Peri menopause

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Hi
    Anyone here going through the peri menopause? I seem to be suffering from some of the symptoms- night sweats, irritability, lack of libido, insomnia etc. I have also seen a few pounds creep on, that are not attributable to over eating. I'd love to hear from others about their experiences and would appreciate advice. I have not yet had this confirmed by the doctor but have an appointment .
    Thanks
  • starbrite. Thank you for starting this thread and I hope others answer. I don't think I am there yet, but I am already starting to learn and think towards the start. Some of it is understanding how my body ages and the changes that come with it. In many regards I don't think we talk about this enough.

Thanks again.
  • By the way.

A dietary addition I have already started in prep for menopause (and really post menopause) is the addition of prunes.

I read a couple of articles about prunes reducing bone density loss post-menopause and the recommendation was you make them part of your diet prior so you are already conditioned to eat them. In my case I love prunes so it was no big deal to add them in. I don't eat up to the 10 a day they were recommending post-menopause but I am sure I easily could.

I am looking forward to the other comments, dietary or otherwise that come in. I think I am FINALLY starting to understand that over the aging cycle of our life we will have to periodically adjust and lower calorie intake. I am curious how much people had to do that to keep from the weight creeping up.
  • I am there. I have been on hormone replacement therapy since I was 27. I've tried several times to reduce the dosage and quit completely but all the symptoms you mentioned come screaming back up. It took me over six months to cut my dosage in half this year. I still have the symptoms from time to time, but it has settled down some. My goal is to let my body adjust to this dosage for the next few months then cut it in half again.

I started taking evening primrose to help some of the symptoms. Black cohash is also often recommended, but I don't know much about it.

Wishing you both lots of luck with it!
  • I am waiting for something to start - so far nothing (I'm 43). My sister missed her first period a year ago, and she's a year older than me. She's suffered with the insomnia for years now, and has also experienced weight gain in the past couple of years. That's part of what got me started on my journey (sept 2011)... I want to be in the best possible shape when I do hit perimenopause.

I've also read that adding soy to your diet can be quite beneficial... also the evening primrose.

GL and I hope that something alleviates your symptoms!
  • Thanks for the responses - I'd forgotten about evening primrose oil - I will give it a try!
  • this might sound silly, but im not sure if im starting to go thru it or not... my periods aren't as punctual as they were, so maybe i am.

i love Dr. Oz and he says that women between the ages of 19 and 50 need 18 mg of iron a day (if you aren't pregnant or nursing) and 8 mg after age 51. we also need 1,000 mg per day of calcium up to age 50 and 1,200 mg after that and a lot of lean protein. he mentioned that a healthy diet for women over 40 is crucial. so that is something to think about...
  • I have been peri menopausel for about 2 years now. It started before I was 40 and I am told can last up to 10 years. I do have hot flashes from time to time but the worst of it is the irregular periods. I have ridiculously heavy periods that last anywhere from two weeks out of the month to up to 4 months at a stretch. I am not a candidate for hormone therapy so essentially I don't have many options. I do find that when I cut out fast/junk food entirely that it seems to alleviate the symptoms so it is my hope to do that again and that it was not just coincidence in the past.
  • I was happy to find this thread. I too have been peri-menopause for a while now, since my late 30's, I had to go on antidepressants to control the emotional roller coaster every month, and that in turn help regulate my periods.

What a crazy life, huh?
  • I think I'm there too. Insomnia is the worst. I also have the occasional night sweats. Not too many, but not fun at all. Also mood swings, and I find it very hard to lose weight but very easy to gain it
  • I'm 45 and starting to have a lot of hormonal changes. I'm not sure what's going on, as I'm on birth control and I always thought that masked menopausal symptoms. I'll ask my doctor at my next appointment.

I'm having night sweats and hot flashes/ histamine reactions. I'll wake up feeling like my skin is on fire and itching like a severe allergic reaction (but I'm also on niacin, so that may be the trigger), my sex drive hasn't decreased, in fact I'd say it's increased, but it will turn on and off at inopportune times (confusing poor hubby terribly). And I've had missed periods, and also have had frequent spotting. And the birth control isn't doing as good a job as it used to in controling PMS/PMDD symptoms of heavy bleeding, severe cramps, outrageous hunger and mood swings...

I'm not sure what if anything can be done medically, because hormone replacement is usually lower levels of hormone than are in birth control pills, so changing bc may be an option (but may not be a financial option, as I'm stuck with whatever medicare covers).
  • I am 45 and apparently, my body decided enough is enough. I was very unhappy, it just screams old age to me. I have to wonder if my former anxiety was related to perimenopause, interesting. I have no libido either. I tried some progesterone cream and ended up having a period in Nov after not having one since Apr. And I hear that soy is bad for you, no wait, it's good for you, no, really, it's bad.
  • I'm turning 45 in a month (gasp!)....Although my periods are regular I have night sweats the week before my period is due..and of course the weight gain and dead metabolism. It's just so sad. As far as soy goes it makes me nervous ...women who have had breast cancer can't have soy, so I don't want it either....it effects estrogen. It also makes me feel very bloated. I guess I just have to accept growing old and try and do it gracefully.
  • I had mt blood work checked and my Doc says I'm not peri-menopausal, but I disagree
    Just have to keep getting older disgracefully and cope with the night sweats- this bothers me a great deal.
  • My Dr. said peri is when your period becomes irregular (skipping). Menopause is the absence of your period for 1 year. I didn't ask, but should have...is there peri-peri menopause? I too have night sweats, insomnia, mood swings. Just the last couple of months things aren't as regular as they've been for the last 29 years. Oh joy!