Working out without blowing out my knees

• Need advice. I'm 398 lbs and my doc tells me I need to get more exercise, but doesn't recommend any. Of course, thanks for being so helpful doc. Anywho, was wondering if anyone had any thoughts for me, cause I need to start out slow, but I don't wanna hurt myself either.

Any specific workouts or programs worked for the ones out there who had a bunch to lose like I have?
  • Hi Rhiannon-

Do you swim? Would you have access to a pool? It's a perfect overall exercise that is very gentle on joints.

good luck!!
    Rhonda
  • How about light chair exercises?
  • There's nothing wrong with just walking and the price is right. When I started I had chronic back pain and knee problems. Some days I would only walk 10 minutes, but I walked. Each day I'd walk a few more minutes than was comfortable and it really did get easier, better and I started to look forward to it. I also really love the Walk Away the Pounds videos, often available on On Demand too. She always has a gentle version available and some that are just 1 mile. I still use the workouts with weights in the winter.

The most important thing is that you commit to moving every day, or most days. Even if it's 10 minutes just keep doing it and it will get easier
  • I definitely agree with walking and swimming. Swimming is low impact, and walking is something you can do as slow as you want to start and build up from there. Congrats on starting to exercise!
  • Swimming, walking, water aerobics, pilates, and hand weights would be my initial thoughts. Thare are also those machines at some gyms where you circle your arms around to get a cardio workout from your upper body (no clue what they are called!).

I have bad knees and I still do a ton (I swim, weight lift, and walk). Since your starting out ease into and find something you love and you feel like you can stick with (something you stick with is by far the most important part! ).
  • You don't have to swim laps to benefit from water exercise. I've been exercising in the warm water therapy pool for the last 5-6 years, even though most of that time I was unable to swim laps.

I walked in the shallow end of the pool, and in the deep end - I tread water and used the equipment the pool provided - noodles, paddles and water dumbells (the paddles and weights add resistance. The dumbells float because they're made of styrofoam, but it takes some strength to pull or push them under the water).

I'm now able to swim in the YMCA pool (I really miss the warm water, but the warm water program has become so expensive, that my husband and I decided to join the YMCA on a trial membership to see if I could get used to the slightly colder water and air temperature).

It has been hard for me to get used to the cooler water, but the hot tub (which the warm water pool didn't have) has been my incentive and reward.

I still can do a lot more in the water than I can on land, and I'm less prone to injury (I can't walk well on uneven ground because of very weak ankles and poor ankles).

If you can find a warm water program, I highly recommend it. To find out if there's a program near you, you can ask your doctor, or call your local resources for the elderly and disabled, or your local United Way or other social service resources - or The Arthritis Foundation (because the Arthritis Foundation certifies programs that meet their criteria).
  • Did you ask your doctor for suggestions?
  • Swimming, walking or any type of water exercise. Very low impact. I also find swimming very relaxing. I don't have to move ridiculously fast to get a good work out.