Walking the Dog = Extra Packet??

• Hi all, my family adopted a lab/German shepherd mix a week ago. Since we got him, I have been taking him on an approx 2 mile walk every day, in my neighborhood, which is very hilly. This is the 1st exercise I've done since starting IP (I am using about 50% alternatives). In fact, I've done no real exercise in over 2 years! Since starting these walks, I have noticed I am much more fatigued and hungrier than I have been since starting IP. I know walking is not an intense form of exercise, but if this keeps up, should I add an extra packet? Thanks in advance
  • Quote: Hi all, my family adopted a lab/German shepherd mix a week ago. Since we got him, I have been taking him on an approx 2 mile walk every day, in my neighborhood, which is very hilly. This is the 1st exercise I've done since starting IP (I am using about 50% alternatives). In fact, I've done no real exercise in over 2 years! Since starting these walks, I have noticed I am much more fatigued and hungrier than I have been since starting IP. I know walking is not an intense form of exercise, but if this keeps up, should I add an extra packet? Thanks in advance
    hmmm, I walk my dogs daily about 45 minutes on weekdays and over 2 hours on weekends and holidays. When I use to get hungry I would have a pickle and some tea and that seemed to resolve the issue. What have you tried? Have you had a little bit of your veggies, or a pickle or tried tea? what about having half a packet after the walk and the rest during your regular snack time. I don't think you really have to add another packet. You just have to experiment a little, is there a certain day you are tired more? what did you eat that day? is it every day? then maybe you have to change up what you are eating and when... Just my 2 cents.
  • Everything Joanne says is good. I'd just add that unless you're walking at 3 mph plus (2 miles in 40 minutes or less) on a 10 percent or greater grade, I don't think you need an extra packet. But, if your alternative packets plus IP don't add up to at least 100 g of protein a day, maybe you can rethink. I suspect that if you keep this up in a couple of weeks, 2 miles will seem like nothing. Thanks for adopting the dog.