~~October Golden Girls~~

You're on Page 7 of 28
Go to
  • I'm going to post this again, since none of you have responded: does this remind you of anyone??

Now, then... I ran across this passage in a book. "Rarely had Jamie seen lime green and purple used together with such abandon. Harem pants billowed around her hips and tucked in at her ankle; a hip-length vest, sprinkled heavily with crystal bead, sparkled like a fireworks display. She wore gold tennis shoes, and her fingernails were a deep scarlet that matched her lipstick."
  • Hello Goldens!

Just stopping by to add a few responses tonight.....

First: ROSEY!!!! Good for you! You are getting stronger by the day.

Marie, Yay on being a grandma for the weekend! That is so wonderful! Even though she is older than you - I see you as Goldie Hawn. She is eternally young, bright and energetic. I read somewhere that she is a real animal lover and I know that she loves the mountain west.

Donna, that wind comming off the front range is powerful! I am so glad that nothing worse happened. Believe it or not, I am a serious klutz! Even at my heaviest, I was always having klutz moments. I console myself with the idea that a year ago I would have fallen and really hurt something.

Freda, glad that you made it through the MRI.

Mary, GRRR on the travel problems. I hope it gets better.

Carol, I checked out your picture. What a sweet face! I think you are right, Joanne it is. But don't we all have a little inner Raquel?

Ok, gonna curl up and watch Chopped tonight. Later

Rie

• Donna, I meant to say earlier that the "quote" you posted has to be our Zoe!! I thought that I had said that earlier..must have deamed it!! LOL!!
  • CK, isn't it just a PERFECT description???????
  • Good Morning GG's,

The MRI went pretty well. Thank God for valium! I took 1 an hour before and it relaxed me enought that they didn't have to pull me kicking and screaming out of the machine. I was talking to a friend yesterday, another nurse, and she said she had to be pulled out. I'm still not doing great. Have a very hard time getting up and down, can't move once I lay down, but it is getting better. Makes me really angry because I want to be outside enjoying this beautiful fall weather. DH has been out this week doing the clean up, pulling up the old flowers and cleaning up the beds. The roses are giving their last big hurrah, and I'll put them to bed as soon as I can get out there. DH doesn't know how to do that. I'm going to try to get out and do a little walking today. I haven't been out (except to the Dr.) for 2 weeks and i'm going stir crazy.

Rosie, A big YEAH for you. Exercise those legs every chance you get. Are you still doing your exercises? That's why I said don't count out traveling this spring. Look at the progress you've already made.

Marie, I can totally see you as Goldie. Full of life, funny, and a big animal lover. Drive safely. I hate trying to drive on those icy roads. Have fun with that GS.

Karen, welcome home. Glad you made it (almost) safe and sound. Are you still sore?

Donna, Yes, I did think of Z when I read that description. I thought you were talking about a book, but she came to mind immedieatly. I loved Lilly Tomlin. Remember little Edith. I can't remember the name of telephone operaor either, but I remember "one ringie dingie, 2 ringie dingy)

Carol, It was nice seeing your picture. What do you mean you couldn't be raquel? Grown your hair longer, put on a pair of glasses (what kind does she do commercials for?) and it could be you. And it's all about attitude.

Lynn, I'm so glad to hear that your friends daughter is doing better and headed home. I know she must be so anxious to get home to that baby.

Rie, i'm kind of klutzie too. I can trip over anything. The trick is to pretend you did it on purpose. I always say "I did that on purpose. i'm so glad all those dance lessons paid off".

everyone, have a great day,

Freda
  • Quote: I don’t know about Shirley MacLaine for you… she’s far out, wild, and wooly, and you’re educated, urbane, sophisticated and devoted to your friends and family. Have you a second side that you haven’t shown us? I don’t see the physical resemblance, either.
    Oh Donna,

Your description of me made me laugh out loud (scared the cat sitting on my lap). I am NOT urbane or sophisticated. I am known as the wild woman of the family. My nieces used to think that I was like Isadora Duncan - the one who died by having her long scarf strangle her while she was speeding around in a little sports convertible in the South of France.

As a kid, if there was trouble, I was in it. Of course, at a Catholic school, the "trouble" was not very bad. Things like reading the wrong books, wearing the wrong clothes (on days that we did not have to wear our uniforms), talking in church were the punishable offenses. Of course, I took it to the next level by getting pregnant in my Junior year.

When my first marriage ended, I was 30 and went pretty wild for a while - drinking, partying, dating, smoking (various things), and traveling. These were my Isadora Duncan days. I also got involved with various social and political causes and movements.

At this point in my life, the only thing I still do is the traveling.

So, "yes" - there is a side that I obviously have not described. I did not mean to present a different me, I just have a tendency to write in a way that is "short and (hopefully) sweet." Often that makes me seem "less ditzy" than I really am.

Lynn
  • Good morning GG's,

Two days down, one more to go then off the weekend ~ Yippee.

This weekend is Corbin's birthday ~ he'll be 14 ~ where has the time gone? Gotta get his presents wrapped. He likes music (plays violin, drums and some guitar) and has a Beatles poster at the head of his bed. I had two Beatles album covers and found at the Hobby Lobby frames made especially for displaying album covers and so got that for him. And best of all they were on sale 1/2 off. Also gonna make him a bucket of M&M cookie dough ~ but I think I will wrap a picture of a cookie to throw him off.

I made a batch of the WW zero point vegetable soup the other day ~ thinking that if I ate that in the evening with my salad ~ it would fill me up and I would be less likely to munch. It seemed to work for the munching, but messed up my sleep. My sister had told me that the spinach in it was like a diuretic ~ guess she was right ~ I was up every two hours to the bathroom the last two nights, so guess I won't eat that soup in the evening any more.

Just a few comments this morning ~ will have to catch up with the rest of the personals later.

Lynn ~ maybe we each have a side to us that would kind of suprise the others here.

Carol ~ nice to see your picture ~ have a face to go with the name.

Donna ~ yes ~ Lily Tomlin for you ~ you have a fun sense of humor too. And when I read your description ~ it made me think of Zoe also, but I wasn't sure if we were to comment or what.

Freda ~ sorry your back is keeping you from enjoying the nice fall weather ~ hopefully it will get better soon. Ernestine was the name of the telephone operator that Lily Tomlin played ~ sorry ~ I wracked my brain but could not remember ~ so I cheated and googled it

Rosey ~ way to go ~ that is awesome and so exciting for you.

Woops ~ time to go get dressed ~ I could just keep happily gorking and forget about work ~ but my work place would not take to kindly to that.

Hope you all have a great day.

Take care
  • Good Morning, All..

Quick check in, have to get rolling....

Lynn - I never would have thought that about you! I wonder how many of us are Catholic (or recovering Catholic) girlies? A lot of us do seem to have gone way to the left of center in behavior before we came back to our senses, though! I always blamed the Catholic upbringing that made me rebel in such dangerous ways... but I did come back to sanity, finally. And I have NOTHING to do with Catholicism now. I, personally, think you're wonderful!

The quote IS from a book... I read it and thought, "OMG, that's Zoe they're describing".... so perfect!

Freda, oh, I hope your back is well soon. There is nothing, nothing, NOTHING worse!

Bobbi - Are the headaches still gone? Be sure to take pictures of the new floors! Oooh, pretty!

Rosey, Rie, Marie, Mary, CK, KarenFL... the ones I missed... Everyone, have a good day. Gotta GO

• Lynn and Jess1 - Although I am not Catholic, I grew up in a very strict home, and I agree that all H*ll broke lose later as a result. I did everything that my mother said "thou shalt not do" just to see why not. LOL
  • Val, I do like Goldie Hawn. She can play me.

Freda, I hope you feel better soon. I can imagine not enjoying the pretty weather would drive you (and me) bonkers.

I'm a bit klutzy like Val and Freda. When DH and I ski or rollerblade, that's when I fall over. Not going full speed ahead - I'm good with that. But stand me still and plunk, down I go. Nearly fell last week rollerblading as we stood still.

Lynn, wow - you were the wild child??? I was in the same thought pattern as Donna, that you were reserved and sophisticated.

Gayle, if its one thing, its another screwing up our sleep. How about making the soup without the spinach?

Carol and Donna, I didn't grow up in a strict household (my 9 year older sister did... she broke my parents for me) but I can say I was not a sweet, rule abiding child. I was naughty through my late teens and no one every caught on. At this point I can't tell my parents some of this I did behind their back as they'd have a heart attack. They don't need to know. I have told my couple of my siblings and they don't look at me the same anymore. My halo was permanently tarnished.

Last night I looked at the forecast for today and they'd said freezing fog for the morning commute. They were wrong. YIPPEE!! It was 37 degrees so I drove speedily to work. Good thing the roads weren't icy since I played with my doggies too long and was running quite late. Not much else to report. I'm looking forward to DGS time this weekend!
    Marie
  • Hello Goldens!

Well, I am having a busy day. Did a killer workout this morning and I am basking in the glow.

I think we must all still be former wild girls. I went to high school in the 70's (nuff said) and I have always said that I wasn't sure how my parents still liked me after they survived my adolescence. Needless to say, none of my relatives are surprised that I became a professional who specializes in delinquent kids... I too, got pregnant early and managed to be a pretty decent parent while continuing adventures with all kinds of fun behaviors.

Lynn, count me as the clueless one, but somehow I am the least surprised by your past adventures..... Maybe we share some perspective....

Marie, it was sure cold here this morning.... Only 45 degrees but the wind was blowing and it was raining hard. I'm glad that no ice greeted your commute. Double hugs - you know why.

Carol, my mom is still fond of telling me that my behavior was my dad's fault because he was not strict enough with me. Thanks! I will be able to tell her that being strict would have made it worse.

Hi Donna! I thought immediately of Zoe but I thought it was a book reference that you guys only understand. You are all always reading these great books while I read Nora Roberts and Stephen King.... Is it cold in Denver?

On the church thing: I was raised in a Congregational church that was so conservative that they still had service in German when I was little. My family were founding members. When confirmation class came at the age of 14, I actually thought that it was time for an intellectual discussion of biblical matters. I asked too many questions! Apparently it was very upsetting to the minister who, in a meeting with my parents and grandparents, decided that my biblical knowledge was "sufficient" and that my questions were "disruptive" to the class. My family stuck up for me and I was allowed to be confirmed in the church without completing the course. Crazy. I had lots of friends who were catholic and I would attend church with them when I was with them. I was always entranced by the idea of confession and such that you could get absolution. My church believed that sin stuck to you like velcro

Gayle, it sounds like your gs has great taste - and a gma who is wonderful to recognize his likes. NICE

Freda, I hope that your back continues to improve. When will you get a diagnosis? Sorry that you are missing the fall weather.

CK, I am so glad that you are home safe and I hope that everything works out the right way about the house.

Well, I need to get some work done and I am going to see a movie tonight with friends. Have a great day and I will check in later.

Rie
  • Hey all,,,,just a few notes about my strange life. First: 2 days ago I figured I couldn't stand wearing those soft nonsupportive bras anymore...just C.O.U.L.D.N'T! So put on my favorite big girl bra and it was a miracle. Took weight off and protected the scar. Heck wore it 13 hours happily! Today 4 different people mentioned I looked so much better/brighter....how do I answer that "Better Boob Holder?"

2: You are comparing schools for strictness. I went to a Seminary for Girls as a boarder. We sang a prayer before bkft, chapel after bkft,and prayer before supper and then prayer before studyhall every night. Sundays were different....prayer before bkft,lunch and dinner plus church and vespers in the evening before studyhall. We even had to take religion as a minor all with PE and health.Freshmen and sophomores studied the Old Testament and Jr and Seniors the New Testament. Your grade counted towards your GPA. It was actually handled like a history course. Much of the church teachings were still in old German. Along with customs.....still way more liberal than the Amish. All basied on Lutheranism. Admit got a fine eduacation, but sure did make me a Heller on the weekends off. I was a smoking hottie. Course i got married at 18 and then we put the 2 of us thru college the hard way.

Freda....When they suggested Sally Fields for you my first thought was what did your school cap look like?

Donna.....i can see you sitting in the rocker or snorting and pulling on bra straps. She has your quirky humor. Love you cause I need quirkys that understand me.

Rosie....pish just wait about the trip. Another 30lbs and you'll be a new you. One of us could win the Lottery and takes all on a world cruise. The only thing in life for sure is everything changes. You have come so far....I still remember worrying about you when you disappeared.

Off to put on jammies and feets up....k3
  • Haven't been on my computer much today as the window guys were here today and working in my office. I have a netbook but I hate it and never want to use it and I have an iPhone but only use it to look things up when traveling or shopping, email and FB. So now we have two of our three bedrooms (one is my office) windows finished and only have three more to go. With the extra expense we have right now those will have to wait a while. The young man who installs the windows likes our trailer and is going to try and get money for it. He and his wife are very nice and so young and cute...made us feel very old!

I hung around here until the windows were finished and then went out to buy groceries. I got some hazelnut sugar-free, no carb/cal, syrup. Going to experiment with my mochas and some of the MF meals. I have collected a lot of great recipes from the MF website. Some one asked what MF is...it is the Medifast diet. I had the yummy chocolate chip pancakes again this am...don't know what I'll do when they are gone...will have to eat the plain ones. They are good too but oh, the chocolate chip ones are SO good! I have so many products on hand now it is difficult to choose what to eat! Today we got up early and I still ate every two hours so tonight could only have one mini-meal. No hunger but I did wish I could eat....it's just watching TV makes me want to eat. But I was able to get through it fine. Just kept my mind on my goal and not being really hungry sure helps.

Donna - Glad you are doing well on your diet too...is that the hormone one? I hope they are safe...I have always been afraid of it. Keep us informed on how you are doing.

Karen3 - Glad you got the bra thing working out. Being comfortable is what I care about these days.

I didn't have a strict upbringing really...no rules. The closest thing to "rules" was if I sat in the car too long outside the house with my bf (who stayed weekends with us) my mom would come out and tell me I needed to come inside. But there was no curfew or anything. I was never grounded. The thing is I just knew what they wouldn't approve of and I mostly tried to be good so I wouldn't hurt them...but they never approved of me any way! I was the "black sheep" in our family. LOL Mom thought I did all kinds of things I never actually did! Sometimes I thought maybe I should have done it since she thought I did anyway. But really now I'm glad I didn't do it all. The things I did do, I hope mom never knew but I think she suspected. I never smoked (except to try it once) and didn't drink until I was out of high school...then I drank quite a bit for a year or two but my partying was very tame compared to kids today. I never really cared that much about it. Then I got married, and started having kids and since then seldom drank. I always thought of myself as being very shy and not with it, but once I was telling a friend things I did do, and she said, Mary, you were wild! What? I thought SHE was wild at the time (I mean at the time of THIS conversation, in her mid-30s!)...LOL Guess it's just your perspective. I know I'd do a lot of things differently now or at least I hope I would, but when you are young you don't see/understand things the same way.

I sent in the documents on the travel insurance claim, and they sent me back an email saying I seem to be requesting claim forms and they'd already sent them. So I called today to see if they actually received all eleven forms, they had, and he reviewed them while I waited but would not give me an answer yet. Said in a few days they'd let me know. At this point I'm ok with whatever they say, I hope we can get the $500+ back but honestly don't think we will.

Freda - Joe's MRI took a long time. Many people get claustrophic. Mine was not that long and it didn't really bother me but I might if I were there too long. I hope you have good results.

Rosey - So happy you are walking easier! You have truly come a long way!

I know I missed some of you...so hi to the rest!
  • Marie, one thing I love about retirement is not having to go out in snowy weather. I like winter and I like to see the snow, but not drive in it.
  • Good Morning, All…

Rosey – congrats on your walking! That’s great! And your weight squiggly keeps dropping… you’ll be the smallest twig at the GGGathering!

Marie – are you old enough to remember an actress named Peggy Lipton (Mod Squad)… I think she looks like you (or vice versa). No, I’m not doing MF. I’m doing an alternative. I’m not sure I can talk about it here (it wasn’t allowed the last time I tried it), but you can ask on FB if you’re interested. The woman you offered to help move: is that the hated DIL? If so, I admire you greatly! I get confused with the DSs, DFs, D-everythings. It’s so much easier with NAMES. I hope you’re enjoying your time with the grandson! Oh, I just reread it, and it made more sense… this is your daughter! Okay…

CarolSue – I take it you made your way back to sanity, too, after your forays into the Wild World of no religious oppression?

Lynn – your teenage pregnancy… is that your DD or did you give the baby up for adoption? I’m glad I’m not the only one to be surprised at your description of being wild and wooly.

Rie – reading great books??? Oh, no, my little one! I read trashy novels and enjoy them! That Zoe passage was from a very nice, but very un-great, little book by Emilie Richards. They’re just NICE, and everything always works out in the end.

With Catholicism, you could get absolution in the confessional, but that GUILT was with you always! I don’t think they have confessionals anymore; I think you have to go and do a face-to-face with the priest. I think NOT. I’ll bet their participation rate has dropped a LOT. I would whither up and die of embarassment!

KarenFL – when the “girls” are happy, you’re happy, right? Good for you. You sound great! I’ll just bet you were a “smokin’ hottie”! I’ll bet you still ARE.

I already sit in the rocker and snort. I figure I’ll be the old lady on the porch, in the rocker, with the shotgun… hollering at the hooligans. I was hoping that someone would win the lottery and/or find a rich sugar mama/daddy, and spring for our trip! At my vast crone age, I don’t much care if it’s a sugar mama or sugar daddy (since I intend to read ONLY to him/her); I just want the big bucks!

Mary – glad you’re still doing well on your MF. Yes, my diet is safe. I’ve done it before and have had good results. It’s not for everyone, for sure… you have to be pretty fluffy, for one thing, with lots of extra fat. I don’t think that applies to a lot of the goldens. It works for me.

Nothing on the agenda. SamCat let me sleep until 9 a.m. (he was SO weak from hunger!). It rained in the night, and I think Winter is on its way. The high country has already had the white stuff, and the WeatherFool said it might appear in the city tonight. Hmmm. I trust nothing! The furnace kicked on this morning, though… I’m starting to perk up!!

Hope you all have a lovely weekend! Onward………….