Craving bad food

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • Because my husband and I only get $224 a month for food (food stamps), we always run out of the better tasting food (like processed food, snack foods, and chocolate) toward the second half of the month. The end of the month should be a detoxing period for us, because we're left with healthier food, because our little "diet splurges" are gone. Anyway, I was supposed to go grocery shopping on the 3rd, but my mom couldn't take me, because she had no money for gas, and I couldn't give her any, because my husband's ssi got cut dramatically, and we haven't gotten all our monthly bills yet, so we don't know if we're going to have any left for anything "extra" or not, if that makes sense.

Anyway. I was wondering if anyone else has the problem ... like if you only get groceries once or twice a month for the whole month, and if that affects your mentality any. I ask this, because I start to crave "junk foods" and sugar and stuff like that so bad near the end of the month, and at the beginning, before I buy groceries. I can't even write on my stories, because all I can think about is buying groceries, and then I see fast food commercials on, and it makes it worse.

If anyone else ever feels like this, what do you do? I know that eventually I will need to give up these foods for good, but I'm so addicted.
  • You shouldn't be wasting money at any time of the month on junk. As long as you eat it you'll crave it. I get by on SS and am a lot healthier because I have to use the grocery money I have on healthier food - beans, fruits and veggies that are in season and on sale, skim milk, and I get bread at the day old bakery outlet.
  • I don't get any assistance and for my DH and I, I don't spend anywhere near $224 a month on groceries. Wow! I think you need to re-evaluate what you are buying. And soon.
  • Reevaluate how?

I buy a couple things that I crave for a couple meals near the beginning of the month, because I'm craving it so bad. And, honestly, the longer I go without eating what I'm craving the worse the cravings get, and the less I can focus on more important things like my writing.

kateleestar, what are you buying that keeps you in the food the whole month if you're not spending that much? I've noticed that our old diet (mostly processed junk) lasted us most of the month, and now that I've been trying to eat healthier we only get food for about half the month. I buy dry beans, frozen fruit and veggies (I was buying fresh, and it barely lasted us half the month), Greek yogurt, cheese, bread, canned fish/frozen fish, tortillas, frozen chicken ... stuff like that. Maybe some cereal and coconut or almond milk.
  • My husband & I spend less than $50 a week... Around $200 a month for groceries and we eat organic meat & veggies which are very pricey. When I got laid off from work, we spent $20-30 a week on groceries. We never bought anything boxed or canned (except for tomato paste). We found an Asian store and bought fresh veggies for less than $15 for 2 weeks. Fresh veggies like cabbage, broccoli, Brussel sprouts, carrots will last a week or two in your fridge.

The problem with processed & refined foods is that you crave it the more you eat it. Ignore your cravings for a couple of weeks and they will go away by themselves. Also, get checked out if you are insulin resistant or diabetic..that would definitely fuel craving for carbs.
  • I don't know how you all spend so little. I am shopping for a family of 5 and I spend $200 a WEEK. And I make our bread and make our yogurt. Yes, we buy organic milk and eggs and meat, but almost no processed foods at all.

I used to buy veggies at an international market, but half of it was bad within a day or two - quality was off always on half of it, but yes it was cheaper, but I'm not buying at Whole Foods all the time either (will buy meats there as it's higher quality and milk as it's cheaper than at other stores).

And this is for 3 meals a day per person, every day. We don't eat out ever... like twice a year.
  • There aren't any stores like that where I live, nina125. I only have access to Aldi, Save-a-lot, Walmart, Kroger, and Foodlion. Organic is expensive here. Aldi and Save-a-lot are cheap on processed stuff, but their fresh and frozen veggies aren't very cheap anymore. I can load up on frozen veggies from Kroger when they're 10 for 10, and that's the cheapest vegetables I can get. We actually splurged on a chest freezer before husband's check got cut, so we could grab frozen veggies when they went on sale and stock up. That has seemed to help a little, but to be honest ... it gets boring, and doesn't taste nearly as good as junk food that I crave. (Yes, I know typical fat-girl response). I just hate feeling this way. It's almost like a drug addiction withdrawal or something.
  • Serval87, sounds like you are having a difficult time. I so understand the cravings of food, many of us do. Having limited grocery money and deciding what to buy can be very hard sometimes. the gocery buying doesnt affect my mentality but I do have times I eat great and times I dont and if I do not have the money to go buy the junk it is hard to work thru those feelings. I know many people who struggle with emotions and food and me being one of them. It takes a lot of work and I try to just take it one day at a time and many days I succeed and many days I don't , our thoughts and emotions play a big role in our lives and we don't have to listen to them all the time.
    i wish you hugs and encouragement today - one day at a time and I hope you get some encouragment from sharing your struggles. It helps to have others who understand where your at.
  • Thank you, Ashley777. That means a lot.
  • I've actually lost the last 5 or so lbs by eating ramen and Pepsi max (also, I've been exercising almost every day). I overeat on healthy food just like I do on junk food.
  • How about you try to cut one junk food off the menu every month and see how that works? You could start by quitting soda the first month, candy the next, chips the month after, etc. This way you wont feel completely overwhelmed by the changes.
  • Last week I spent something like $106 at the "regular" store and that food will last us till about the 22nd. Along with the things I get at the farmers market - spent $23 - we will be fine and dandy.

This does not include things I already have, like spices and seasonings.

I bought chicken in a multi-pack, frozen. I had my coupons for my frozen veggies that ended up to be B1G1, I got 20. I got pork chops on sale. Pasta for .79 a box, we have it at least once a week. I got cereal for breakfasts, I got a gallon of skim milk for $1.99. I got old fashioned oats. I got brown rice at the mexican market, along with some more veggies and a single steak to stir fry.. I spent $8 there.

This has already fed us for 5 days, I went to the store on Saturday. I have rice for my mexican rice and my sushi, and my stirfry. I have steak for stirfry, chicken for fajitas. The money I spent will cover food till 10/22 when I go to the store again. The only thing I might stop and get is milk, because that won't last, but that's only $1.99. We will likely go out to dinner once before then, because our 3 year anniv is on 10/18, so itll feed us for 21 days. I love my coupons, and I'm cheap. If I have to stop at two stores to get a deal, I will, and I live 'in town' so they arent far apart.

Do you coupon? It's great! I saved $30 some last store visit! ETA: I shop at 2 local stores, and Wal-Mart.
  • I second on the coupons. You can find coupons for healthy foods (we've used them at our house, recently, for almond milk, nuts, Dulcinea watermelons, Del Monte fresh pineapples, yogurt, brown rice, wheat pasta, and whole grain cereal) that, combined with a sale, can get you the healthy stuff for less than the price of the junk.

When we're trying to minimize our grocery budget, we can get by on $50 a week for the two of us...lots of brown rice, beans, veggies/fruits in season and on sale, a small amount of protein, yogurts if they're on sale, and pasta.
  • I coupon a little. I've only been able to use coupons for soda (13 sodas for under $4), greek yogurt, ice cream, almond or coconut milks ... stuff like that. I buy Kroger's brand of veggies (as well as cheese, pasta, and most other things ... I barely ever buy brand name except with drinks, quinoa, and my Greek yogurt). Sadly, kroger rarely sends me any coupons.
  • I just looked and Kroger has a pretty comprehensive online coupon program - you make an account with them, then download coupons from their website right onto your card. The discounts are then applied during checkout.

You can also look at the best deals you can get each week at Kroger by going to one of the coupon matching sites. Couponmom.com or TheKrazyCouponLady.com are good places to start.