Hungry after working out

• Hey all,

I need some advice. I usually go to the gym around 8:30pm each night (can't make it any earlier because of my schedule). I eat dinner around 7:20 but once I get back from the gym (9:45 at the latest)..I'm starving! Any advice?

I've tried adding a more fiber to my 7:20 meal...but I still find myself staring in the fridge before I get in bed. If I'm lucky, I can just grab a handful of grapes and be satisfied. Other nights I'll need something a bit heavier.

I know I shouldn't be eating before bed but I'm not sure what the alternative is.
    Thoughts?
  • I'm hungry after the gym also. So I eat a solid, substantial snack with plenty of protein. Do that.

There's nothing intrinsically wrong with eating in the evening before bed. Many, many people, myself included, have lost plenty of weight while enjoying evening snacks. The important thing is your overall calorie shakedown, not when you eat each particular meal.
  • I agree with dietvet. It's not when you eat, but the amount of calories that you eat. If you are truly hungry, have a snack, I would imagine that you'd sleep better. Nothing is worse than being woken up by a grumbling tummy.
  • I'm usually hungry after the gym too. I have a protein shake and that usually holds me over til the next meal. Drink lost of water to replenish what you sweat out too.
  • Protein! Are you getting enough during the day? Also if you have a hard work out you really need to be eating some sort of protein afterwards. I normally eat something like 1/4 cup of cottage cheese with fresh fruit in it. An egg or even some nuts should do just fine too.