Your Most Embarrassing "Big Man" Moment

You're on Page 3 of 4
Go to
  • Going Commando
    Hilarious! Didn't your Mom tell you to always wear clean underwear in case you are in an accident? LOL!
  • LOL yes she did I just didn't listen.
  • My most embarrassing big man moment has to be swimming I hate taking my shirt off but if I don't then I feel stupid in the pool. So I suck it up and take off the shirt....but it will all be fixed sooner than later!
  • I remember one time when I was 21 (I'm 25 now and 88 pounds lighter) and I tried to go on a ride at a theme park and the latch wouldn't close because I was too fat and I had to get off. Didn't really bother me at the time for some reason but looking back, I cant believe how ****ing fat I was.
  • Quote: riding in a bumper car with the silver bracket that is supposed to go around your waist up around my chest. Not fitting into a booth at a restaurant , that happened a few times, always ask and wait for a table now. Not fitting into chairs or having to look or ask for one with out arms. Broken chairs and a few broken toilet seats. The cheap pressed wood seats covered in paint/plastic. And man does that seat pinch the back of your leg. Then going to the local home depot to buy a replacement because it was the toilet at your in laws house. The worst for me about a month ago was when my wife said she did not want me to go on vacation with the rest of the family because I slowed them down. My 9 year old was more upset than me and said he would not go with out me. I cried pretty hard after that one. I am teary eyed now just thinking about it. Well I am 35# smaller now and feel a lot better. Still have a long way to go but I am going to make it.
    Well my reward for goal is Disneyland. The trip we were going to go on was Florida. This will be Fla and Disney and my kids know so they're motivated too.

Quote: Oh my looord me also! For example I worry about lying on beds on legs rather than divan beds... one time at a friends when i was staying the night she offered me a bed with legs and I had to pretend I just prefer lying on the floor!

The worst thing is lots of my friends are slim; the challenges of being very big just don't even enter their mind so sometimes I am in a situation where I have to explain these things. For example a friend got me a present of tickets to a musical and I had to explain I need special seating arrangements, or one time when a taxi could not carry us (well ME) because I couldn't do the belt so the driver wouldn't move.

Another example is when I was involved in a choir, and we had to get t shirts for an event, so the leader sent round a piece of paper for us to note down our name and size. I was SOOO embarrassed at the thought of everyone seeing my size written down. I mean, obviously looking at me they will guess I'm not exactly a small, but I just didn't really want people seeing. I had to try and make it so that I wrote it last!

usmcvet, that sounds really upsetting Surely having you there is more important that getting slowed down? Well done on your loss so far though!!
    xxxx
    Quote: She is pretty angry at me over my weight. With the 75# I've lost I would now be able to keep up. It hurt pretty bad. Still does. My 9 year old was my hero when he stuck up for me.
    Just back from a week of cub scout camp. I went last year too and everything was embarrassing new walked 1/2 a mile each way to the dinning hall. I skipped a few meals because thenwalk wasnt worth it to me. That took me a loooong time and four breaks to sit and catch my breath. Not this year. I actually did a three mile hike with my son and the Webelo twos. My knees hurt for days but it was an awesome NSV and personal victory.

Scout camp last year I did my swim test, 100 yard swim, no problem, but the ladder on the dock pulled out as I climbed out. That freaking horrified me, hurt too. Somthat was a huge embarassing big man moment. This year I was nervouse to use the ladder but did many times w/o an issue. I also lost another five pounds at camp last week for a total of 125 pounds. I am half way to goal now.
  • ^ love it, hi-5!
  • savetheb and usmcvet, I've had the amusement park fun times also, lol. The pull-down saftey bar thing that everyone else has down around their waist is sticking way up on my chest, my knees are jammed into the seat in front of me, sucks! Disney World has very fatguy friendly rides, but other parks, not so much. Many rides I can just look at and know I shouldnt even try.

I work construction and I love it when we are walking thru a job that is just framed, not sheet rocked, and the people I'm with will walk between studs (14.5" space) and I have to go around to the door. lol
  • I typically avoid these types of situations pretty well. Though I have been called a big teddy bear on more than one occasion. Not very flattering!
  • I've had many of these. Not being able to ride with my friends at theme parks and the fact that I can't stand and volunteer at one of my favorite events of the year without blinding knee pain are the worst for me.

Flights are brutal on me, and I realized that I needed to do something after I found myself having to take up part of my coworker's seat on a cross-country flight (by putting up the arm rest) because my size left the arm rests uncomfortably digging into my sides.

It was also rather embarrassing to realize that I was going from wearing a 36 to a 46 in just under 10 years.
  • Dealing with Hunger
    Quote: I've had many of these. Not being able to ride with my friends at theme parks and the fact that I can't stand and volunteer at one of my favorite events of the year without blinding knee pain are the worst for me.

Flights are brutal on me, and I realized that I needed to do something after I found myself having to take up part of my coworker's seat on a cross-country flight (by putting up the arm rest) because my size left the arm rests uncomfortably digging into my sides.

It was also rather embarrassing to realize that I was going from wearing a 36 to a 46 in just under 10 years.
    Billy...it looks like you've made some great progress on your weight loss and you should be proud of that. The issue is making permanent lifestyle changes to keep going in the right direction. It's not easy but it is DOABLE. Your mental attitude and commitment to success is the key.

Important tip: feeling short term hunger pangs on a daily basis is NORMAL for anyone in the weight loss mode and maintenance mode. Don't fear it, love it cuz it means you are not overeating and you are losing weight.

Want proof? Just ask 3-4 of your "skinny" friends this question: "During the course of a normal day, do you ever get stomach growling hungery?" You'll be amazed at the answer!
  • A couple weeks ago my wife and I went to my daughter's elementary school for an introduction to her Kindergarten teacher. All the kids' parents were there. When I arrived, parents were sitting in those little tiny chairs that the kids sit in. I took one look at one of those little chairs and thought "no way!" I was the only parent in the room standing for the entire orientation.

Then over the weekend our family hosted a pool party for my daughter's cheerleeding team. There were a lot of moms there who I didn't really know too well. We knew there would not be enough seating for everybody who was coming, so we asked that people bring their own chairs if they had them (the fabric folding type). I have a Coleman Max chair that is rated at 350 lbs that I use -- even though I am over that limit. During the party I got up from my chait to get a drink and when I got back, one of the moms sat down in my chair. (There were other chairs available, but I wouldn't even try sitting in a regular one of those chairs at my weight!) When this has happened in the past, if the person was somebody I knew well, I had no problem asking them to switch seats with me. But this time I was embarrassed to ask the mom to get up because I didn't want to appear to be rude by asking her for my seat back, and I felt weird about explaining that I would break any of the other chairs if I sat in it.
  • No Mas!
    It's important to use these moments of embarasment to yor advantage. They are great motivation for self talk to tell yourself "no mas". Put on a smile knowing you are making good progress and that you have made permanent lifestyle changes.

Go forth and do battle...One day at time!
  • Quote: It's important to use these moments of embarasment to yor advantage. They are great motivation for self talk to tell yourself "no mas". Put on a smile knowing you are making good progress and that you have made permanent lifestyle changes.

Go forth and do battle...One day at time!

Strangely enough, the moments of embarrassment were never enough to get me to do something about my weight. The thing that did it for me is (1) having kids and (1) realizing that if I didn't lose weight now, I might not be around for them as long as I hope to be. As someone once told me, if you pay attention to old people... you don't see many obese ones!
  • Quote:
    If you pay attention to old people... you don't see many obese ones!
    JOE ~ that is correct -- I've worked in 4 nursing homes; and by far, the majority of residents are not heavy ... and any that are, will be put on a heathier eating regime soon after they arrive.

Children, health, and longevity are all wonderful motivations -- use them to your advantage!!!
  • I've had so many embarrassing moments. The most recent was during a test I had performed at an out patient clinic. It started with the nurse having to find me a big boy gown. Next was the bariatric blood pressure cuff. The weigh in was awful. She didn't want to humiliate me so she guessed low and kept moving it up. Come on. Don't look like i weigh 250, I'm 338! The topper was when 3 people had to wheel me into the exam room. Thank god they finally knocked me out.