I cruised and still lost weight!

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Sorry guys I have been off site for awhile - it has been my extremely busy season. But wanted to share my funny experience. I was on a seven day cruise last week and was a bit concerned about dieting and being on a ship where most people look at eating as a sport (including hubby) . But I actually lost 2.5 lbs and am sooooo happy about it! The first night our waiter thought I was insane and acted a bit taken back that I actually asked for the meat without butter and sauce, no starches and only steamed veggies and of course lots of lettuce. But by night three he had it down pat and actually helped me with the meal suggestions. The assistant waiter gave me strange looks when I declined all his offers for bread lol and probably the funniest thing that happened was we went to a speciality restaurant one night and when I took out my WF dressing packet one of the waiters picked it up and started reading it and asking me what it was. I guess they don't have many folks on diets while on the ship. I was able to bring all my food on in my suitcase without any problems at all. There was only one time during dessert I had to leave the table (forgot what they were serving) but for the most part I had no desire to indulge especially since both my hubby and mom gained ten pounds each and by night six my mom couldn't zip up her skirt.
    I on the other hand had to find a very large safety pin so my clown pants wouldn't fall off at a birthday party Monday. (no naked clowns allowed)
    I have to look at each day as baby steps toward a bigger goal to make it work. I have 5 lbs to go to be under 200 and I haven't seen that number in many years. That is my first goal and I will be dancing!
  • Good for you!!! Congrats!!!
  • Wow, that is awesome! All I can say is you have more dedication than I do. Keep up the great work!
  • Weigh to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOO HOO!!!!
  • That is awesome! Considering all the temptations of the holidays I can totally relate to the temptations but the fact that you saw your weight loss goal more important or even more fullfilling then all that bread and desserts is a wondeful feeling! I know I have come up against my own battles at work during the holiday potlucks at work lately and I am happy to say I have passed the test too! /high five
  • wow, congrats! you must have tons of willpower to resist those cruise smorgus boards haha! well done
  • Great job! If you can IP on a cruise, you can IP anywhere!
  • Great job and on top of it you lost weight too. Awesome!

I was just talking to my daughter who is OP with me about the cruise I am going on in late Feb. for 7 days. I have been on lots of cruises before, so I know what you mean about eating being a sport on cruise ships.

I won't be anywhere near goal when I go on the trip, so I really don't want to phase off for that week. I have way too much history about getting closer to goal and then falling off of the wagon. I am so not going there this time. I have instead decided to eat a phase II diet for that week. I figure that way I won't be introducing more carbs. I was out of town all of last week and many days I did a phase II way of eating and still managed to loose 3 pounds.

Thanks for sharing your story. Perfect timing for me.
  • Thanks everyone! It is true you can IP anywhere. Have fun on your cruise Dana you can do it!
  • That is so amazing clowngirl! I'm not good at turning down food that I feel is paid for with my trip. I gained most of my weight while I was traveling as a consultant on an unlimited expense account. I vowed never again to have a job with an expense account. Although, I amazed myself one day before Christmas the boss brought in homemade cookies and left them in the cubicle next to mine. All day long co-workers went back for more cookies and talked loudly about how moist and delicious they were. That same evening I sat through a study group with more homemade cookies on the table in front of me. People ate those cookies one right after the other. I had so much strength to resist it even surprised me. I thought about how I'd never just sat back and not indulged in goodies when they were around. But, not doing it was similar to the way I desensitize my horses in training to not spook. Must have spooky things around in order to desensitize. The same is true if I'm going to learn not to indulge in sweets. Have them there and other people around eating them, eventually it will not be as much of a trigger or temptation.
  • clowngirl -
    Thanks for posting this as it totally relates to my question.

First - amazing that you were able to resist all the temptations of the cruise. I can never imagine doing that before IP and managed to host 15 for Thanksgiving, 20 for Christmasm, and a NYE party without cheating or imbibing. Plus we have tons of cakes, cookies, candy, etc. in the house. I haven't been interested (thank goodness for this program).

My question is about phasing off as Dana is mentioning. Before I started IP I scheduled a trip to Jamaica at the end of next week with girlfriends (never done this before) to celebrate our 50th birthdays. Well I never thought I would be on a diet at an all-inclusive so now I'm torn. I don't want to be so restricted as Phase I yet know I could be pretty good if I had more leeway. My counselor wants me to phase all the way off, start Phase II today, and Phase III next week. I just want to occasionally imbibe over the five days, have alcohol and a carb or two. She has said that alcohol, in my current ketogenic state, could do substantial harm to my liver and make me sick (vomit, dizzy, etc). That doesn't sound good.

I could stay on the diet but would be bummed to not be able to take advantage of food I've paid for. I know that all the rich, greasy foods will gross me out so I don't think I'm going to go crazy on french fries, cake, and fettucini alfredo. But is there a happy medium? Do I phase off altogether and eat pretty low carb with the occassional splurge and start right back when I return or is there another alternative?
  • Quote: Have them there and other people around eating them, eventually it will not be as much of a trigger or temptation.
    sekc14 - This sounds like a good method. Since we don't crave them, we can easily avoid the temptation. I'm worried about AFTER. What happens after I lose weight? Will I ramp up my sugar intake and start craving again or will I stay sensible? I hope it is the later.

I'm in NoVA too - in Reston. Where are you? I love horses and owned a horse when I was younger but no longer... I'm jealous!
  • Quote: My question is about phasing off as Dana is mentioning. Before I started IP I scheduled a trip to Jamaica at the end of next week with girlfriends (never done this before) to celebrate our 50th birthdays. Well I never thought I would be on a diet at an all-inclusive so now I'm torn. I don't want to be so restricted as Phase I yet know I could be pretty good if I had more leeway. My counselor wants me to phase all the way off, start Phase II today, and Phase III next week. I just want to occasionally imbibe over the five days, have alcohol and a carb or two. She has said that alcohol, in my current ketogenic state, could do substantial harm to my liver and make me sick (vomit, dizzy, etc). That doesn't sound good.

I could stay on the diet but would be bummed to not be able to take advantage of food I've paid for. I know that all the rich, greasy foods will gross me out so I don't think I'm going to go crazy on french fries, cake, and fettucini alfredo. But is there a happy medium? Do I phase off altogether and eat pretty low carb with the occassional splurge and start right back when I return or is there another alternative?
    It's a hard choice for sure. I think if it were me and I thought I might eat some of the food then I would just phase off completely and get right back on to phase I when I returned. Then again you really have to know yourself - could you get back on with no problems? In my case, I've been there done that and I know how I am. I would be too afraid to take the chance since I've come so far. It's for that reason I have decided to just go to phase II while I'm on the ship. I may not lose weight that week, but I definitely don't want to gain weight either. I'll just be traveling with my 14 year old son and 82 year old mom, so alcohol won't be an issue for me. Now traveling with girlfriends could be a little more challenging.
  • Clowngirl,
    I am happy for you and proud of your results! Your thread is perfect timing for me as well. My husband and I are taking a cruise the end of this month and I was worried that I would have an issue getting food on the ship (packets) as well as what I can eat while on board. I am glad to hear that they worked with you (I am sure if you said you were a diabetic they would not have hesitated). Were there any real challenges that you found? I will possibly just be coming off phase 1 and have NO intention of getting sabotaged! so looking for an tricks or suggestions you might have.
  • Quote: I think if it were me and I thought I might eat some of the food then I would just phase off completely and get right back on to phase I when I returned. Then again you really have to know yourself - could you get back on with no problems?
    Dana - This helped sooo much, you have no idea. BEFORE IP, I would have said I wouldn't be able to get back on the program. But I know now that I can easily restart. This program hasn't been completely easy (easy is eating whatever you want and still losing weight!), but I am so happy with my results and the simplicity of the program, that I can't imagine not continuing! Especially as I understand WHY it works.

Thanks for your response!