Wonderslim #6

You're on Page 11 of 19
Go to
  • ExTex...it's the teacher in me...LOL...absolutely love to see compassionate children.

I'm excited because I woke up before 8 and feel quite rested for a change. I may actually get some housework done today in spite of myself!

We survived the storm with only high winds and heavy rain...no tornadoes spotted too close by...thankfully. I haven't read today's paper yet to see how the entire area fared...just know my subdivision spot.

I did have a slip-up with some cookies I found lurking under my storm supplies. Wish I could testify that I bypassed them but old emotions of storms past and nervous thoughts took their toll. What a shame! However, I made a conscious decision in the moment and let emotions override good sense but I'm back in control again. (And, of course, in the interest of total honesty...there are no cookies left.)

In days of yore, I would have used that slip-up to "punish" myself by eating anything and everything I had been denying myself. Not so this time so in a strange way, I am claiming victory. It didn't sabotage my goal in the long-term because I awoke just as determined as ever to get this weight off. Not gonna happen with cookie detours!

Just keepin' it real. Now I'm off to reclaim my rule over this messy house. I have been in a battle royale with the house ever since I moved in and have never gotten it organized like I wanted. (I was actually in the hospital with a heart problem when we moved in...two months after our home burned down so it took me a long time to even feel like I was at home. I diagramed out furniture placement, etc. and furniture store deliveries set it up, etc. Easy moving for my husband since we only had clothes in garbage bags, etc. that we'd accumulated since the fire.) Anyway, this house is pretty but I've never felt like it was "us". We grew up on farms and our house that burned was in the country with acreage. Now we're in a subdivision wall-to-wall. I know it's best at our age and with our health issues to live close to hospital facilities, etc. but I miss the freedom living in the country brings.

Gee, didn't mean to get off on that track at all! Hope everyone has a great day today. I'm going to fire up the metabolism and tackle the first bathroom...my most hated of all rooms to clean! Never said I had the best attitude as I don my Susie Homemaker personna...LOL
  • Me again! I generally check email, facebook, and our thread before I leave the bed to start the day.

In my quick pass on facebook (after I posted here), I noticed this quotation as the status of my former principal. He's retired now, too.

It was too good not to share with you.

Opportunity knocks at the door but temptation leans on the doorbell.

Pardon the grammar but...ain't it so!
  • There is always something new to read in this thread and thats a good thing! Sometimes I wish forums had a "like" button, much like facebook, so that people would at least know that their posts are appreciated even if no one responds. I don't have anything to add to the diet discussion just yet, but just a few more days until my stuff gets here and I'll be joining you on this thing.
  • You know, I totally agree, Speed. (I'm taking a quick break from housecleaning...well, maybe not too quick. Remembered I was supposed to reorder my prescriptions yesterday and forgot so I stopped what I was doing to get on the computer. Gone are the days when I file it away in memory and actually remember it when I need to! Been meaning to reorder for 5 days...down to my last heart pill tomorrow! Luckily our drugstore is just blocks away and they are pretty fast on their refills...and I love being able to reorder online.)

If you haven't already started increasing your water intake, that's something you can start before your package arrives. I sometimes think that a person could lose a few pounds just by being completely hydrated. Many times the fluid we first lose is because our bodies finally let lose of the water we are reserving for the "dry" times. Plus, I've read lots of times that we often confuse hunger for thirst. Amazing, but evidentally true.

Well, off to make a phone call now and then back to cleaning. I haven't actually left the kitchen yet so the bathrooms still await. However, I have chicken cooking for homemade chicken vegetable soup later (even though our temp is still unseasonable...60 degrees outside in January!), soup just sounds good and is so filling. Used to always make beef veggie soup but now I adjust it to chicken...just as flavorful and less fattening. (I also have to make some gumbo later for my husband or forfeit the shrimp so I may have to adjust the mental schedule I planned before I got out of bed.)

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that some of the bars are on sale this week at Diet Direct. I've learned that they pretty much have some WS product per week on sale. That assortment box is $16 this week, too, I think. I got it weeks ago but still haven't sampled all the things in it. This week I ordered a different cereal that's supposed to be a bit like Apple Jacks. I think the brand was Kay's...same online source as WS. Also, ordered some of the Kay's pretzel snacks. The nutrition profile is very akin to WS except I think the cereal may have a bit more protein. Gosh, I don't know why I start typing this things before I recheck the numbers. Oh well...don't have time just now because if I don't watch it, I'll be back in my "avoidance" mode. Happens alot when I face housework I'm not crazy about.

Best thing yet about today is that I feel better than I've felt in a week. Not going to pause too long to examine it...just going to enjoy it...LOL

Have a good one, everyone!
  • Toy:
    We were also safe from the storms last night, not nearly as bad as they had predicted in our area. (Thank God!) We had some water blow in (under, around?) our garage door. This was new....
    Thanks for the PB2 info. I spent a good amount of time looking at it on Amazon. Will have to keep it in mind for the future. They even said you could cook with it. My husband LOVES Peanut Butter cookies. Will have to check it out.
    I'm cleaning today too! 3 full rooms down, ceiling to floor and taking a break now to do fun stuff :-)
    My best friend started WonderSlim/New Lifestyle the first of the year and has lost 15 pounds in the first 2 weeks. This program works! I'm going to see if she will join us on the message board.
    Starting taking in additional water prior to starting the diet is a great idea. I struggled with the water for the first few days, but now it is no problem at all. I actually get thirsty, which never happened before this diet.
    ExTex: Loved your post about your sniping with husband and son stepping in as peacemaker. What a great sounding kid! We need more like him!
    Will post soon about some options with the travel nurse jobs. One friend has kids in school, she takes them along with her sister to a beach community every summer during their school breaks. She is working so she doesn't have as much time to enjoy the area as her family, but she has said she could NEVER afford to live on the beach for 2 months otherwise. The kids and sister love it! There are lots of ways to work around home and routine if you're inspired to do it.
  • Today was horrible, horrible, horrible.

I got on the scale and did not lose an ounce since last Wednesday and I haven't fallen off plan for four or five days, drank all my water, walked, etc. Then I had to try on clothes because nothing (and I do mean nothing) fits in my closet and I have to have something to wear besides my husband's sweat pants or my pajamas. With these 20 lbs I am up three sizes. THREE SIZES.

Then my poor mother called on the phone and I sobbed my frustration to her.

Then I came home and ate because that's is the surefire way to solve my problem.

I feel like quitting.

(my turn for the pity prom)
  • Don't quit!
    ExTex:
    I'm so sorry to hear you're having a horrible day (and it does sound bad!)
    Don't give up! You're going to see results next weigh in...and I was so impressed with your way of eating a good, healthy, balanced meal in the buffet. You can do this! We all can! If you quit now (and you're like me) you will be looking back in 6 months and saying "I should have stuck with it, look where I would have been today!"
    You are on your way to being exactly what you want to be, having that 20 pounds off and being back down 3 sizes! Give it just a little more time...finish the diet foods you have on hand and see where you are by that time.
    Big Virtual Hug
  • Well Hello:

After a weekend of "vacation" I am back on the wagon. ExTex I felt just like you last Friday. I was ready to quit. ExTex we can all do it. Maybe we shouldnt be weighing so often.

20 lbs. and up three sizes? Doesnt sound right to me. I know if I lose 20 lbs I will not go down 3 sizes.

So I am back to the mind set that I am going to eat like someone who is having baratic surgery. I know that it sounds so radical but if pre-surgery people can do a 800-1200 calorie diet-why can't I. I am almost confident that my doctor would support this theory. I am not going to spend $40 to get her opinion since I believe she would say-you go girl. I guess I could call but I am a sensible person so here I go.

My theory is that my eating is so out of control that when I allow myself "regular food" I get out of control. I have no restraint. I am at about 500 calories today. Had 3 shakes and a Nutrisystem lunch. Yes my calorie count is low but the evening is not over.

Walked on the treadmill for 30 minutes-I am trying the preprogrammed cycle but cannot go as fast as them but am doing the grade. I dont get many calories burned but I am looking for the increase in metabolism not really burning calories.

I need to be as consumed with dieting and exercise as I can food.

What character traits do overweight people have in common? Is it the results of dsyfunctional families? Learning to eat too fast due to half hour lunches? Eating in our vehicles? We some how find food as comfort instead of nutrition for our bodies.

My goal is be an encouragement to you all. I need to know that others have the same struggles as me. It sounds like week three of the new year was difficult for many of us. At least we made it to week three. Have you noticed no one is taking about New years resolutions anymore.

Glad you hear that you all are safe. Toy-wanted to let you know that we have two yorkie-poos. Teena and Gidget.
  • We're here, ExTex, and we've here to stay. You'll work through this frustration and be the stronger for it. It's hard and depressing and every other bad thing you can think or say about it but if it was easy, none of us would have gotten in the shape we're in right now...just don't stop posting! I really believe we can let this thread take some of our frustrations away instead of eating through the problems. I know pouring out my thoughts here doesn't cause the regret and dismay that eating it out does.

I haven't done this "less weighing" long enough to know if it's really a viable solution or not but I do know it's working for me. There are so many factors that make our weight change quickly: hormones, stress, bowel habits, water intake, exercise, the time of day you weigh, and even the amount of salt we had in the last meal. I am not exaggerating when I tell you that my weight can change as much as 5-7 pounds during the day. I realize that I have a fluid retention problem associated with the heart condition but I "think" I have also learned I have a more than a slight allergy to scales. I used to try to weigh just once a week when I was on a diet but then I'd react to the number emotionally by either celebrating or eating away my misery and disappointment.

Either way was disaster for me and my program! This time I am avoiding the scales as though they are poison although I do still wonder...especially since I don't feel as though I'm losing any weight. Logically, I know I must be. I'm trying to go by how I "feel" rather than a number on an object. It's a radically different approach for me and one that I've never researched but it seems to be helping me cope. I have such a long way to go that I never really "celebrated" the little losses if that makes sense. My thinking would run along lines of how much farther I had to go rather than how far I had come. I was beaten before I pretty much started because it seemed so hopeless.

This time I decided to adopt the recovering alcoholic's mantra of "one day at a time." I'm learning that I can make it one day...but if I slip, I haven't messed it all up because there's another "one day" beginning in just a few hours. Simplistic maybe but it's working.

Thing is...a month from now the time will have passed whether we stay on plan or not. But I know that a month from now if I don't stay on plan, I won't be the same I am now. It never works that way for me. If I stay on plan, I'll either lose more or stay generally the same but if I stray from the plan, I will be heavier. I stray, I gain...it's as simple as that at least for me.

So, the current disappointment can be temporary because you know that one month from now you will not be where you are today...choice to make though is what you want to see a month from now. For some reason the electric bill helps me keep it all in focus. That darn bill cycles around so quickly that it's hard to believe it's been a month! Pick something like that in your life that occurs on a monthly cycle and let it put the quickness of a month in perspective for you. Dieting sure will not do it...a month of dieting seems like an eternity ahead but those bills sure do cycle around quickly in their one month apart.

Let us help to encourage you. You can do this and you will be so proud of yourself that you stuck it out. You had a bad day. Allow yourself a few minutes to grieve, pout, scream...whatever (as long as it's legal...LOL)...get it out of your system but then recover and push onward. We're here for you regardless but you need to be there for yourself. You are worth the effort you are putting in to reach the goals you've set for yourself!

Now...I do hope you realize that tomorrow or the next day or the next, I will be needing a pep talk from you. As long as we don't all crash and burn on the same day, we will survive. That's why a support group is so vital to something like this...the strength of the group can help support us when we're having a bad day. Sending you a virtual hug to help you over this bump in the road...
  • Welcome back Shero!
    Toy...your pep talk made me feel better this morning. Think I'll cut and paste it to my "motivation board" I keep on my desk.
    Thanks to all the great people on this board that help to make this process easier! As my great niece would say, "you guys are AWEEEEESOME."
    Here's to an on program day for all of us.
  • Hello, my friends!

Thank you, thank you for your encouraging posts. I even had a "moment" (ya know, tears in my eyes) They really help.....and all of you are right. This is just a step on a journey and if I get off the path now I will really regret it.

I think y'all are right; the scale is not my friend and I am going to adopt your approach, Toy, and stay off of it. It's too much pressure and if the scale doesn't move I get so upset. Better to just keep logging my calories and carbs, exercise and just weigh once or twice a month.

I think I set myself up; I expected this weight to come off quickly. You read the claims that you can lose 3-5 lbs a week and that is just what I expect. When it doesn't happen, I fall into the pity party (I can't lose weight, there's something wrong with my body) What a bunch of BS!!

So, today I pulled on my big girl panties (literally!! LoL), bought some clothes, put everything that fits into one section of the closet and put my smallest size (goal) far from reach. I don't need the pressure of looking at them knowing I am so far away from getting back into them. I even bought myself a new winter coat. The old coat is way too small and I am sick and tired of being cold. Luckily, winter clothes are on clearance so I was able to outfit myself pretty cheaply. My new coat was only $15!! And it is super nice!

Thanks for coming to the "emotional rescue!" I can't tell you how much it helps to have a group who can understand.

Big Virtual Hug to all of you!!!!!!
  • ExTex, Toy and REKP I am glad to see your post everyday as I come on here to see what is going on. I am wondering were the others are. REKP-what does your name stand for?

I have been thinking alot about the struggle we are all having. We want that immediate cure all. I have always thought it would be neat to have a copy machine for our bodies and we could just reduce it by 50%. Can you tell sometimes I'm a bored bean counter?

Just think if we could lose 10 lb's a month by July we could be 60# lighter. Some of us would reach oneland. Can you imagine. I would be so happy. In November of 2010 I was at 209 and boy I was looking forward to the oneland. But see I put it all back on. So here I am starting over. I can dwell on the reasons why I put it back on, but why not dwell on exercise, find foods that are low calorie.

WE can do this again. Lets go. Let's enjoy this venture we all are on together.

You all are my support group and I appreciate you and your honesty.
  • Shero, that 10 pound loss a month is what I'm hoping for. I think it's "doable" without starving...at least I hope so! It wouldn't put me in onederland by a long shot but it would be a great beginning to be there by July.

ExTex, excited to hear about your shopping trip! I always used to think that I looked my best when I was dieting. Seemed like I used to go on a shopping spree and take more care with my appearance, etc. Of course, this was when I worked. Now I laze around all day enjoying retirement and most of my clothes money has been toward loungewear, i.e. gowns and pj sets. It's been an amazing eye-opener as to how few outfits I really wear now that I'm retired. That's not to say I still don't buy as though I'm working every day but I don't dress up for the classroom or office now when I'm out and about. It's actually a bit liberating, I think...LOL

One of my goals in the recesses of my mind is to get to a place where I feel comfortable and look/feel okay in blue jeans. Not sure it will happen since I've never been much of a jeans person even when I was more normal sized. However, one of the reasons I wasn't a jeans person was because it didn't fit into my "career" look. I think I could adjust to being a jeans-type woman in my retirement.

I've felt better these last two days (and gotten more accomplished) than I have in the last month or so. I may regret this on February 1 but I have started adding more calories to my day. I'm not eating bad things but a bit more. My husband has said all along that he didn't think I was getting enough calories but I'm stubborn and didn't want to sabotage myself. However, I kept thinking that I wasn't getting that "surge" of energy that I usually do when I've been on a diet a few weeks. That...plus my crazy sleep (or non-sleep) patterns were confusing and tiring. Soooooo...in the last few days, I have eaten a bit more and the change has been dramatic.

I feel so much better and actually have some energy! Plus, I'm sleeping better, too. I haven't totally conquered the sleep problem (3 am here and I'm awake...duh) but it's so much better than it's been. I am very hopeful that I have found the fuse. Strangely enough, the upswing started after I ate those darned stale Oreo's the other night. (And, no, don't start worrying that I'm off the deep end with what I'm eating. I know cookies and such are not the answer...LOL. I'm just adding 200-300 more calories of healthy stuff and I do believe it's making me feel more energetic.)

In the back of my mind I had been telling myself I would have to do this anyway when I started the water exercise. (By the way, we're planning to go sign up today...finally.) However, I didn't realize how much better I would feel by adding a fruit and protein or veggies to up my calories a bit. World of difference in my activity level so far!

Now, I'm hoping to doze back off for a bit. Too early to get up and just have to sit quietly so that the rest of the house can sleep.

Have a good day, everyone!
  • Good Morning
    Shero: The REKP is just my initials. Had to throw the maiden name in there
    (Kidd) to get something original.
    ExTex: I'm so glad you're feeling better about this process. You will make it!
    Sounds like you did great with your shopping spree! A winter coat for $15.00! Good find!
    When we were traveling last week I stopped by a JC Penney outlet. They had their winter things on a 75% off sale. Only got some gloves, scarves and a hat. Didn't even think of looking for a coat. After all the winters in a warm climate, I don't like to wear a coat. I bought a leather coat at JC Penney last year, (3X) that no longer fits. I never wore it. Just another thing for my Goodwill stack. I found some CJ Banks pants for $12.99 a pair! I love the brand, they fit me better than anything else out there. By the way, I got them in a size 20! It's been 3 years since I was in that size.
    Toy: Glad you're recovering some of the energy. I wasn't really expecting the weakness I felt during the first couple of weeks on the diet. I seem to have rebounded and feel a lot better now. (Maybe it's those stinkin' vitamins that I hate so much :-)
    Hope everyone has a great....on plan.....day.
  • Hello Everyone! :0)

Hope everyone is having a wonderful on plan day! So many people and topics to address .........

REKG, thank you for the information about travel nursing. That is exactly what I want; to be able to travel to different areas with my family in tow such that they can enjoy the perks. My husband can retire in 3.5 years so he can come with. We're 10 years apart almost to the day. He's 51, I'm 41.
    That's great about your new size!! Getting down into smaller sizes is always a great thrill for me, might be my biggest motivator to lose weight. I can't wait to go shopping in my closet! I liked your comment about your never worn winter coat; I was brought up in the southwest and never really needed a heavy coat. It took me close to ten years to acclimate myself to that particular piece of clothing. I just couldn't stand having one on. Now I can't stand feeling the least chill. My husband grew up in Minnesota and thinks I am jsut the biggest wimp; I complain when the temp drops to 40!!

Shero-Yes! Love your idea of "shrink me" copy machine. How wonderful would that be? Glad to see you're back on the wagon as well. I need to get back on the treadmill. That is my goal for tomorrow. After I drop my boy off at school, I want to go straight to my gym and hop on one.

Toy, Yay, You're feeling better! Hopefully your sleep cycle with right itself out. I can't wait until I gain a little more energy. Hopefully next week. The shopping spree was not as fun as I would liked it to be, but truth be told, it is nice to have a few outfits that actually fit correctly. When I was a special ed. teacher, my mantra was "meet them where they are" in regards to educating my students. I decided I needed to apply that to myself. Just accept where I am in this process and make steps towards accomplishing my goals. And stay off the scale!!! lol

I took my mom to the mall today and then out to lunch. Anyone who was watching would have had a giggle, I'm sure. We poured over that menu with our iPhone in hand trying to pick out the best dish so I could stay on plan. We must have spent at least fifteen minutes exclaiming "Oh, you can't have this!"and "can you believe how many calories that has???" It was fun. In the end, we each ended up with a plate of Mussels. 180 cals, 14g carbs and 13g protein. Not too shabby.

Off to shake my afternoon snack!