would go in the middle of the night if some school work was stressing me out. Nothing like a 3AM run haha!

Pixie, think we're all obsessive at some point as well. It's weird, there are days that I'm strangely content, and others that I feel like I have to get the weight off right that second crazy. I keep hoping that one day those crazy days will be gone!

Today I did a pretty rough workout, partially because I felt pretty good but also because I was feeling stressed out over some nonsense. I love that post workout feeling that gets all of the gremlins out and calms me down. I've always had an excess amount of energy so running is what keeps my life peaceful. Hope everyone is having a good day!
  • Krampus - Good from you for getting on track!

TurboMammoth - That always happens to me! It's just normal fluctuation but it drives me crazy. I think I might start only weighing my self once a week to help with the stress of that, I may also find it more motivating.

Pinkrunner - Oh my god that sounds amazing!! I love working out when I'm stressed out it feels amazing! I wish my foot wasn't broken because I would go to the gym and run right now. I can't wait to recover and join this gym.

This is totally off topic but I'm really stressed out - I'm having a really hard time deciding whether to stay with my boyfriend of 2 years or not. He's a partier and I'm a home body getting ready to start a career and hoping to get married and think about having kids soon. As much as I love him I'm worried he isn't the man to do that with. I'm up typing this while I wait for him to come home...at 2am on a Tuesday

Sorry - needed to vent. Night ladies
  • Hello ladies! I think I'm finally what can be considered a featherweight! I've lost about 17 pounds since august and I have 5 more to go until goal (although I may shoot for lower once I meet my initial goal). These last 5 pounds are pesky little buggers!!!!
  • Quote:

This is totally off topic but I'm really stressed out - I'm having a really hard time deciding whether to stay with my boyfriend of 2 years or not. He's a partier and I'm a home body getting ready to start a career and hoping to get married and think about having kids soon. As much as I love him I'm worried he isn't the man to do that with. I'm up typing this while I wait for him to come home...at 2am on a Tuesday

This is a definite red flag in a relationship... If you haven't talked to him yet about your future plans, please do... If you have and he's still out there with «the boys», and he doesn't care, double red flag... Get a new guy, you sound too nice for him...
  • Quote: Hello ladies! I think I'm finally what can be considered a featherweight! I've lost about 17 pounds since august and I have 5 more to go until goal (although I may shoot for lower once I meet my initial goal). These last 5 pounds are pesky little buggers!!!!
    laurlaur
  • It's great seeing you girls active here again! I hang around the 20somethings board a lot because this place has gotten so quiet but I like it here! Hihi.

Welcome to the new featherweights also!
    --

I am back on track for 2 or 3 weeks now. The first week went only so-so but there definately was a calorie deficit. I lost one pound. But that's all. I am really stricht for over a week, with a bit of a 1000 calorie screw-up in the weekend. That I totally managed to fix the monday right after with 600calorie exercise and only eating 1000 calories. But the scale is just NOT moving.

You girls are all way closer to a great weight for your height than I am. How did you get there? The 17lbs during the summer were such a piece of cake I am just shocked this is going so SLOW. I am serious about exercise since last friday again. So I hope that is gonna help. I also put my calorie intake at 1100 for a while just to see what happens. If I go over that a bit and end up at 1250 it's better than a limit of 1250 and going over it a bit at 1500.

I NEED to atleast lose 9lbs. The rest is real vanity stuff. But I want to fit into nice size jeans again.
  • Quote:
    TurboMammoth - That always happens to me! It's just normal fluctuation but it drives me crazy. I think I might start only weighing my self once a week to help with the stress of that, I may also find it more motivating.

One the first thing, the fluctuations of the scale are drinving me too!!! Before I was WI once a week, and I don't know why, I started to WI pretty much every morning last summer. But since I am getting near goal, my weight is just going up and down... aaaaaaaah!

For your boyfriend, I know how you feel :S he'll probably get at a point in his life when he'll be ready to settle down.. the question is more ''are you ready to wait for him?'' it must be a hard situation for you right now.

philana : you said something like ''You girls are all way closer to a great weight for your height than I am.'' When I look at the current weight and you goals weight of everyone in here, I feel that my goal weight my still be too high LOL You all look so slim!!!! Oh and I saw in you signature that you have a mini goal of running a 5k in march? that is nice to know that there are runners here too!

I'm thinking seriously about starting to track again sooooon. I've stopped tracking and writing down my stuff (but still paying TONS of attention to what I eat). I'm running a lot that I felf that it could probably compensate a bit the a bit bigger food intake.

As I'm still a the same weight ± 2 lbs since months, might not be the better idea ever...

How you're all having a great day
  • philana, I'm trying to get to running a 5k too! I actually ran 5k (not in a race, just outdoors) for the first time yesterday, but I'm trying to get to where I feel fast enough to be comfortable actually running in a race It's good to know I'm not the only one with that as a goal! What kind of training have you been doing for it?
  • LisaTcan - I'm so sorry, beautiful. I know it's hard to end relationships. I just wanted to say that you deserve someone wonderful who will WANT to spend the rest of their life with you at home, settled down instead of out partying. Like Ilene said, if you've discussed it and he still doesn't want to give up his hard-partying ways, it could be time to just go your separate ways in life. Whatever you choose, I hope you make sure you're putting yourself first.
  • Dianne - big hugs to you, I think your calorie counts look great - sometimes it takes a few days/weeks for changes to become noticeable, but with your mixed eating/exercise routine perseverance will definitely pay off.

pinkrunner - That rough workout sounds rewarding. I really need to start burning off my frustration by running instead of hitting the peace pipe and sleeping too much.

Lisa - I recently let a 5-year relationship go because we were in different places in life, and it was hard - but I made the right choice and now I've found someone who is pretty much on the same page as me, and the difference is absolutely crazy (good crazy). I'd make sure I really talked things over with your guy before making any big decisions. No matter the outcome, I hope you'll be happy and feel like you did the right thing.

philana - If it's any consolation, I feel like I look 15 lbs heavier than I am because I'm so flabby these days. What's your dream size in European sizes? I bought some German 34s from H&M last year and was SO excited about it.

TurboMammoth - Up and down is the worst. Sometimes it feels like there's no logic to what we do vs. what we weigh!

laurlaur - welcome! We might have the same name. Nothing feels as amazing as running X distance for the first time. Congrats!

Yesterday was a write-off. I was in a weird head space and ended up eating a dumb amount of food at Denny's, and then fell asleep at like 9:30 pm watching the State of the Union address (don't think I missed much...). Today I hope to do better; my "good streak" was going so well!
  • Ladies - Thanks for the encouragement, I know it's a red flag but deciding if it's a deal breaker is a tough decision. I've applied for grad schools in DC (where he works and commutes to) and Toronto and I feel like when I find out where I get in it'll be time to make the choice.

Laurlaur - welcome!! Running is amazing!! Congrats

Philiana - Haha, I always think that too when I read other people's heights and weights. It's silly though, I'm totally uncomfortable in my body and really flabby. I'm still wearing size 8 jeans at this weight! I really need to get back to working out.

Krampus - I totally have a dream size! I mostly wear size 38 in European sizes and would love love love to be a 34.
  • krampus & LisaTcan

34? OMG. Not in my wildest dreams. Though I admit, I've never tried to get into a 34 since I'm an adult. Who knows what can happen? Haha. But honestly: my legs are bulky. Right now I am in 38 and sometimes 40 (!!!). I want to get to 36. That feels really well. The problem is, I already wear size 36/34 for my upper body. If I want to get to 34 jeans, I don't know what that would do to my healthy look. So - who knows? I aim for 36!

laurlaur: Oh, I wish I was there! I am not even at a mile run without breaks yet. But I set up the 5km run so I know I'll be ready. I have to be. It keeps me working at it! Haha.

--
    Oh, and just a vent: I hate crappy carbs! I've been eating less carbs and good complex carbs for weeks, but then yesterday at friends I had too much crappy carbs. Sugar. Chips. Then today I had a healthy lunch but felt like I needed bread, so I had "white bread" with it. And now I am just hungry beyond belief. I know it's them danged carbs. It's not like I am -over- my calories. I am not even over my amount of carbs for today, but they were just the emtpy ones. And on low cal, those just kill you. lol.

Another update, lol: I just went absolutely bonkers on my twiststepper. It's such a flimsy thing I feel like no real workout is to be had on it. But it's easy and burns calories while I watch tv. Today being the 4th in a row I am on it I decided to mix it up some. I watched tv for an hour and just did normal stepping. Can't do very high intensity because the resistance isn't great. But then I added in 3 intervals of 5/10 minutes where I put up my most swingy music, added small handweights of a pound each and did some crazy boxing/dancing/rowing/weightlifting thing while stepping. It was HILARIOUS. And I worked up an amazing sweat. Too bad I can't figure out how much calories I actually burned. All the websites say something different. hihi.
  • First off, I'm so happy to see that there are so many people running! Last week my long run was 12 miles, and I always feel that there is no better feeling than completing a long run, feeling good, and knowing that you can throw in a few extra calories for the day because of it. I did 9 miles on Monday and 6 yesterday, but woke up today feeling a little under the weather so I guess Wednesday will be my off day from working out (There is that fine line where exercise will make you feel better, or make it worse, and I think today it would make it worse). So far my calories have been on track so I'm hoping to keep it up.

Lisa, the only advice I have is to go with your gut. A long term relationship can be difficult to end, but if you're not feeling it anymore, it may be time to part ways. I think a big factor will be how he handles the situation if you sit down and talk to him about it. I'm like you, I'd prefer to stay home (I'm not big on parties and drinking), and my husband is the same way. If your boyfriend is going through a phase, it probably won't matter in the long run...however, if this is how he plans to live indefinitely, then I think you two have some things to talk about. Whatever you do, just make sure that you're happy.

philana, my weakness has always been cake and sugary, bad for you things, so I know where you're coming from! Try to stay strong and also remember that one slip up isn't a big deal in the long run

Krampus, I have those write off days too. I really want some ice cream right now, and I know that won't wreck the whole day, but I will probably end up getting some and not have much of a deficit in calories. Oh well, these days happen.

Laurlaur, the great thing about running is that once you get going, it's easy to maintain. I've been running most of my life and I truly think that without it I'd be an extremely anxious basket case. Best stress reliever ever! Good luck with the 5K!

TurboMammoth, man, I hate those fluctuations too. At least, I used to. Now all I ever see is 127, give or take a few ounces. Maybe my scale is broken. Still super frustrating to see a good number and then have it change the next day on a whim. Have you ever eaten like total crap one day and had the scale go down the next morning, and then eaten great and exercised properly and see the scale go up? That used to happen to me a lot and it would aggravate me so much! I started to think that maybe cake was the key to weight loss, given that all my crappy eating days seemed to make the scale go down
  • Pinkrunner Holy Moly! 12 miles?! That is incredible. How many days a week do you run? How many miles each day? I so wish I had the energy to run. I used to run regularly for a few months but the highest I got to was 3.5 miles. You are impressive dear! How many calories are you eating a day with all of this running?

LisaTcan hugs to you!! That can be such a hard and emotional situation. It sounds cliche and always easier said than done, but leave it up to God. He will take care of it and will make whatever is supposed to be happen. Try not to stress yourself over it too much.

Laura WELCOMEEE featherweight!! It will be a journey but you can do it!!

Philana Your calories seem a little low. Have you always ate on the lower calorie end? Im only asking because I have seen so many people on here say that they upped their calories and it helped them get out of their plateau. Also, the lower your reduce your calories, the slower you make your metabolism. Maybe try upping your calories and exercise? Get the metabolism revved up!

That is hilarious about your twiststepper!! I got a funny visual. Hey why not make burning calories fun and entertaining!! I also hear ya on the crappy carbs. I notice when I drink alcohol or eat bad carbs its just a downward spiral and cycle. I crave MAJORLY the next day after drinking nothing but bad carbs and sugar. Its best to just stay away from them all together.

Turbo Do you graze a lot throughout the day? Take a bite here and there? I know I do that a lot and when I wasnt tracking calories I never realized how much those little bites here and there can add up! YIKES! lol So maybe writing things down again is a good idea. Just dont get too obsessive! Thats when it tends to get overwhelming...

Krampus You are just so great!! Thank you for the hugs and confidence. I know I need to be patient But in the past I usually see and feel different right away. I think between the actual fat gain and the bloating I am getting from my veggie burgers and protein shakes, I just feel big. But thats ok. I am not giving up! What is a size 34 in the US? WHere have you been keeping your calories? LIke what does a typical caloric intake look like in one week?