Does anyone else find it hard to kick the habit of buying "fat clothes"

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I find that when i still go shopping for new clothes, i cant get away from still wanting to buy clothes to hide myself.

I still have a ways to go with my weight, but it is so ingrained in me to try to hide my body.

Does anyone else do this?
  • Oh yes. It's so hard to see yourself in a new light! My fiance has lost over 20 pounds since starting IP three weeks ago and we had to go buy him new jeans the other night. He used to wear 42's and kept insisting he needed nothing smaller than a 40. I forced him to try on 38's and they fit perfect and really showed how much he has lost! Sometimes it takes someone else to really show you what you are missing! Plus wearing clothes that fit and show your body really shows off how thin you are and how much you've lost! Congrats on your success and keep up the amazing work.
  • It takes a while, I went shopping this week and didn't buy anything because I am looking at size 8 and I still can't believe I fit into that size. I want to go to the plus size and then just a little scary, luckily I had a friend who gave me clothes and haven't had to shop a lot.
  • I am so greatful for getting out of those things I never want to see them again. No more sweat pants, no more elastic waist pants, no more sizes that start with an X.
  • I'm looking forward to lots of responses on this. I definitely don't have this problem but DH sure does. He's lost about 20lbs and refuses to wear anything that isn't absolutely huge on him (basically he won't even closet shop using clothes that clearly fit him very well and look amazing on him!). We've tried taking pictures but I think what really helped him the most was looking at the difference in measurements (last time we checked he took 4" off of his waist!). He's started to wear some of his smaller clothes and I'm sure loving it.
  • I don't have that problem. I was never comfortable wearing the size I was and used to cut out the size tag right away -- denial is a powerful thing. Of course I remembered each and every size, but the number just staring at me was too depressing.

Now as soon as something is too big, it goes into the Goodwill bag. I'm going to make a big drop-off today.

I find myself being impatient though and trying to fit into some things that I have a ways to go yet.
  • Last night we were at Wally world and I was looking for a couple t-shirts as I don't have any that fit anymore. We were standing in the plus size area, I looked at my son and said, "hey I don't have to shop in this area anymore", he looked up at me and said, "that is a good thing mom, you should be proud of yourself" (he's 12). We smiled at each other and literally ran out of the section.
  • I'm there.....I just don't feel comfortable in smaller clothes and they look so...tiny. When I go shopping, I usually look at my size and it looks so small. I am always amazed when it actually fits. My husband looked at something the other day and said "you can't fit that- it's too big." In my mind, it fit just fine.
  • I completely stopped doing this last week when a girlfriend came over and went through my closet with me. She made me get rid of everything that was too big and showed me how to put stylish outfits together out of what remained. She nixed everything that was dumpy - each outfit had to be fitted either on the bottom or top or both. Bless her. I was clueless.
  • I was at the mall the other day and I walked right pass the plus size store. Wow did that feel good! I never want to shop there again!
  • Quote: Last night we were at Wally world and I was looking for a couple t-shirts as I don't have any that fit anymore. We were standing in the plus size area, I looked at my son and said, "hey I don't have to shop in this area anymore", he looked up at me and said, "that is a good thing mom, you should be proud of yourself" (he's 12). We smiled at each other and literally ran out of the section.
    Gotta love him. Steven did that to me yesterday when we were shopping I always go straight to the biggest size there is and he said UMMMMMM what are you doing woman? I said looking at clothes. He said HELLOOOOO you are NOT that size anymore try like 4 sizes smaller....lol....I said oh yea and went to the 22-24's....I agree with an above poster, get rid of the big stuff and get something that fits, shows off your curves now. NO MORE HIDING!!!
  • I recently gathered up all my outshrunken clothing to go to goodwill. It was a great feeling. I even gathered shorts from the next size down because with 6 months of winter knocking at my door, it will be a while before I will be wearing shorts again and I will be out of that size by the time spring comes around.
    But shopping, I havent done much of that yet because I have a closet full of smaller clothes that I have kept. I did buy 2 things on clearance in a size just below what I am now. I can't wait to lose enough to get into those clothes, they are so cute!
    I hated shopping for clothes as it was and is so depressing. If I dont look at tags, I constantly choose clothing that I "think" will fit but end up being 2-3 sizes too small. My view of myself is distorted as inside I don;t believe that I am as big as I am. Then I look in the mirror or see a picture that someone managed to get of me (I hate my picture being taken) and I am shocked at what I see because that is not how I see myself.
  • Quote: I recently gathered up all my outshrunken clothing to go to goodwill. It was a great feeling. I even gathered shorts from the next size down because with 6 months of winter knocking at my door, it will be a while before I will be wearing shorts again and I will be out of that size by the time spring comes around.
    But shopping, I havent done much of that yet because I have a closet full of smaller clothes that I have kept. I did buy 2 things on clearance in a size just below what I am now. I can't wait to lose enough to get into those clothes, they are so cute!
    I hated shopping for clothes as it was and is so depressing. If I dont look at tags, I constantly choose clothing that I "think" will fit but end up being 2-3 sizes too small. My view of myself is distorted as inside I don;t believe that I am as big as I am. Then I look in the mirror or see a picture that someone managed to get of me (I hate my picture being taken) and I am shocked at what I see because that is not how I see myself.
    Well I will get you to LIKE taking pics of yourself so that you can see your progress!!!....just in the 2 pics you have already posted you can see a difference. You are doing great!!!
  • Quote: Well I will get you to LIKE taking pics of yourself so that you can see your progress!!!....just in the 2 pics you have already posted you can see a difference. You are doing great!!!
    Yeah I know, I see the difference too, but, I still don't like it. I will keep taking photos though to post on here. Not sure at what interval though either monthly or at mini milestone.
  • Quote: Yeah I know, I see the difference too, but, I still don't like it. I will keep taking photos though to post on here. Not sure at what interval though either monthly or at mini milestone.
    I have been doing mine monthly You will begin to like it soon enough...haha