Low Fat/Carb/Sodium is it possible?

• So I had my gallbladder out August 3rd of 2010 and since then have been eating a low fat diet somewhere between 30 -40 grams of fat a day. I'm also trying to have a low ammount of sodium intake (< 2500 mgs) and keep my carbs around 200.

I'm on P90x and this is the suggest ratios for me to get maxiumim benefits. The only problem is I don't want to eat celery, carrots and raw spinach all day. My husband is tired of "rabbit" food and I want to feel full so I don't have a binge time and ruin my diet. I'm trying to stick to about 1700 calories a day since I am breastfeeding my 1 year old son and I don't beat myself up if I got up to 1900.

So what I need is good meal ideas and quick meal ides for me when I'm home alone with my son. My husband is gone a lot of the day at school and work and I don't have a lot of time to go and make a 30 minute meal when I have a teething 1 year old.

Any websites or personal recipes would be wonderful or if anyone has some great advice.

Thanks in advance!
  • Hi there. By any chance are you a hummus eater? I will admit, I don't have to cut the fat as much so I also get a lot of satiety from nuts, etc. but hummus tends to have the creamy sensation without a ton of fat in it. I think it could have a tendency to have a lot of sodium depending either what you buy or how you make it.
  • Quinoa is very high in protein low fat. I make tacos with it using that as my meat. My entire family loves them.
  • I do love hummus! I've been trying to get more creative with it and have found out it makes a great spread on sandwiches!

I've never heard of Quinoa but, I'm going to look into it thank you so much!
  • I have been eating low-fat/carb/sodium for months now. The food choices are quite limited but it is certainly possible. The number one things I have had to do are 1) I use FitDay PC software to carefully monitor my nutrients. 2) I supplement heavily with psyllium husks. I hate them but they are necessary to keep the carb levels low and still have normal bowel function. and 3) I use a potassium supplement (several a day) and salt substitute (not for flavor, but because it is made of potassium). I even add it to my drinks, effectively turning them into gator-ade. You have to be really careful with potassium supplementation but you can monitor it using software as long as you log everything.

This is even more challenging for me because I am a vegetarian. For protein I I consume protein powder shakes, MediFast foods, eggs, tofu, and a few select low-carb meat substitute products. I eat lots of veggies, but I limit my selection to the lowest carb ones: mostly spinach, Swiss chard, celery, lettuce, broccoli, cauliflower, and kale. Sometimes I have carrots, tomatoes, or cucumbers, but rarely. Occasionally I add shirataki noodles, soy crisps & puffs, and low-carb cereals when I am craving "carbolicious" foods.

I use a lot of PicoPica hot sauce on my foods since it is practically calorie-free adn provides a ton of flavor. I use Walden Farms dressings a lot. Tey are not the greatest tasting dressings on earth, but they are tolerable and add minimal calories. Not sure about their sodium content, though.

I have lost 37 pounds since July 25th using this technique.

PM me for a recipe for protein powder pancakes with 34g protein and only 2g carbs. It is amazing! Fills that need for sweet-carbs, guilt-free. I usually have one for dessert twice a week or so.
  • Quote: Quinoa is very high in protein low fat. I make tacos with it using that as my meat. My entire family loves them.
    Quinoa tacos? I love quinoa. How do you do that?

What do you do for taco shells?