Committed to Paleo/Primal

You're on Page 4 of 16
Go to
  • I can get grass-fed ground beef and ground bison at my local supermarket. I can get grass-fed lamb there as well. I can get wild-caught fish there too, when it's in season.

I get pastured eggs from a local CSA. I use them because I have a soy intollerance and chickens don't completely digest soy feed and it passes through to the eggs and meat. (And I know some sciency people who tell me that's not true, but I still have soy-intollerance reactions to the meat and eggs from regular poultry. So there!!!!) I have had to try out different poultry products because of my soy intollerance. They all say their chickens are fed a vegetarian diet. But the Rocky brand seems to be soy free. And there are a few others too.

There's a market just over an hour away from me and I like to go there to get my Thanksgiving turkey because it's completely range-fed. All their meats are grass-fed, so I will load up for the holidays.

I have ordered wild salmon online. Costco carries some wild fish and grass-fed meats. They were carrying some really good bison steaks for a bit. Wish I bought more, because when I went back to get some last weekend, they were all gone. I HATE that! I can order the same bison steaks online, but they are much more expensive. There are some canned tunas that are pole-caught. I get some shipped to me through Amazon, but saw that Costco carries them too...for now. I get wild-caught sardines too.
  • I'm freaking out a little tonight. I'm a type 2 for a few years now and I've managed it all with diet and exercise for many years. In the last year I went Paleo, but kept dipping my toe into grains, dairy and sugar, almost daily. I kept thinking it was such a small thing, here and there.

Well, I finally bought a glucometer this week and discovered that ANY dip into the non-Paleo food list made my blood sugar go too high. I fasted for one day after having a few slices of pizza on Valentines Day and all but one of my tests were too high. The next day, I thought I'd maybe be able to get away with a little bit of Pirate Booty and a slice of my really low carb high fiber bread. Same reaction!

The other thing I really have to manage better is portion control. For breakfast I had eggs with spinach and onion. I cooked a lot of spinach and a half an onion. Even that made my blood sugar pop up. I skipped lunch and had an early dinner. Less carbs than breakfast, so lower blood sugar numbers.

Tomorrow I'm adding exercise back into the mix (have been sick/injured for a couple weeks). Hopefully that'll help even more and I won't have to freak out so much about the food. If I don't start losing weight with these new stricter measures, I'm probably going to have to go on medication. And I don't want that!
  • Hello all. I am working to lose weight with excersize and a pseudo-Paleo diet.
    I say pseudo loosely as I have every intention of going whole30 but am easing into it. It has been my experience that "diets" attempts always fail me. I am looking to make a lifestyle change. I have existing health issues that Primal eating and excersize promise to address. I have cut out all sugar for the past 2 weeks. I think I experienced the carb flu, am fine now. I found if I eat ANYTHING sugary, I will cave to my cravings for sweets.. I am that addicted to sugar!
    I have a lot of energy lately which really helps me get through a workout.
    I do have issues with cutting out most fruits. I know they contain fructose and thus the sugar perpetuation. But doesn't the healthy side of eating fresh whole fruits with their antioxidant properties outweigh the sugar fear?
    I'm am also struggling with the idea that for real weight loss, we must do at least 60-90 mins. of some cardio/ strengtht train DAILY. Phew...
    That part is discouraging (as I ready myself for my daily 2 ml. dog walk). Will check back in an hour or so. Thanks for reading and any empathy or advice is welcome)
  • On a side note, I am in the dark about these acronyms. Any lists available or what not? Thanks!
  • I ate a little bit of a muffin that had palm sugar in it, now I feel a bit bloated. I'm wondering if it's the palm sugar or something else. Blaaahh!
  • Hi Michelle, I really like coconut oil and I find if I can keep my glucose levels neutral I don't get cravings. I like the idea of being able to have a big steak and veggies and not feeling guilty. Who knew all along that it was the bread rolls that caused the crashes!
  • Joannavan, I bought some more coconut oil yesterday. Wow..$13!!
    Need to find where to purchase a less expensive brand, perhaps. I have been sautéing veggies in 2tbs. of the stuff at least 2 x a day. As for fruit...
    Jury is still out with me as to whether or not I am going to eliminate them, period. Just hard to wrap my head around the notion that eliminating any " whole food " like fruit, is good for weight loss... Not to mention the healthy benefits they add to our diet ( vitamins, minerals & fiber ) that we need.
  • Michelle, check out Vitacost.com

They have good prices on things like coconut oil (I paid less than $10 for the extra virgin coconut oil I ordered from them) and a flat $5 shipping rate on any size order. I order all my supplements from them as well, plus things like face lotion and black soap.

I still eat fruit, just in moderation. I usually have at least two servings a day and so far it hasn't hurt my weight loss, but I have a lot further to go than you.

PS: If the acronym you're wondering about is the CSA Georgia mentioned, it stands for 'community sustained agriculture'. It just means local farmers who sell their products straight to their local community rather than to restaurants or resellers, thus the community helps the local farmers stay in business.
  • Thanks for the encouragement,Caroline

I will check out that link. Meanwhile, I feel like I am not eating enough " variety" and seems maybe I am eating too much meat?!

Still hard to let go of this CW about diet & nutrition. Oh well, on a side note; I was able to get back into old pair of size smaller jeans today, despite the scales not budging. I have researched this Paleo lifestyle and everything is primal (down to going barefoot..ha) and it is still scary to me eating saturated fats and not counting calories. I had better not come out on the other side of this diet in a few months with an even bigger butt! LOL!
  • To be honest, I was afraid to try paleo because I gained weight on Atkins. (Way too many 'Atkins-friendly' desserts, and those one minute muffins got me into all kinds of trouble!) But I'm glad I gave it another go with more vegetables and none of the bacon, because I've lost just over 12 pounds so far.

I'm a little scared of what my cholesterol level might be (it went way up on Atkins, but I used Atkins as an excuse to eat bacon at pretty much every meal) but other than that I feel great. I haven't really lost this week, but I'm in the middle of TOM so I'm hopeful that it's temporary. I do count calories, but I don't think I've been eating enough this week for my fitness level. Pushing my calories UP is the hardest thing for me, for the first time in my life.

Congratulations on the jeans! That's my favorite kind of non-scale victory. I have clothes hanging all over my house that I am trying to fit back into. It looks like a thrift store in here.
  • "... looks like a thrift store in here"

Ha! I love it. I, too dropped a pant size. Just put on a pair from the back of my closet. Grok on
  • Good Morning!

I recently read an article promoting 'mindful awareness'. It was written for those of us ( yes me )who have a tendency to obsess about what to eat next.
    In the article he wrote, if we stay very focused on the task at hand then it will eventually train our brains not to wander. Ha! Good try.

In all seriousness, it has been my experience that control over my self-sabotaging behaviors has been very much a state of mind. Giving myself a few minutes before I impulsively grab that candy bar at the check out counter makes it easier to "just say no" to my sweet tooth. How good does it feel later on when you have conquered a craving like that? Pretty awesome, I say!

I was most successful in my past efforts to eat healthy and not eat junk when I 'set my mind' to it. I truly believe that a high percentage of control over my addictions have been staying mindful and learning to tell myself ( much like a kid) no.

On a side note, yesterday was a particularly tough one with my DH and step-son around all day. We only get to see Cody every other weekend. He loves a good 'home cooked' meal which in his case means homemade Mac n cheese, casseroles ( laden in butter and cream sauces ) etc. And always there is cookies! So I felt especially proud to have turned away from the Toll House, and ate my hard-boiled egg, blueberries and a handful of almonds.

Now prayers are needed for the rest of the weekend!
    Hope everyone has an enjoyable weekend and get outside for some fresh air and maybe a stroll around the block this morning. You'll feel ready to face the day with a dazzling smile
  • Good luck, Michelle! That is a lot of temptation to resist indeed.

I completed my Whole 30 yesterday for a total of 14 pounds lost. I feel really good, and proud of myself for sticking with it. I had some creamer in my coffee this morning, but other than that I will continue to stick with this way of eating long-term.

This morning I woke up at 5:00 am (on a Saturday! Pathetic.) and I've already done 45 minutes on the spin bike. In a little while I'll go to my sister's house for 45 minutes of strength training (P90X) and then I have to grocery shop and go look for some new jeans. Not really looking forward to that, but at least the sizes are going back down.
  • P90X looks really intense! On top of all that excercise, don't forget how many calories burnt shopping)

Gotta love it when the clothes start getting loose!
  • Hi everyone,

I'm dipping my toes into the paleo world after a year-ish on South Beach Diet. I'm looking to paleo to help me avoid the temptation of grains which nearly always end up with me stuffing my face like a crazed maniac, and hoping that eliminating dairy will help with my GI issues. I've been a week grain-free now, but still am hooked on my lattes and the occasional greek yogurt or bit of cheese. Baby steps.

Finding some really great blogs and recipes along the way!