Beck Diet For Life/Solution – October 2011 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

You're on Page 1 of 16
Go to
  • Welcome to the discussion group, support group, diet coach group, diet buddy group relating to the two books by Dr. Judith S. Beck:and the first bookThe Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Therapy (CT).

The Complete Beck Diet for Life expands the earlier work and includes a food plan with suggested menus. From the cover:
    With The Complete Beck Diet for Life you'll discover the 5 stages of successful dieting and maintenance. You'll learn how to motivate yourself, give yourself credit for every change you make, create time and energy for dieting, and handle hunger and cravings. Dr. Beck eases you into changing one step at a time. You'll master one task before moving on to the next. And you'll learn techniques to deal with challenging situations, such as sticking with ou plan at celebrations and dealing with "food pushers." With Dr. Beck's skills, you'll achieve a lifetime of healthful eating and lifelong motivation.
    This is a place to discuss the Beck strategies and our daily efforts, to receive and provide support, and, for some of us, is where we serve as on-line diet buddy (coach) to each other.

If you’ve arrived from a search engine, you’ve landed at the site of 3 fat chicks, a remarkable place for those interested in a healthy life style, including mindful eating, exercise, and weight loss. More about the site, including how to register so that you can post can be found here.

The books are available on Amazon through the 3FC store by clicking their names above; buying through 3FC helps to cover the costs of running this site.

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:

List of Monthly Beck Threads for Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
  • Saturday
    Diet Coaches/Buddies - Walked (CREDIT moi) to a Thai restaurant last night where I ordered steamed ginger fish (cod around here) - CREDIT moi - remembering that Beverlyjoy always orders that. It was good stuff and I didn't feel like it was overeating to finish the plate (except for half the brown rice).

gardenerjoy – Kudos for setting a goal - daily weigh-in's for the month of September - and meeting it.

Beverlyjoy – Love it, "Time to play."

pamaga – Thanks for the reminder that it was time to start the October thread. As well as thanks for the description of the Omron pedometer.

maryann - Monster Kudos for "Credit for letting myself feel good about it." Neat that good changes are happening.

Tazzy - I second the observation by gardenerjoy - in a calorimeter in a laboratory, 3500 calories is a pound. In humans, there's more to the story. My take is that you could proceed with your 1500 calories for a spell and see how your body responds; it'll tell you what it needs. Kudos for charging into that closet.

BelovedK - Congrats on two pounds gone forever.

Val (va1erie) – Now I want a 'tagine' - that's one neat looking pot. Kudos for stopping at half of your entree.

Readers -
    Quote:
    chapter 4
    Stage 1 The Success Skills Plan

Success Skill 6 Overcome Hunger, Cravings, and Emotional Eating

experiment 1
    Prove to yourself that you confuse hunger with other states.
    Many of the dieters I've worked with initially thought they knew what hunger was, but they didn't. Whenever they wanted to eat, they thought, I'm hungry, even if they had just finished a large meal half an hour before. Labeling their sensations as "hunger" made it feel legitimate for them to eat, even when it wasn't time for them to eat. In reality, many of us want to eat multiple times a day when our stomachs are not empty and we are not experiencing true hunger. It's important to become adept at overcoming this desire so you can control your eating and keep off excess weight for the rest of you life.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg. 73.
  • report: read my cards, weighed (no change), got very little spontaneous exercise yesterday as I was in the car much of the day, no planned as I wasn't in town for my class. Contacted my diet buddy.

I've been maintaining under my "hard stop" (the number I NEVER want to see on the scale again) of 118 for over five months now, with only a short rise into 115-territory for a few days after a vacation in August, so I've lowered it to 117. Makes me feel a little nervous, because if I hit that hard stop I'll feel I've gone out of control and right now I'm only 4 pounds under it. But I'd really like to continue to pull that hard stop downward. My orthopedic surgeon has told me that I almost can't be too thin, and I'm nowhere near the point anyone would be telling me I'm too thin. Well, weight watchers would tell me that at 109, but I think they're nuts -- I weighed between 107 and 112 from ages 17 to 31, and I was definitely not too thin. I think the bottom end of their weight ranges are "average/normal" weights, especially for small-boned people.

Off this afternoon to see Dickinson College in Carlisle PA, including doing a tour, so I'll probably get a good walk in. Then on to Philadelphia hoping to get in in time to pick up Robin at the airport, otherwise we'll meet at the hotel.

BBE -- did you feel like half the brown rice was overeating?

Have a great day, all!
  • Happy October Everyone!

Things have been chugging along over here. I got in some good movement yesterday. I actually got to sleep at a normal time and am awake at a normal time.

It's a little dreary out today, but I still want to get some things done around the house and go grocery shopping. I need some fresh fruit and vegetables around, especially.

Unfortunately I did a lousy job of planning this past week, so my aim for this week is to plan much better, of course. It's not necessarily an "all or nothing" mentality... but I feel as though when one thing is off in my world that everything gets a little shifted. I did manage to eat within my Points, and exercise every day this week... yet because of little things feeling a bit odd I don't think I gave myself the credit I was due for sticking to my plan even during these times.

I just finished reading my ARCs, reminding myself why I'm on this journey. And I'll be off to get breakfast shortly and then be ready to start the day.

Have a fabulous weekend, everyone!
  • Good morning, buddies! I am running around like a chicken with my head cut off trying to get ready to go to the airport to meet Val for the Beck workshop.

So this thread clears out and restarts every month? Does that mean that the older posts are no longer accessible?

my report: my weight was up .8 yesterday and down .4 today. Stuck to my plan but had a little trouble with the slow and mindful part; feeling very rushed, busy, and stressed out by the upcoming surgery. Read my cards and also stuck them in my purse in case I can use them in some way at the workshop.

Lovely, I know just what you mean when you say you feel the whole world shifts when one little thing is off balance. (That's pretty much the story of my life lately.) Hopefully we will both regain our equilibrium soon--without falling into the dual traps of all-or-nothing thinking and unplanned eating!

OK, I'm outta here. Can't wait to find out what Beck has in store for us tomorrow!

Robin
  • Hello Beck Friends!

I am out of sight but not out of mind. I've been presented with a pressing need with my sibling which will take every emotional resource I have. I am back to one day at a time. I recognize that I must exercise the utmost in self care moment to moment. I had an off plan lunch yesterday, but that was it....once again, done. As I lay awake for many many hours last night I was absolutely dumbfounded that I did not want to "eat this problem away". I quite frankly have no idea what or where or how the solution is going to come, but am grateful to BDS for helping me to understand the answer is not in food.

I have some "catching up" to do, both here, and in my home environment. I will work on that today. In the meantime, I will go weigh myself and proceed to green smoothie making; my every day OP breakfast. Then I will pick up and tidy my house before heading out for exercise. That is what I can do today. *credit*

Thanks for being here, everyone. I "kind of" read posts yesterday. I will take time today to sit down and read again.
  • Good Morning, Coaches
    The first day of my favorite month. I have lots to celebrate today. 24 years ago today I stopped drinking. How grateful I am that DS will never have to see his mother drunk. That is a big deal in a family with generational alcoholism. I met my exercise goal of 30 mins a day exercise average for the month. That is three months straight. I have made a budget to help with school and a big trip to Disney World in January. I was under budget this month - a first. On and on I could go - MFA program, healthy family, friends. I am humble in my absolute gratitude.

Also, finally fall weather - slight cool, around here the smell of harvest. Terrific. DH took DS to the ranch to change tractor oil and gave me a free morning. I will putter a little and read a few books. OP yesterday and I have a plan for today.

Tazzy: I did the same thing with my closet and for the first time donated all the the clothes. It felt terrific to know I was never going back.
    Valer1ie: I admire your food courage. I am such a "Chicken" with exotic food. You and BBE put me to shame. I appreciate your hard stop discussion. I never thought I would be happy in the 150's. A healthy BMI for me at my height is 155. I am large boned and curvy and I am comfortably in a size 8. Husband is thrilled. Says I don't need to lose anymore. Still I nag myself to be in the 140s. But I am letting that go, eating healthy food and see what happens. I think I could let my mind reel on all of this rather than keep on with the business of living.
    Gardenerjoy: So glad you worked past the sticking point. It is unbelievable how my thinking becomes so rigid that I freeze under the perfectionism.
    Pamatga: Thanks for the website. I am going to check it out.
    Lovely: I just noticed you are from New England. Are the colors changing?
    4everlearning: Enjoy Beck. I would love to go to a workshop if she is ever in California.
    Lexxiss: I am thinking about you and this struggle you face.
    BBE: We could harvest your walnuts this week. Everything is late and it is going to rain. What will happen if there is a trail mix scarcity?
  • GD everyone and to October!

Credit
    : I did increase my steps to over 5000 (one day 6400) and did 3 days in a row of 4-10 minute sessions on the treadmill walking from 1.7 mph-2.0 mph.
    Credit myself with being honest and humble enough to say I have more to learn about putting into practice the Beck skills and strategies. Credit: I made a re-commitment for the next 3 months (see details below)to set a precedence for me of not eating my way through the upcoming holidays and to lose 25 lbs besides.

It was a "tough" past five days. I had one restaurant meal per day from Monday-Friday with all the added sodium followed by last night having 1/2 dozen chocolate chip cookies. I weigh myself every day so I changed my ticker to reflect the "ouch-ness" of following through on eating all of those densely caloric meals and subsequent fall-out from them. I discussed this with my DH since he is my willing "partner in crime" and I made a vow to eat out only once a week moving forward. (this is going to be sooooo hard)

I re-injured an old "anterior ligament" tear in my left knee(from years past) on Thursday when I really cranked the treadmill and was practically running to industrial-techno music (that hard driving pulse just made me want to race-those blasted endorphines). Problem is I don't have the body built for that. I awoke early Friday morning in intense pain, took some pain meds) and hobbled around here all day yesterday with my cane. I could barely put weight on my left leg at all. That explains why I was the last one to post for the end of September. Tazzy (when you pop on again) I am going to PM you what I wrote about calorie counting and pedometers since it was "long and winded" like I usually am.

Today, the knee is better. Tomorrow, if it is even better, I walk.

maryann for your sobriety of so many years!! As a recovering food addict, compulsiver overspender and codependent (I call my tri-core addiction) I know how far you have come for that to be a "reality". I could gush for hours here but "I hear ya, I know ya"and just plain WOW!!!

I am going to share the post I wrote earlier on my BLC group verbatim:

**From this day forward I am re-commiting to "get rid of my fat head".**

What does that mean?? It means that not only is there life after dieting but there will be a life of maintaining being a "goal weight, an end weight or normal weight"; whichever term you prefer. I am fortunate that I also belong to a group on another site where there are three-four people who are presently "maintaining" their weight loses-anywhere from 70-100 lbs. One man has maintained his weight lose of 81 lbs for 6 years. I want to be where they are at!! How about you?? How badly do you want to be at your "goal weight, end weight, normal weight?" What are you willing to do to get there? Here's one more quote but an important one.

"If you fail to plan, then we plan to fail."

Every year in the past including last year I have allowed myself to believe that during the holidays it was "open season": to eat foods not on a healthy food plan, to not exercise, to not drink water, to not get a decent night's sleep, to not practice what I usually try to do so I will succeed at [losing weight for good]. I have had the mis-belief that I "deserved time off for good behavior". As if I were a sailor docking from a long journey at sea and I was allowing myself a three month pass to "party hard".

Is this resonating with any one else here?

Well, NO MORE!! My "Personal Challenge" to Pam (although anyone who wants to do this "unofficially" can be my guest) is:

From October 1-January 1:

I am going to:
    1)stay within my recommended calorie range
    2)drink at least 8 cups of H20 each day
    3)move, move, (burn 200 cal per day per BLC recommendation)
    4)no empty calories!---that includes Halloween candy, desserts at Thanksgiving dinners, Christmas cookies and New Year's Eve bubbly.

I also want to raise the bar and lose 25 lbs by the first of the New Year. Every New Year in the past I have started it out by being an average of 10 lbs heavier from all of the holiday "noshing".

This is staring down my "fat head" that says that it is "okay" to over eat and/or eat the wrong kinds of foods that do NOT support my weight lose goals. I am tired of sabotaging all of my hard work at the drop of a hat.

My wake up call came this week when I had one restaurant meal each day from Monday-Friday followed by 1/2 dozen chocolate chip cookies last night and a weight GAIN of 5 lbs all because of my "wrong" belief that since I am now working out harder, I "deserve" to eat more!! WRONG! WRONG!

I dug my own hole and I walked right into it.I am making this public for the accountability to show my mistakes, my intent and my resolve.

Today is a new day and I have "dragons to slay".
  • Hi Everyone,

Good day OP, started with a 60 minute hike with my sister. Weather threatened rain but held off until we got back to our cars. I'm giving myself credit for getting up those hills, it had been a couple of years since I had been to the park we went to. There's a great view of the whole city and mountains in the distance and the colors are starting to change (although apparently they are not too dramatic here as told to me by my DH who is from Ontario originally).

Thanks for the suggestions on the calorie counting, pamatga, BBE and gardenerjoy. I've been on 1500 calories for about 5 months now so am going to try the calorie cycling with the suggested amount on the website link you sent pamatga. I am also going to look into that pedometer as it sounds interesting. Not sure where I can get one in Canada but my parents are going to Arizona for a month in November so could have them pick one up for me.

Tomorrow is Zumba class again, will decide in the morning if the weather is conducive to riding my bike. It's really cooling off here. Looks like some of my zuchinni leaves got some frost last night. Well it had to happen sooner or later.

Have a good night everyone and I'll check in again tomorrow.
  • Just Hi
    Hello Coaches,

I've been lurking as usual, and thought I'd pop in to say hi. I'm committed to my daily Beck skills, and know they keep me on track with my health goals. Your posts inspire me every day.

My garden is about done for the year. I picked the last cantaloupe today, and gathered the last okra. I've canned lots of salsa, and we have enjoyed so many vegetables all season, that hopefully will keep us healthy through the winter. I hope everyone has gotten the chance to have some garden fresh tomatoes. They are wonderful right how, at least here in Colorado.

I can't wait to hear how the Beck session goes. Of all the dieting books I have read, her approach really makes a huge difference for me. I always struggled with 'how do I get myself to do it' thoughts. Her answers seem basic, but they are so powerful.

Take care, coaches, and keep up the great work. Each of you is making a really positive impact on yourself and others when you come to this forum and post about your lives. I really appreciate it.

Woodland
  • Sunday
    Diet Coaches/Buddies - Had sushi for dinner; CREDIT moi because it must be impossible to overeat sushi. Gotta give credit to Home Depot. As much as these big stores bug me, yesterday was an occasion when one of their staff - a retired plumber - carefully explained how to do a better job of what I was planning to do replacing a cutoff valve. I remember that kind of support from the old stores that were put out of business by Home Depot and the other super stores.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Sending emotional support as you face family needs. Yep, exercise helps when stressed.

pamaga – Ouch for five restaurant meals in five days - with Kudos for making a plan for recovery. Love the quote, "If we fail to plan, then we plan to fail."

maryann - Congrats on those 24 years, and Congrats again on making and sticking to a budget. [Kindly ask you DH to be careful when harvesting the walnuts this week - the last bag of 'halves' I bought had three broken ones.]

Tazzy - Your 60 minute hike sounds like much fun - love walking in hills to stress the body while offering a reward for gaining altitude.

Woodland - Kudos for planning, growing, harvesting, and putting up so many veggis for the winter. I remember so fondly as a kid that everybody had shelves of canned stuff.

Lovely – Yay for a lot of exercise - a good start to October.

Val (va1erie) – Waving toward the Beck workshop. Have an enlightening weekend. [This restaurant's portion of brown rice was, maybe, 3x what I'd choose at home, so eating half was more than I needed, but not particularly 'overeating' for my own restaurant allowance.]

Robin (4EverLearning) - Waving toward the Beck workshop (again); hope it meets your expectations. Let us know if she offers any insights on how to be good Diet Coaches/Buddies in an online forum. [All old threads remain available to read. The list of them all is in a sticky thread at the top of this Beck forum, with a pointer to it in the first post of each month,
    http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck...ddy-coach.html ]

Readers -
    Quote:
    chapter 4
    Stage 1 The Success Skills Plan

Success Skill 6 Overcome Hunger, Cravings, and Emotional Eating

experiment 1
    Prove to yourself that you confuse hunger with other states.

True hunger is what you feel when you have fasted for several hours. Your stomach is empty, and you are experiencing hunger pangs. A craving is a physiological and emotionally intense urge to eat. A desire to eat is when you are not particularly hungry, but you just feel like eating. Thirst is marked by a dry feeling in your mouth or throat. When you're upset, stressed, or bored but your stomach isn't empty, you're experiencing a negative emotion - you’re not truly hungry.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg. 73.
  • report: read my cards, weighed (down 1.2), ate slowly and mindfully and left a bite all day, really a day of good eating (yay, me!) considering I spent over four hours in the car and ate every meal in restaurants. Breakfast was a cheese & egg crepe in Carlisle PA and I left almost half, lunch was a bowl of ramen at a Vietnamese noodle shop and I left probably 3/4 the noodles and all the pork (it was too fatty for me) and just had the broth, seaweed, and fishcakes. Dinner was a lobster and avocado salad, had to force myself to leave a bite with that one. Got over 10,000 on my ped because of the tour of Dickinson, contacted my diet buddy.

I'm in Philadelphia with Robin! We head to the Beck workshop in about an hour and a half. I'm already down in the restaurant at the hotel, don't expect her for probably half an hour at least so I decided I'd run my email and post here. The hotel rate for the workshop attendees includes the breakfast buffet. I hate breakfast buffets. I dislike all buffets, really, but I really REALLY don't like breakfast buffets. There's seldom anything on it I want to eat, the food quality is generally low, and there's always that ALCE buffet pressure to "get your money's worth." Fat people order the buffet. And so here I sit thinking, "I could just order off the menu and screw the fact my rate includes free breakfast."

Robin looks GREAT! I never knew her when she was heavy -- she started posting on the other forum's thread after she'd already lost like 70 pounds -- but she is slender and pretty and fit-looking. We had dinner together last night, very fun to finally meet her!

Lovely -- Good for you for avoiding an all-or-nothing mentality. You don't have to plan PERFECTLY this week. You just have to plan better than you did last week. That's always how I set my goals: do better than I did (yesterday/last week/last month.) When I was actively losing, my goal was always "weigh less this month than I did last month."

Robin -- I WANT YOUR COAT! (Robin's got the cutest fire-engine red coat with shirring and ruffles around the hem.)

Debbie -- good for you for not wanting to "eat the problem away." You know you can't; the problem will still be there whether you overeat or not. Best wishes for your sibling-stress.

maryann -- October's my favorite month, too! Fall in Ohio is gorgeous -- clear blue skies, cool temperatures, generally very little rain, and the seasons are changing so the trees are fantastic. Congratulations on 24 years of sobriety, on meeting your exercise goal for three months straight (yay, you!), and on being underbudget! Wow, on donating all your clothes. I'm still too afraid to do that. One of my issues when I'm heavy is that I don't want to spend money on clothes that are in a size I don't want to be. So as I climb the scale and reach each new size I end up in schmatta, which turns me into a near-hermit because I don't want to leave the house looking like that, until I finally give in and buy something, often only because I HAVE to because I have an event I need to attend, anything from parent-teacher conferences to dinner invitations to weddings. So while I totally buy into the idea that donating the larger sizes is one more bit of motivation, it's causes me too much anxiety. Maybe someday I'll get there. Good for you for letting go of nagging yourself -- if you are comfortable and healthy and your hubby is thrilled, you're golden!

Oops, Robin's here, I'll finish later!
  • Coaches:
    Good Day yesterday. I planned for a Little choc. cake I made to celebrate my sobriety date. I learned how to cook dry chickpeas DH got free from our coop. Yum. I planned a menu for the week that includes homemade pasta - In ever made homemade pasta before. I cleaned out TWO closets of C.R.A.P. I love those kinds of day, close to home, full of productivity. It ended with all three of us in our bed watching a chick flick and DS with his drawing pads creating imaginary friends. One day, I will know I have become a good writer if I could ever convey the beauty of such a day.
    Dinner with friends at a big steakhouse. I plan to order double side of vegies and steal 3 oz of DH steak.
    Valerie: How exciting for you. Making connections, further learning at the workshop. I love the periods in my life when things start to be new because I finally let go of the old stuff that doesn't work. You should get a "new" red coat just for the symbolism of it.
    BBE: Isn't it amazing when you run smack into quality somewhere where you least expect to find it? A good customer service rep, a good priest, an honest contractor. They make our journey so much easier.
    Tazzy: credit for being willing to look at the calories. I understand plateau. I plateaued at 165- 170 for about 10 years after getting under 200 pounds. I was just so happy not to be obese anymore I didn't care THAT MUCH I was stuck. Two Augusts ago I found Beck and made a huge discovery - what a stomach feels like when it moderately full. It gets a little concave in the morning and then feels empty. It was the empty that was the most terrifying to me. These days, when I allow myself to be empty - not hungry - light, I lose but I am not always willing to do that. I just continue to re teach myself what healthy feels like.
    Pamatga: I am with you in planning for the holidays. Nothing tastes as good as healthy eating FEELS. When I am OP I can focus on the real joys of the season - family, friends, love.
  • GD everyone

maryann I just think you did convey to us what a beautiful day that was. I have had many days like that but I never appreciated them at the time. It takes sobriety to live in the "Eternal Now".

It sounds like so many of us are in the closet-cleaning mode. I just got finished my most recent one. Val, maybe someday you feel like you can "let go". The last time I did what you were describing was two years ago. I was at my all-time heaviest. I bought close to $1000 in fall/winter clothes because I was going to prepare taxes for HRB and I needed some "professional" clothes. I too cancelled a lot of social outings simply because I hated how I looked, how I felt how I looked, and you know the rest.

I am so glad that I gave away all of my fat clothes, some of which I never even wore because when I tried them on, I hated how I looked in them. I mean, how can a 300 lb woman look professional in a two piece business suit? Yuck! I looked like Boxcar Willie. The only thing I got compliments on was my hairstyle.

Well, fast forward. I still have a long way to go from where I want to end up but at least now I have a recognizable female figure, thanks to all the toning I have been doing this past summer. I don't feel like hiding out any more. In fact, if it weren't so hard for me to get around physically, I would be outdoors enjoying the beginning of our long and beautiful fall season now here.I have signed up for more social activities at our church besides my standing Friday night Bible study. I don't feel as self-conscious about "having let myself go". In fact, now I feel like I want others to see all the hard work I have done this past summer.

My late fall goal is to be able to take a long walk outdoors on Thanksgiving Day.

Hope you and Robin are enjoying your weekend together. We all are anxious to hear how things went for you two. I agree with maryann--get yourself a red trench coat. If I were where you are I would drag you out and take you shopping. You would not return empty-handed. I know I would. I spent three hours online Friday night looking at shoes--glorious shoes---that I want to buy. I told my DH "If only I were an octopus!! I need more feet!"

Stats for 10/1:
    **1677 calories 26 g fiber 3029 mg sodium
    ***no weight-bearing exercises due to re-injury of left knee [treating w NSAIDs]
    **F/V:lite grape cranberry juice, red grapes, raisins, v-8 juice, raw carrots
    **no empty calories(includes no added sugar)

Day 1 of my new "Personal Self Challenge". 91 to go until January 1st.
  • Later check in tonight for me. Some days I decide that everyone in my house spends too much time staring at screens so at 2pm today I implemented "no screen time". That takes in computers, laptops, TV's, video games and iphones. Not always popular but it did get all of us outside for a couple of hours and the kids and I enjoyed a badminton game. We won't get many more nice days like this so it's best to take advantage of them.

Got to Zumba this morning, did end up driving as it was only 2C (about 34F) plus my calf muscles are really hurting after yesterday's hike and I knew after Zumba class that riding my bike uphill would really push it and I had more things I wanted to do today. So still credit for going to the class.

Weighed this morning and am still the same. Trying the calorie cycling this week to see if that helps. I'm also going to give myself a challenge for October and that will be the to get 930 minutes of exercise this month. I know my Zumba classes count for 60 at least so that will be a good start, I also want to get away from my desk during the day for at least a 15 minute walk around the block.

I'm going to go and figure out how to add that ticker on my signature now. Enjoy what's left of the weekend.