Plant Strong (not necessarily vegetarian) Fuhrman McDougall Pollan Ornish Bittman etc

You're on Page 14 of 14
Go to
  • I've noticed some talk on here about counting proteins. Huge myth. There are proteins in everything we stuff into our mouths. It's a matter of the food we put in it. Calorie counting, measuring, weighing, tallying food is by far my biggest pet peeve. I naturally lost weight when I went plant strong/vegan. I only ate whole grains, fruits, and vegetables. I cut out granulated sugar and as many processed foods as possible from my diet. Instead I may use maple syrup or coconut sugar/date sugar, on the occasions that I want something sweet, and there so many dessert recipes out there using these as sweeteners. I honestly believe that unless you have a medical condition that requires you to count protein intake, there is no need for it. I never count. I eat like a pig and I have only LOST weight. My blood work is FABULOUS! Free yourself from that notion that being a vegan requires a certain amount of protein. I've never read any where that someone died from a lack of protein in a modern industrial society. People who lack protein are just not eating (whether it's psychologically based anorexia/bulimia or they are in a really bad financial situation . The people who need more protein intake are endurance athletes. Free yourself from the bondage of counting please.
  • Hey I never post on this thread but your post tme2407 realy resonates with me. I try to eat mostly fruits and veggies but find as I'm charting them on myfitness pal that I never reach protein goal unless I add meat. Even adding beans doesn't help unless I eat a ton and my stomach can't handle all that lol. So my long winded question is this, do calorie apps like mfp count proteins in fruit and veggies appropriately? I know u say don't count but I just gotta know!
  • I've noticed that a lot of the pre-set protein goals in those apps seem high to me. The science says we only need something like 10% of calories from protein. A lot of those apps set protein goals at 20% or more. I easily get 15% protein regularly from a whole foods mostly vegan diet without trying. The science shows that's an appropriate amount.