Metformin Hcl?

• I'm pre-diabetic, and my doctor put me on Metformin HCL. I take it everyday, and she said it will heighten my resistance to insulin and help me lose weight. Hopefully it will help, because before, my weight didn't budge no matter what I did.

..Does anyone else take Metformin HCL? Have you been able to lose weight?
  • I've taken it. I am PCOS/IR. I am back on it at a lower dose.

While it helps some to lose, for me it did not. What it did do is stop weight grain creeping up further, which was a relief.

A.
  • Thanks for the info! I just want to get healthy haha
  • I am on it, but I'm so bad about consistently taking medication. When I was consistently taking it I didn't get that boost of anything that other people talk about. However, what I felt it did do is assist in the weight loss when I actually tried to lose weight. For years anything I did didn't make a damn difference. It was so discouraging. So I gave up for awhile. But then I was diagnosed with hasimotos and then declared to have type II diabetes. I think the hasimotos was a blocker for me. So I'm now on some thyroid medications as well as 1000 mg. of metformin. I feel like I've got as much help as I can get. But the weight didn't just fall off of me. It just seemed to come off a little when I was really trying to exercise and eat well which it hadn't ever before. Unfortunately I'm my own worst enemy and still have problems with bingeing and not exercising which has inhibted the weight loss.

Hopefully metformin will help you out, but I wouldn't think of it as a wonder drug.
  • Just a little trick to help with medication compliance. Take a b complex vitamin every day with your medication. It will turn your urine bright yellow. If you go to the bathroom and it is not bright yellow, take your med.

Sorry if it is a little gross, but it really helps
  • B Complex Vitamin? I'm sure I can do that... Should I just buy a simple bottle of Vitamin B?
  • hey emily, thats what I do, helps me remember that I took it. I take my metformin twice a day, so that helps. Many people find that over time, they get leg pain from the metformin, and many of us find the b complex (probably the folate) helps prevent that.
    It may help you lose weight if you can stick to a good diet and exercise program. (we know, easier said than done for most of us!) But mostly it helps regulate your blood sugars, with few side effects and many other benefits from the drug. Hope you tolerate it well.
  • I've been on metformin for three weeks. My new doc thinks I have PCOS and borderline diabetic or something like that. At first I was taking two pills--not sure how many mg--but it was making me sick to my stomach in the middle of the night every night. So they cut me back to half and I was good for a few days...but then I started getting sick again (not as bad, but still in the middle of the night). Some people don't mesh well with metformin. I may or may not be taken off of it, depending on if my symptoms go away or not.
    I have lost some weight, but I'm not sure if it's the met helping me lose weight or if it's the thyroid pill I was put on, or both....just not sure. I hope it works for you though!
  • Quote: I've been on metformin for three weeks. My new doc thinks I have PCOS and borderline diabetic or something like that. At first I was taking two pills--not sure how many mg--but it was making me sick to my stomach in the middle of the night every night. So they cut me back to half and I was good for a few days...but then I started getting sick again (not as bad, but still in the middle of the night). Some people don't mesh well with metformin. I may or may not be taken off of it, depending on if my symptoms go away or not.
    I have lost some weight, but I'm not sure if it's the met helping me lose weight or if it's the thyroid pill I was put on, or both....just not sure. I hope it works for you though!
    Oh wow, I'm really sorry to hear that metformin doesn't work well with your body. I take 500mg every day, and I've been doing well.. I take it with dinner. I also take a Vitamin C supplement every day; I was due for a cold quite a while ago but I'm doing well so far!!
    When I go to buy my Complex B Vitamin, what will the bottle say? is it simply Vitamin B?
  • My preference is Jamieson B50 complex. they also have b75 and b 100, depending on the dose of the b vitamins. make sure it says B complex no matter what brand. There are many B's and you want the spectrum of them all.
  • I found that I lost about 12 pounds after starting metformin.
    It also altered my sense of taste, and I no longer crave chocolate the way I used to. And ice cream doesn't taste as good as it used to.

now if only it could do the same for gummy bears....