Steel Magnolias #49

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • Good morning gals. I have been up since 1 AM. I had to go to the bathroom and then couldn't go back to sleep so got into the recliner with my doggy and knit, knit, knit. I tore out Jackson's hat as it just seemed a bit too big and am redoing it, then will do the other one with the original size and think they will both be fine that way. I have to put it down and go to something else after awhile though as the twisted stitch will make the inner part of my thumbs, where the "fat" pad is ache like the devil. Slipping the stitch when it is twisted puts some extra strain on that thumb area of my right hand (my right hand is my "hold" hand not my knitting one since I knit left handed.)

I did an oops. I got my prescription back in the mail with a letter yesterday and found out for some reason, this doctor only gave me 1 refill and I thought she had written it for a year, like my other dr used to so when the lady on Saturday from my prescription service asked me for all the information, I gave her 3 refills and that is what she had the pharmacy do! Well, at least it is only bp meds and not narcotics or I might be in a jam! They were terrific as she put in the request on Saturday and yesterday they processed the request, filled the prescription and shipped it out all in one day. It usually takes two days to do all that. God Bless them!!!! Hopefully they won't have any fall out from everything.

Jean: Bummer, the little ones have to stay home next year. I know Kelly and Tom said since they are doing a big 2 week trip next year (they really are doing a modified mountail climb up Killimanjaro) that they aren't going to cruise during spring break they might just take a camping trip or something. Well, the problem is, Kelly is a contractor right now not a direct employee of St Judes so when she doesn't work, she doesn't get paid. Hopefully in 6 months that will change, but if it doesn't before spring break, if she takes off a week she doesn't get paid as she doesn't get vacation as such she can just take it off. We are going to make a Branson trip in April, to use up our free tickets for the SIX show and I think we will go see the 3 Redneck Tenors and do a dinner cruise on the yacht this time. Jack has April 4th, a Wed off for MLK memorial day, then has Friday off for Good Friday so he is just going to take a vacation day on Thursday. Of course our biggy next year is our cruise and Jack is such a hoot about that. He is much more excited than I am at the moment. Maybe when I have the whole thing paid for then I will get excited.

Maggie: The neighbors next door have gotten themselves a dog and it is a barker. Fortune goes outside and this dog is making an awful racket, but not a peep out of Fortch. He is such a funny, funny dog. Poor little guy is having such allergy problems though and I am afraid they won't get better. I think it is age related partly, but I have always felt it was a problem he had because with every year his little tongue sticks out more more when he sleeps to help him breathe, I imagine. They gave him a shot, but it has already partially worn off and I can't afford a shot every week. The darn things are expensive and I already have to spend $35 a month for his kidney medicine on top of any other vet bills, grooming and such.

Well, I am going to sit back in the chair and start on one of the shawls. I have been itching to work with the mohair, no pun intended! Have a good Tuesday! Faye
  • Good Afternoon, Flowers! We started the day with sunshine but it has disappeared and the breeze has picked up. We need rain badly but don't think there is any in the forecast. I spent the morning at church folding, enclosing in envelopes, sealing, and stamping letters for the memorial service on Nov. 6th. We send a letter to each deceased's adult family member near and far; we had 33 deaths this past year. I got home a few minutes before Bob came for lunch so haven't accomplished anything around here yet today. I could really use a nap! I fell asleep in front of the tv last night and slept too long; couldn't get to sleep when I went to bed so went back downstairs to read for awhile. I did fall asleep, woke up about 3:30, and went back to bed. I hate nights like that!

"Gma" -- You and I seem to be on the same sleepless wave. I'm glad you got your prescription mess straightened out. We'd love to take the kids with us again, but plane tickets and hotel rooms for 10 gets a little pricey! Will wants to go back w/o their kids but Beth knows they would be heart broken and she would never leave them home. I hope Fortune's allergies aren't too bad for both your sakes.

Guess I had better do another load of laundry and some ironing. I also need to make some church phone calls tonight . . . I should have done them last night instead of sleeping. Enjoy the rest of your day!
  • Good morning girls. Sounds like Jack is up already. Wonder if he isn't feeling well this morning. He usually sleeps right to the alarm. Sounds like he is going ahead and getting ready for work. I just heard the bathroom door close so he must have just woken up early. I have been downstairs for awhile knitting. I am working on another hat and started the mohair wrap for the cruise next year. It has a glitter to it and the combination is like knitting with fiberglass! I do a little and put it aside then do some more, etc. It is going to make a pretty shawl though.

I am going to tackle downstairs today I think. I have already gotten the dishes put away out of the dishwasher and as soon as Jack leaves for work, I am going to get what I want to get done, namely the dusting and vacuuming and cleaning the electronics. I am leaving the mopping and bathroom and kitchen cleaning until tomorrow or Friday. I may go and get my hair cut tomorrow.

I plan on tackling hair color today too. My gray roots are showing badly again. I bought a different brand this time as they didn't have what I wanted so we shall see what color I come out. It is all a crap shoot most of the time! If it covers the gray I could be pink for all I care. I remember when my grandma would go and get her hair done. She had a blue rinse put on it as they called and we would come home from school with a smurf grandma! Living in our little town you only had a couple choices for beauticians and they both worked out of their home shops. None of the fancy stuff you can get done nowadays.

We are having homemade sloppy joes for dinner tonight. One sandwich is only 6 pts so that isn't too bad. I haven't decided what to go with it yet. I am going to have to go grocery shopping on Saturday instead of Sunday as my fruits and veggies are getting a bit thin to choose from. I used up the last of my cauliflower last night and found my dressing for a salad had expired so pitched it. I am down to beets and green beans until Saturday unless Jack goes to the store again.

I am really finding since I stay away from the sugar I am able to control eating a whole lot better. I don't get as hungry and since I am on this new exchange diet, my nutrition is better and spread out more. I guess that helps a lot too. All in all, I am very satisfied with everything. I only have the eating out hill to conquer. We don't eat out much at all anymore, but we are coming up to Thanksgiving and going to be away from home. I plan on taking fresh fruit with me like bananas and pears and apples, then I upgraded my Iphone to the IOs5 or whatever it was called and it gave me a new apps for notes so I put in my exchanges allowed for each meal and I can just look at it and know what I can order that way when we eat out.

I remade Jackson's hat, though it still has that twisted stitch, I elongated the top and put a tassel on it so it is more like a modified stocking cap. I think he will like it.

Well, Jack is downstairs so I need to go. Have a good Wednesday all. Faye
  • Good Morning, Flowers! It's a gloomy morning in my corner of the world, with a temperature of 41. I have bell practice later this afternoon and should make a WM, grocery store, and Walgreen run after lunch. This morning is vacuuming fur bunnies and leaf pieces that have found their way inside.

Yesterday, at noon, I noticed a cat sitting, scrunched down, by a tree. Bob thought he was watching squirrels. Later in the afternoon he had moved out to the middle of the yard and curled up in a ball. I went out on the deck to talk to him and he raised his head but didn't run. My first thought was we were going to have a dead cat to dispose of. When Bob got home he was still there but disappeared just before it got dark when I looked.

I have been putting sunflower seeds out later in the afternoon to attract the cardinals. Last night, fairly late, we had a possum and racoon sharing food! Before Bob came to bed he noticed a big skunk peeking in the door at him! Needless to say I have orders not to put out any critter food late in the day!

"Gma" -- Did you redo the first hat you made for Jackson? I remember little "old" ladies with blue hair when I was a kid. My favorite grandma had darker gray hair while my other one was more white. Bob had an aunt who was a beautician, and she always had different colors of hair. We used to try to guess what color she would be on our ride to Grandma's house. Back in the 60s you didn't often seen green, pink, and blue/aqua hair! You mentioned getting your hair cut -- the last time I got mine cut, the gal was doing a dye job on someone else at the same time and telling us about their vacation. I don't think I got the "good" cut I usually do; have more hair in one spot or else it's just the direction of the curl. I have to mess with it to get it to lay down.

I'm off to wash farm clothes and vacuum! I hope the sun is shining on you and you enjoy your day!
  • Wonderful Cool Wednesday
    GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is 45 as I type and only said to get to 47 this day. Cool for sure. I really thought I had posted yesterday but guess time just got away from me and I didn't. I have been very busy doing glass work and time just marches by quickly when I am doing that. I worked right through lunchtime and only quit when I went to fix dinner. I will get the building finished to day of the set I am making for an order for Christmas. It seems I always get last minute orders so like to get the early ones done up quickly. Hopefully I can get the things made that I want now. I sold most of my village buildings last year and have not yet replaced them all. I need to order some more solder and the price of it has gone up and up due to it being half silver and y'all know how the price of siver has gone up. I used to order about 10 rolls at once but not anymore. The dogs have had their night time arrangments sleeping all arranged for awhile. Ragg Mopp sleeps on the bed at the foot way down there between us, Beanie on the floor in his little bed and now Cecil sleeps under the bed where neither dog can get to him and disturb his slumber. OH tis the season. I love this time of the year. I'll not put any decorations up untill after Halloween though. That is a mite early for us. I really like to wait until after Thanksgiving. I have silk fall leaves to scatter on the dinning room table that look nice. Boy - o - boy when will people understand you can't put private stuff on your work computers. Where Will volunteers at the museum they just had a big shake up. They had a meeting the other night that lasted from 5 PM till 1:30 AM. Will left about 9:30 in the evening to come home for he hadn't had dinner and was tired of the whoopla. They ended up firing the gal that ran things. End up she wouldn't give up running things when they hired a big boss which they were without for a couple years. Anyway yesterday none of the workers showed up for work and had a "sick out." Well - none of them have a job now. While they were out their computers were looked at and ~ bingo. To much trash talk about the new guy that was hired. Will gets along great with the new boss and didn't get into bad mouthing sessions with the ladies. He was in the archives away from their desks and didn't hear it all. He got along with everyone there and will continue his volunteer work. If he was looking for a job they would hire him in a minute but he isn't and doesn't want another full time position. He knows more about the western stuff then anyone there. In fact when an author was doing some research for her historical book and called the museum for some assistance the boss turned her over to Will to give her what information she needed about people in places making history in the old west. Nope, he is just a volunteer working one day a week for them for he enjoys it so much.

DONNA FAYE Your sleep is being interruped quite regularly. Hope you aren't turning into a Zombie. A person needs a straight block of sleep. I imagine that shawl you are working on is a lovely piece of art. I am looking forward to seeing a picture of it. Those old timers did use blueing that they put in the laundry to make clothes whiter on thier hair and it turned them blue. Took the yellow right out and sometimes made the hair look a bit green at times since blue and yellow make green. In the olden days the ladies would put arsnic on thier face to get rid of wrinkles and made themselves go crazy. That is the crazy aunt that lives in the atic thing. Things folks will do for beauties sake. I don't injest much suger at all either. Been using Splenda for years. We don't use much salt either.

JEAN So you have been feeding the night critters. You have quite a zoo that comes out to enjoy your food. Graceous sakes those kids will just have to understand that the prices of things have gone up ~ even plane fare. Maybe they could save up their allowance and next year go along. Say - they could pay half maybe and the folks the other half.

All y'all have a wonderful day. I am off to do glass work now.
  • Good evening, ladies!

I felt like I was getting a cold this morning so I just took it easy and ate light today and I feel pretty good now so maybe I was just tired out. I slept from noon until 5 pm. I've just been on the go a lot. Two more weeks and it'll be back to normal.

I went to the surgeon who will be operating on my foot yesterday. He says that bunions are not caused by wearing the wrong shoes but are 99% genetic bone deformities. After he looked at the x-rays he said mine was a lot worse than he thought because the 1st joint of my big toe is completely off the joint and there is only about 10% of the cartlidge left and that is causing the bones behind it to move to the left until now they are so far out they are causing the bones in the middle of my foot to pile up in a hump and they are pinching a nerve. Long story short - surgery is the day before Thanksgiving (my choice) and they will be inserting a pin about 3" long to line up the toe again and then a titanium plate on top to hold it in place. I won't be able to bend that toe again so don't know if that will be a problem or not. I have to be completely off my foot for 4 weeks so back to the crutches, then a walker. Glory will take me and then I'll stay with her for a few days until I get situated again. The bad thing might be they can't used general anesthesia because of the asthma and COPD so it will be numbed from the knee down. It'll just be so nice to be able to wear shoes without pain again.

Have a great evening. I need to get ready for work.
  • Maggie -- I love the Christmas decorations but hate the actual doing it. I wish I could get someone to come in and just decorate for me. We went on a tour of homes in Sioux City where different florists and decorators did the decorating for every room in the house. I wish the stores wouldn't put their decorations out so early! It sounds like the museum is in a real mess. It's a good thing Will isn't involved any more than he is, and kept his nose in his book business. There is no critter food on the deck tonight, and so far no critters have come to check it out. We've had a lot more small birds coming and they clean up all the crumbs that the squirrels scatter around.

Susan -- All I can say about your foot surgery is OUCH! I know when my feet hurt I hurt all over. It's nice that you can stay with Glory after the surgery. Hopefully the weather will stay decent so you won't have to worry about being on "crunches" as Beth used to call them when she was little. Working for two weeks will help make the time go more quickly. I hope you can continue with all of your quilting groups and Bible study while you are on the mend.

I have some laundry to fold and then think I will read for awhile. See you all tomorrow.
  • Good morning girls! It is nice and mild out this morning but supposed to rain all day. Of course I wanted to go and get my hair cut today so will have to deal with that. I am also going to run to the grocery store and pick up a couple things, but other than that, I am free for the day pretty much. I was feeling so lousy yesterday, this female thing is getting to me and the gyn has not called or sent me an appt to consult to get this thing over with, though I have to wait until the first of the year anyway when Jack has time he can take off. It has become such a nuisance though and fairly uncomfortable at times and yesterday was one of those days so I didn't get anything done. Running around today and then going out and picking up Jack from work shoots the day in the head so I will just wait until tomorrow and get the rest of my housework done. I guess it will wait for me!

Maggie: Sounds like the museum is a total mess. Boy they must have some dumb employees if they were emailing back and forth taking pot shots at the new boss. I guess people still don't realize someone else is always watching. I mean, if you want to gripe with coworkers do it at lunch or after work, but don't leave evidence on your computer for heaven's sake. Well, I am sure there are plenty of people needing jobs that they will be filled that's for sure.

Susan: Like Jean said, big ouch! I thought my puny corn hurt me, but I can't imagine what you are going through. I do hope they can fix the problem so you will be out of pain and comfortable again. You sure have had your share of medical problems this last year. Hope you feel better real soon and you were just tired and not getting a cold. I know how much that always seems to debilitate you.

Jean: I keep swearing I am going to start wrapping Christmas gifts early, but I have yet to do anything. I know I will wait until the last minute. I don't think we are going to decorate and such this year. We are going to Indiana for Thanksgiving and doing Christmas then since we will be all together and then Christmas Eve we always get together and eat with Kelly, Tom and Thomas and that will be the end of it. When you have a small family like I do, it doesn't take a lot of planning! We don't have friends and such dropping into the house and we always go to Kelly's or out to eat for Christmas Eve so there is no need to drag all the stuff out, spend $100 on a tree and then put it all back just so Jack and I can look at it and dread taking it all down. I am not a Scrooge or anything and if we had people coming in I would enjoy it, but seems like a waste of time and money at our age to do all of it. Besides, no one could see it even from the street since our living room is in the back of the house and the garage covers the whole thing pretty much so they wouldn't even be able to see a tree if I set one up.
    I tore out Jackson's whole hat, can you believe it???? I kept looking at it and it just seemed the brim part was too wide and it would have gapped on his head so I tore it all out and redid it. It is done and I elongated the top that is solid so it is more like a modified stocking cap then put the tassel I had made on top. It looks cute and I think he will like it. I am making Thomas a plum and bright white, called Silk, real stocking cap, with the long tail. Teens get a kick out of hats like that so thought he might enjoy it. I have it about 1/3 of the way done because I keep putting it down and knitting on the shawl. Ooooh, the colors on the shawl are so pretty. The bottom starts out peach and then sort of a tannish gold, then into a bluish green and into a blue and probably will repeat itself. I picked a very simple lace pattern because I don't have time for more intricate work with all the stuff I want to make for myself and wanted more of a rectangle wrap then one of those triangle shawls. I am going to make a peach shell to go with it and probably get some gray dress slacks. It is just to wear to dinner on the dressy casual nights on the ship. It certainly won't keep you warm. The other wrap might a bit as it is a worsted weight, but this, is like fairy dust! I call it my own Harry Potter invisibility wrap, I am including a sneak peek at it. It is kind of bunched up as I don't have enough space on my needle to extend it fully and you can't see the sparkle, but you get the idea about it. Nothing fancy, but I think it is going to be pretty.

I guess I will sit and knit for a bit until Jack gets up then go up and put on some clothes to take him to work. Have a good Thursday all. Faye

• Good Morning, Flowers! The sun is shining and it's a cool 30 degrees outside this morning. I have WW later this morning, need to make a WM run that I skipped yesterday, a quick 5:15 meeting at church, and a loonnnggggg 7:00 church meeting after a quick supper "someplace."

"Gma" -- I wish you could send some rain back this way. We are so dry and I guess if we don't get some rain before the ground freezes the soil won't be as good for crops next year. Bob has been watering some iris bulbs we brought down from the lake saying he wants to be sure they get good 'n wet before it freezes. It sounds like the TN medical profession has one speed . . . slow! I hope you get your gyn appt. soon. I wish we had a bigger tv area so we could put our Christmas tree there, but it sits in front of the livingroom window for all to see from outside. I have so many decorations I don't put half of them out any more since the kids aren't around. The grandkids are here such a short time they don't may much attention as they are more interested in the gifts than anything else. The shawl will be so pretty when you are done! The pattern looks really unique. I had to chuckle at your HP invisibility wrap.

I'm off to get dressed and unload the dishwasher. Have a terrific Thursday today and enjoy!
  • Good evening, ladies.

I had work today and I've been getting my things together to leave for retreat at 6 am. It's a 2 hour drive to Topping. I look forward to a fun weekend teaching the ladies and working on my projects.

The fire in the Great Dismal Swamp still isn't out and so far $25,000,000 has been spent in the last 3 years on the fires. Nature will have her way!

Faye, the problem with my foot has been going on for many, many years. Its just not gotten to the point where I can't stand it anymore. I hope you can get your procedure before long so you are feeling tip top again.

Jean, you are the busiest lady I know since you retired!

Hi, Maggie!
  • Susan -- Even though you probably won't see this until you are home again, I hope you have a wonderful time at your retreat! Has this fire been a continuous one or one that erupts periodically? Either way, that's a bunch to spend trying to control Mother Nature! It's beyond time for bed!
  • Good morning to you ladies. It is raining pretty hard at the moment as I can hear it pinging off the windows sitting here typing. I let Fortune out, he took three steps, turned around and walked back in! He is no dummy!

I did get a decent night's sleep last night. I think I was asleep by 8:30 and didn't wake up until 4. I sure needed it as I have been having some very short sleep nights lately and it takes a toll on you for sure, especially once you get older.

I was really pooped by the time I got home yesterday. The girl that cut my hair last time was working and cut it again. She is such a sweet young girl and we talked and talked about cruising and vacations and such. She does a great job on my hair and Jack, who rarely notices stuff like that always tells me my hair looks nice when she cuts it.

We went out to Ruby Tuesdays for dinner last night as I had a bogo coupon for entrees. I had the petite sirloin, which is only 5 pts according to dottie, no dessert, a salad, but I did splurge and have their mac and cheese. That was my dessert! lol They make the best baked mac and cheese and hard to resist. We came home and I just crashed. Jack worked on putting the printing cartridges I bought in the printers and I knit for a little while and played a game on facebook but then gave it up and went to bed.

We have a Fresh Market here and though expensive, they have the best stuff. I got some lovely bartlett pears, a nice fresh loaf of sourdough bread, and one bar of sugar free Belgian chocolate to give myself a treat once in awhile. The squares are about one inch and just the right size for a treat. I don't crave sweets and stuff anymore since I quit eating sugar, but would like a treat once in awhile without breaking the pts bank. I have been staying under my pts even though eating my full exchange meals so it is all paying off finally. I have to go grocery shopping tomorrow though because I am really puny on veggies now and need more fruit and such.

Susan: Hope you have a grand time on your retreat. Don't the Irish you peat to burn in their fireplaces??? I thought it burned well so I imagine that the swamp is one big fireplace. I remember when we lived there, the swamp would have fires from time to time, but nothing that has taken over since you started talking about it. It is too bad too as it is a real eco place.

Jean: I think the wrap will be really pretty as long as I don't screw it up! It has such a neat colorway on it that you could wear several different colors with it. Jack asked me if I was making a sweater out of it when I showed him what I had done so far. I said, no it would be like wearing fiberglass with that glitter in the yarn and the mohair. Ok, taking us all back decades and decades, do you remember girls wrappnig mohair around their boyfriend's class rings to wear them??? Funny how something comes to mind sometimes.

Well Jack is moving around upstairs so I had better get off here. I am going to start on the house the minute he leaves this morning and get the work done and get a grocery list going so we can be up early and get that done tomorrow. Have a wonderful weekend all!!! Faye
  • Good Morning, Flowers! It's a breezy, but sunny, 37 degrees in my neighborhood this morning. After Bob left for work Ernie and I had a catnap in front of the tv. We haven't done that, in the morning, for a long time. I have laundry going and need to vacuum; I am home for the day today -- a nice change.

"Gma" -- I noticed the rain in your area and the snow further north on the weather map this morning. It's too early for snow! I'm glad you got a good haircut and like the gal who did it. I haven't bought pears lately -- sounds good. I do remember the mohair wrapped around the rings! We also took adhesive tape and would fold it in a square to fit, then paint several layers of nail polish on it. I don't think kids even exchange rings any more let alone even buy class rings.

I need to get busy and accomplish something before Bob comes home for lunch. Have a Fantastic Friday and enjoy whatever you are doing today!
  • Finally Friendy Friday
    GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is a beautiful cool day here in the Heartland this day. I have been busy printing out flyers today and now am waiting for Will to bring back some ink for my printer. I am doing a ream of paper and it does drink the ink. Things I get involved with ~ ah, but I do know how to say "no" but they say I am the best for this project. It is good, I guess, to be the best. At least they are appreciative and thank me so much. Who knew what I would use my knowledge for way back in collage when I was taking all those Color & Design classes and that two year computer program where they taught us all about useful "programs." My three favorite classes in that group were Desk Top Publishing, Photography and Marketing. Computers and camers have sure changed since then but color and design just keeps evolving. I just about have the barn finished I had cut out awhile back. It uses a lot of copper foil to make this particular building and I was making sure I had enough for the "paying customers" things to be made first. I am placing an order come Monday and have a lot on my list to replace. I have a lot of glass on hand but there are some colors I need that have been used up plus I need solder and foil along with some other various items.

DONNA FAYE Sounds like you may be getting enough sleep now. Best to get your sleep in one block "they say." A nap is good for some folks ~ they also say ~ but your long uninterupted sleep is much better for you. It didn't surprise our doc when we told him that neither Will nor I are nappers when he asked. He had figured as much he said ~ whatever that meant. Anyway if one needs a nap by all means have one. Isn't it nice to have the same hairdresser to cut your hair ~ hope you can continue to get her. Can you ask for her when you make your appointmenst? Yummmm, I would love your Fresh Market.

JEAN How nice to have a day home alone with your cat. Nice and peaceful. What yummy thing are you fixing for lunch today? Is your cat de-clawed in the front paws? We are having Cecil de-clawed in the front at the same time they have him under when he gets neutered when he is 4 months. This kitten has the bigest toes and long nails. Six toes in the front paws makes for a big foot. He is delightful though. What an independant little thing he is though. He loves to see what I am doing and perches on my paper cutter when I am using it. I wad up little pieces of paper and throw them to get him off and on the chase for the paper and play on the floor batting it around. Right now he has found a way to get up on my glass table. Walks through a book shelf up onto a container then up on the desk. Good thing I clean my area everytime I quit for the day because he is walking all over the board I used to cut glass on. He is a cat and can go anywere he wants it seems he will find a way. He has the shortest whiskers I have ever seen on a cat. They are about 1/2 inch long if that long. Whiskers usually stick out past a cats head a bit so they can tell what size hole they can get into and out of. Maybe they will grow as he gets bigger for he is still a little kitten.

I am off to do some more glass work while waiting for my ink to arrive. There is no hurry to get this barn finished except it is taking up space on my work surface.
  • Maggie -- Both of todays meals were leftovers. I'm not sure what is on tap for tomorrow; Bob mentioned fish while the weather is still nice enough to be outside with the grill. I'd like to get the freezers cleaned out. Ernie is not declawed because when we got him he didn't scratch on the furniture and was older. I buy him the cardboard scratching boxes at WM. After he started biting I didn't want to have it done because we've known cats who became biters after being declawed when older. I didn't want him biting any more often that he already was. We have a friend who adopted an orphan kitten; her whiskers are so long they actually curl on the ends. Ernie's whiskers are pretty long because he is pretty wide. Maybe Cecil's whiskers will grow as he does.