Newbie Here, Wanna Loose 10 lbs!

• Hello! I was directed to featherweights by a kind member over in Weight Loss Support. Here was my original post

I went from not working out more than 1 time a week for almost 2 years to working out 3-4 times a week for the last 4 weeks. Also, I have been watching what I eat, definitely eating less than before I started working out. In almost a month I haven't lost any weight or inches. At all. I feel better, but that is about it. My workouts are:

Mon: 45 min. intense weight-aerobics class w/ abs
    Tues: 45 min. intense kickboxing (sometimes with weights) class w/ abs, 15 min. of low impact cycling
    Wed: 45 min. intense weight-aerobics class w/ abs
    Fri: 30 min. raquetball with husband

I don't understand how going from not working out ever, to a 4 day a week routine has not made me lose any inches? Am I not doing enough cardio? I have never had issues losing weight before. Extra info: my goal is 10 lbs, and I am 25 years old.

My goal is to go from my current 121 lbs to 111 lbs. and be very fit looking- I model sometimes and I considering I'm fairly short it helps your business to be very fit when you're "petite". I am trying to do this the right way so I am healthy and don't just pile weight back on at the first slip up. All tips are appreciated!!
  • If you're just starting to exercise or incorporate physical activity then your body will most likely have water retention. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water. I aim for 64+ oz per day. Try adding some resistance training to your regimen. That will help you build muscles and burn more calories at rest.

Keep a food journal. You said that you're eating less than before. How much did you eat before? People tend to underestimate their calorie intake and I was one of those. I started to keep a food journal and was amazed at how much I thought I ate compared to how much I really ate.

At your height and weight your BMI is in the normal range of 21. Maybe what you are aiming for is not realistic. I know that BMI doesn't account for much. Sometimes you have to take your frame size into consideration when you are setting your weight loss goals. With that said, it is usually harder for those last few pounds to shred. I've been stuck at a plateau for almost 4 weeks now. Maybe youre stuck at a plateau. Change things up a bit and Lower your calorie intake by 100-200 (depending on what you're consuming now) and see how that goes.
  • Weight loss is WAY more about diet than exercise. You can burn 300 calories in a 45 minute class, which you can easily accidentally eat back by having an extra bowl of cereal and a slightly-larger-than-one-serving piece of chicken.

Your exercise is awesome for your fitness, but I would NOT rely on exercise to help you lose weight.

"eating less" than you were before is awesome. But it sounds like you are eating exactly at your maintenance calories- you are eating what your body needs every day to burn, thus are not losing weight.

It may help to start counting calories for a bit to see how much you are intaking. Weigh or measure your food too to get an accurate sense- don't just eyeball it- that's how people accidentally eat 200-300 calories a day more than they think they are, which is all it takes to gain or maintain.

It's unfortunate how strict we feathers have to be but those last few pounds are super stubborn
  • Hi, if you don't see results in a few more weeks I would change your exercises. Try switching to straight cardio (elliptical or running) 3-4x per week for 25-30 min and add 2-3 hour long pilates sessions. I would keep the raquetball though, it's so much fun. That's pretty much what I did my body changed completely.
  • Ryler- Yesterday I started on my super water-drinking regimen. My weight has been fluctuating between 121-124 from day to day but I weighed my self this morning and I was 120. I also FELT way better! I decided to reeeally track my calories, and guzzle water like crazy this week and see what impact that makes. I am going to try and not weigh myself again until Mon.

Also where'd you get that sweet avatar?
  • I agree with the previous poster, diet is more related to weight loss than exercise. Exercise is a great boost to losing weight but weight is more tied too diet. Are you eating clean? Lean meats, lots of veggies and fruits? Definitely drink lots of water though. I exercise regularly too get fit and SCULPT my body, is why I exercise. I figure if I am going to to get my body healthy through food, I might as well not half *** it, so I exercise too.
  • Quote: Ryler- Yesterday I started on my super water-drinking regimen. My weight has been fluctuating between 121-124 from day to day but I weighed my self this morning and I was 120. I also FELT way better! I decided to reeeally track my calories, and guzzle water like crazy this week and see what impact that makes. I am going to try and not weigh myself again until Mon.

Also where'd you get that sweet avatar?
    That's wonderful. I love it when the scale goes down. Keep at it and you'll reach your goal in no time. Water is the only thing I drink. It does wonders to your skin.

I got my avatar from www.mvm.com. I created each one by itself and then combined it in a photo editing software. Hope that helps.