Exercise thread - what are you doing?

• Let's move our butts Ladies!

What are you doing to get that exercise point in the winter?

This morning I had to shovel the drive - again. We had freezing rain after the snow so it was really heavy. They are calling for more snow this afternoon - so guess what I'm doing tonight. Sara loves to play in the snow while I'm shovelling.

On other days I use the tread mill. On Wednesday nights I do yoga. Sometimes I count my exercise point when I do an afternoon of heavy cleaning.

I am really beginning to believe that exercise is key. Before the monthly challenges I might have exercised 2 or 3 times a week or whenever I got my lazy butt off the sofa - now it is a big part of my lifestyle.

Dana
  • Workout videos!
    I'm too self-conscious to go to a gym, so I have a collection of videos that I use. I usually try to do 30 minutes of an aerobic video, 5 or 6 days a week. I also do some light weight training 4 days a week, and stretching or yoga 1 or 2 days a week. Or at least that's what I aim for

The videos that I use most often for the aerobics are "The Macarena Workout" (that's what I did this morning ), Leslie Sansone's "2 Mile Walk", Kathy Smith's "March to Fitness", and Tamilee Webb's "Moving to Motown". I sometimes do a longer video on the weekend (Richard Simmons Sweatin' 3 or Disco Sweat or Leslie's 3 Mile Walk or Fat Burning for Dummies).

I use Joyce Vedral's videos for the weight lifting (she breaks the days into upper and lower body). Right now I'm using the bone building workout and fat burning Volume 1. I also have Weight Training Made Easier and Bottoms Up, but I don't think I'm ready for those yet.

For the stretching I use Karen Voight's Pure & Simple Stretch and Basic Yoga for Dummies. I also have the Pilates for Dummies tape, but I can't do half of it (my stomach gets in the way ).
  • I'm trying to walk between 30-60 minutes a day and I also have a Bowflex at home and I use it for upper body every other day. When raining out I have some Leslie Sansone walking tapes, a yoga tape, and Richard Simmons tapes for the VCR.
  • I log my excercise at Alternachicks.

1x a week(or every 5 days)-the gym ALL ME TIME includes completing 3.0 miles as quickly as possible and a grueling weight lifting program

On the days I work I skip the truck and walk the plant (the plant is 5mil x 5mil.

I also bellydance, do aerobic, lift light weights, own an elliptical, and do Pilates and Yoga. Excercise is an oppurtunity and I try to do something everyday.

Miss Chris
  • I work out 6 days a week, for at least an hour each day. I do mostly Tae Bo (I love the Tae Bo Live! Advanced tape), and usually I'll do 20 minutes on my elliptical trainer or do weights also.
  • I try to do some form of exercise every day. Pilates/Yoga/Firm tape at home, or I go to the gym. Lately I've been going to the gym and I'll do 30 minutes of cardio and 90 minutes of weight training (I really enjoy weight training).
  • Cindy Crawford's first tape (blue background, her in a red swimsuit), and mostly been walking.
  • I go to the gym, jog, & lift weights. Typically, I go to an exercise class Monday, Wednesday, & Friday. I either do a step class or a kick-boxing class. Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, & Sunday I jog & do toning. Right now, I'm running 3 to 3 1/2 miles. Then two days I do upper body toning (push-ups, dumb bells, etc.) & two days I do lower body (use the machines at the gym or do squats on my own). I also do ab & oblique work at least 2 days a week.

Exercise is a HUGE part of my life now. I love it & actually schedule other things around it. I absolutely hate it when I have to miss a day, which thankfully doesn't happen too often. But I missed yesterday & felt "off" all day long. It felt soooo good to get back in the gym today!
  • Winter???
    Oh yeah, it's winter in some parts of the world.
    Here, it's like 80 degrees.

I walk for an hour almost every morning.

I do a 10 minute upper arms workout tape and I try to squeeze in my yoga tape (which is about an hour) anywhere I can.

Oh yeah, and the dancing! Mondays I Morris dance for about 1 hour, fridays I Contra Dance for at least 2 hours. School is preventing me from dancing any more than that.
  • I walk for a half hour or more every day and do stretching exercises that include some weight component every day (actually that's part of a therapy program). I recently joined a gym and want to start doing an aerobics class and adding weight training every other day.
  • i'm in california and it feels like winter to me! in fact, the extreme cold was the last straw with my car - busted radiator and head gasket. the car is now getting junked.

ANYWAYS... workout. it is a new obsession of mine, i wasn't as into it a few months ago. right now i am using the videos, i was getting really bored of the stationary bikes.

my two fave. videos to use right now are kathy smith's kickboxing, and minna's emergency workout. i want some suggestions on LONGER workouts though, as these just barely hit 30 minutes and i want to cardio for longer than that. but i like ones that are high energy, walking would be too boring for me. anyone got a good idea for me?
  • Walking the dogs daily and gardening when the weather permits (not too hot) digging the garden is great upper body workout and sometimes I go rowing but not so often now the dam has shrunk.