Undereating help.

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • So the past week i've religiously been writing down everything i eat and i've realised today i am really not eating enough. Most days i average 800 calories and today i have only had 680. I don't know how long this has actually been going on for since i've only been properly tracking the past week.

I know i should eat more because under eating is just as bad as over eating but here is the thing - i don't feel hungry - emotional hunger sure but not actual real hunger. Should i force myself to eat more anyway? Should i allow myself the chocolate bar when i feel down?

I'm scared if i carry on like this ill end up damaging myself or falling off the wagon big time and not be able to get back on.

I was really pleased with myself for losing 6lbs this week until i worked this out and now i'm in a bit of a panic. Surely this isn't safe?
  • I would eat more, but not chocolate. Just start adding in more real food each day until you think you're around the right calorie level. I had to do this when I was undereating by a few hundred calories, and my body readjusted within a week.
  • you are right about falling off the wagon. i've been in your shoes where i was severely undereating and lose 10 lbs and then i couldnt take it anymore and just stopped dieting altogether. you just need to think of it as a life change. you will not be able to sustain eating so little a day for the rest of your life.
  • any ideas what to add in since i'm not hungry and actually feel stuffed after lunch and dinner (couldnt finish my salad lunch today)?
  • im not trying to eat so little - its just happening. I am aiming for 1200 calories a day and not getting there.
  • Have some olive oil on .. something. Have a potato. Regular milk in coffee/tea. Full fat yogurt. Nuts. A bit of cheese & crackers or peanut butter & crackers. Peanut butter with apple slices or banana. It doesn't have to be a lot of food, but something calorically dense and nutritious should keep you healthier.
  • Hi Rechyl

I have the same problem, especially when busy at work i wont have time for lunch etc and realise by the evening that i havnt had nearly enough calories. I have started to take a 'healthy snack box' (approx 200cals) to work, to nibble on through the day. This normally includes things like nuts, raisens etc. Both are healthy, but relatively high in cals so you ll be getting the 'goodness' but wont feel overly stuffed.

x
  • i know it sounds crazy, but it might be good to introduce small portions of "treats" into your diet. it will help you to sustain the lowered amount of calories for the long term. i carry fun size of twix or kit kat or chips. i want to be able to enjoy treats with control...
  • I have this issue—there are many days where if I listened to my hunger cues I would be far under a healthy amount of calories.

I plan out my meals and I eat at scheduled times—whether I'm hungry or not. This allows me to make sure I'm getting enough calories throughout the day.

For breakfast I often rotate the same few foods, but my breakfasts are quick enough that I have time in the morning to make them.

My lunch is generally the same every day and I'll make it the night before and stick it in the frige. That way it's ready to go for me to take to work.

I live at home so I get a cooked dinner. I generally can't plan this meal because my mom cooks whatever she feels like. It's one of the reasons why my breakfast and lunch are very low in calories (200-250 for breakfast, 250-350 for lunch) because I want to make sure I have enough calories left over for dinner. I usually have a 50-100 calorie snack when I get home to sustain me between lunch and dinner on the rare chance I am hungry when I get home.
  • Are you stressed about anything?

A few weeks back I had a week where I was severely under eating like 900 a day but I was extremely stressed out that week. I fixed it next week and now I am good with the 1200-1400 calories per day.

I would eat a little more because eventually the under eating will catch up with you and you will be exhausted. At least I was super exhausted until I forced myself to eat a little more.
  • I actually posted about the same issue recently...I kept undereating and didn't know how to fix it. A few people on here suggested eating the same AMOUNT of food (since I wasn't hungry), but choosing higher calorie foods (i.e., full fat yogurt instead of 0%, a couple of tablespoons of peanut butter with your apple, etc.) That totally solved the problem- for me, at least. Hopefully it'll be a helpful strategy for you too!
  • Cheese or a couple tbs of peanut butter will give you a very quick 200+ extra calories.

I would really up your cals not for fear of a binge lurking ahead, but because you really can't possibly get all the protein, fats, and nutrients in at 600 calories. I'm at 1200 a day and struggle to get everything in. Cals that low don't leave much wiggle room!
  • Hi! I completely agree with the ladies who suggest getting more calorie/nutrient dense foods in. That will help you not feel like you are eating more, but get you those extra calories so that you aren't putting your body at risk (cheese, full fat everything, nuts, a treat now and then, etc.). Right now my calorie allowance for a 1-2 lb loss a week is 2000!! It is a crazy amount for loss I know, but I am on such a crazy training plan that it is what I need for my body to not go into starvation mode and store everything. I found for a little bit I was afraid to go over 1600 kcal, and that was when I STALLED BIG TIME lol! I new the numbers would work for loss but I was deathly afraid I would stop losing if I kept eating 1900-2000. As soon as I added the cals back in-loss again haha! So just trust the numbers game, it works and you will do great! I hope that this helps you, and keep coming to 3FC for support, it is amazing and awesome! You are doing great!
  • Quote: I have this issue—there are many days where if I listened to my hunger cues I would be far under a healthy amount of calories.

I plan out my meals and I eat at scheduled times—whether I'm hungry or not. This allows me to make sure I'm getting enough calories throughout the day.
    I do the exact same thing. My hunger cues are not very reliable and I definitely do not want to under eat. It's something I struggled with for 17 years, and I'm done. About 1.5 yrs ago, I saw a nutritionist, worked out a plan, then changed the plan to fit my life and scheduled my meals. Without that, I'd definitely under eat.
    Breakfast - 8:30am
    Snack - 11:00am
    Lunch - 1:30pm
    Snack - 4:00pm
    Dinner - 6:30pm
    Snack - 9:00pm
    I know exactly what I'm eating and exactly what time it's happening. With this, I've been able to stay on plan without being hungry, lightheaded or full and knowing that I'm eating healthy and enough for my body.
  • I know the feeling! I work such odd shifts that I have to work when I'm hungry (I work in retail so can't eat on the shop floor) and by the time my break comes round the hunger has gone and I'm just not hungry. I agree with what many of the posters have said and suggest adding some olive oil, peanut butter and crackers are good as well, a banana, I also added a little extra to my breakfast like a portion of cereal a little extra milk and fruit.