What kinds of foods give you the results you want?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I am starting to eat very healthfully - whole grains, fruits and veggies, lean protein. I'm wondering what types of food give you guys great results. What results do you aim for (energy, looks, good skin, toning, etc. etc.), and what foods get you there?
  • I do best when I eat a diet that emphasizes lean protein and vegetables with a few whole grains and fruits thrown in. this way of eating not only maximizes my fat loss but it also maximizes my energy level. As far as my skin goes, as long as I drink plenty of water my skin looks great.
  • I eat mostly eggs, lobster and grass fed beef for protein (i'm on the ocean and a friend is a lobsterman, so it's not that indulgent). I don't eat as many veggies as I should. I eat cereal and pretzels for carbs, and add in bagels when I'm biking long distances.

I add in burgers and beers for happiness.

My skin tends to look good when I bike a lot, and do yoga.
  • I ate/eat basically what you are eating. In very limited quantities, counted and measured and savored. Lol

My soul purpose of choosing this route was for healthy, and steady weight loss and maintenance. It worked/works like a charm!

Keep going! It is well worth it!
  • I definitely have to limit any kind of processed food or any foods with a lot of sodium. I also have a gluten intolerance, so when i am eating mostly proteins, fruits, and veggies I tend to look and feel SO much better. Unfortunately, I'm also a carb addict, so that doesn't always happen.
  • Water! Drinks lots and lots of water! I've found that my weight loss is quicker and fluctuations smaller whenever I'm drinking around 3 litres of water a day. I am less hungry too!
  • I really used to subscribe to the calories in/calories out crowd, but I'm phasing into "food choices matter"! Yes, I could lose weight on goldfish or diet Dr. Pepper, but I'm finding it fear easier to stick to a plan that meets my nutritional requirements.

I have 1/3 cup steel cut oats with my morning eggs and the slow digestion/fibre keeps me fuller for hours longer than my white bagel did. So, for me, as boring as they may be, steel cut oats are 2x a day on my list.
  • Quote:
    I add in burgers and beers for happiness.
    Oh too funny! I love it! Me? A diet heavy on the veggies, light on carbs and limited lean meats with a smattering of fresh fruits work for me. Unfortunately my true happiness foods cause me to surrender my self control. Like right now, I've got a 1/2 gallon of birthday (October) ice cream left over and I want some so badly but I dare not touch it cause i'd end up bing till it's gone.

Whoa is me.
  • Water and air.....
  • The right amount of food over the actual kind of food works for me.

However I've found that I really enjoy protein-rich foods. I've unintentionally been eating a high protein, low-carb diet.
  • No animal products has worked for me, also, no processed sugar on a regular basis, only for an occasional treat. I no longer have to count calories. I eat all the fruit, veggies, whole grains, beans, almond milk, coconut oil, and soy that I want.
  • Super high fat, a little protein, and about 2 g carb a day -- fatty meat, cheese, heavy cream. I always thought the answer to losing weight was to go lower cal, higher in veggies, lower in fat. And I was never able to lose any weight at all doing those things. I stumbled on this by mistake and the pounds just started melting! I also feel super energetic when I eat this way. The big down side is that it's not a whole lotta fun. Cheeseburgers are yummy to have now or then, but not every day. Blahhhhh.....
  • Cereals, fruit, veggies, fish, chicken, yogurt, protein shakes, rice cakes and coffee!
  • Salads. Not boring salads with just iceberg lettuce (I eat rucola, spring salad mix, radiccio, etc.). I eat amazingly big salads with low-fat feta and a form of protein (sometimes chicken breast, sometimes seitan), tomatoes, cucumber, olives - whatever. I then measure 35g of salad dressing (I think that is 2-3 tbs).

In the end the salad is around 400 calories. I love changing my salads to keep them interesting.

I've noticed I lose faster the more salads I eat. It could have something to do with the high fiber content.
  • I eat a low calorie diet and a lot of water. I eat fruit veggies,whole grain, and more protein. I don't eat no pork. No rice or pasta. I eat a lil bread cus I eat wheat thins. I eat fish and chicken. A lot of salad and dairy.