Kirstie Alley: size 4???

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Hey, it was fantastic to see the weight Kirstie Alley lost on the last season of Dancing with the Stars (who wants to bet that IF, and it could be a big IF, Chaz Bono gets that far he'll be leaner 'n' meaner too?). But size 4 ??? Linky:

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrityn...size-4-2011179
  • This seems less about Kirstie Alley specifically and more about how obnoxious vanity sizing is for finding clothes. (Which we've seen discussed around the forums before!)

Kirstie looks fantastic, and good for her for losing the weight!

About vanity sizing, though... couldn't agree more with Tim Gunn, it's gotten to be ridiculous. He wasn't trying to insult her, but rather discuss sizes of clothing. He's Tim Gunn, after all. That's what he does! Clothes!

And he even says:

Quote:
    "But she looks fabulous," he added. "People are too size conscious."
    That's the meat of it for me.
  • Quote: Hey, it was fantastic to see the weight Kirstie Alley lost on the last season of Dancing with the Stars (who wants to bet that IF, and it could be a big IF, Chaz Bono gets that far he'll be leaner 'n' meaner too?). But size 4 ??? Linky:

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrityn...size-4-2011179
    She totally could be! At old navy, the gap etc. However, in a designer label? I doubt it.

I like the following links and find them pretty interesting. But basically each label has to design its close to its customer so it's not surprising that a 4 at Old Navy is vastly different than at Marc Jacbos.

http://www.fashion-incubator.com/arc...vanity_sizing/
    http://www.fashion-incubator.com/arc...izing_entropy/
  • Quote: About vanity sizing, though... couldn't agree more with Tim Gunn, it's gotten to be ridiculous. He wasn't trying to insult her, but rather discuss sizes of clothing. He's Tim Gunn, after all. That's what he does! Clothes!

And he even says:

That's the meat of it for me.
    Yep to this. She DOES look fabulous (nobody is denying that!) but the whole sizing system is very, very messed up. I still can't say it enough but manufacturers should just publish the measurement range of a given item and go from there. They could call it a size rainbow for all I care but tell us who it's supposed to fit, please!

Oh, and another thing, I'm pretty sure the size 8 that Tim Gunn typically deals with is very different than the standard size 8 that most people can afford.

ETA: in the comments people are saying she wears something like an 8-10, well, not in the stores I shop in (cheaper ones at the moment). I've pretty squarely in a size 10 there with some 12's still and I'd say she looks smaller than me.
  • she looks great but is no way a true size 4...i dont know how she thinks people believe that. Like hello...we have eyes
  • Please be careful to follow this:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/gene...er-celebs.html
  • the size 4 made me raise an eyebrow, but yeah, she looks great and who cares about the number?

And the other thing I love about her is that just like so many of us here, she doesn't give up even when she gains weight back. I hope that this is the time that sticks permanently for her! (and I hope the same thing for me and for all of the chicks who are doing this again!!)
  • Congrats to her for her weight loss achievement!

As far as sizing- I typically shop at thrift stores, not only because I'm still losing weight, but because I'm frugal like that, and have found on any given day that I can wear clothing ranging from size 4 to size 14, but I generally am mostly in size 6-8 skirts these days (don't wear pants). Even with the same brand I wear different sizes depending on the cut and style of the skirt or dress. There is no consistency, and it's very frustrating at times.
  • Let's face it. So many of us are ruled by the media, the fashion police, the designers, and the scale. How many of us have fit into a small size (even if it was the only time) and then told others, or ourselves, "I am a size so and so", even if that piece of clothing is the only one in that size that we can wear?

I love the fact that Kirstie keeps trying. She is 60 y/o. A lot of women would have just given up. She has a very public battle with her weight and everyone has an opinion, one way or the other. I think she looks terrific and I hope that she is able to keep it off this time. The yo-yoing is exhausting and expensive!!
  • she looks great for 60.. she claims no plastic surgery, so she really does look amazing if she really hasn't had any work done. although I think most of it is to promote her line of products.

would be interesting if Chaz loses weight...I was wondering if he's keeping the weight on as a choice to go more with his look... maybe the feminine features would start to show if he lost weight. I think the weight might limit his dancing. Hope he has a fair chance on the show either way.
  • I think Kirstie looks awesome, sizes be damned. We tend to focus on numbers (both in clothing sizes and on the scale) too much because they are such a convenient way to quantify ourselves. Convenient and so often misleading.

The mirror is the only measuring stick that matters in the end.
  • My only issue with Kirstie is that she is hawking her own diet line, which did NOT work for her. She was not successful with Jennie Craig for too long, and she was not successful with her own products. When she joined Dancing with the Stars, she lost weight by the exercise and not being able to eat the way she was all day long caused by the grueling practice schedule of the show. I find it unscrupulous that she is now promoting her food line .... when the world knows better. Same thing with Marie Osmond and Nutrisystem....She lost the weight on DWTS and got a contract for Nutrisystem. We don't know about Jennifer Hudson either as there have been rumors she had gastric bypass and if you look that up there's more than enough speculation that WW is using her as their spokesmodel but there may have been more to it than just WW in her weightloss.

If we all had access to personal trainers, personal chefs, and 8 hours a day to spend at the gym or in physically demanding "jobs" we'd all be gorgeously thin and in shape too.

Getting back to the topic, Kirstie looks good, but that's no size 4 dress...unless she's 20 feet tall.
  • Who cares what size she is? She looks great and she's a living testament that weight loss is HARD, but it can be done.

And as we all know, different plans work for different people. No one knows what Marie Osmand and Kirstie Alley ate while they were on DWTS. My baby sister had a ridiculous schedule and she relied on Nutrisystem for her food for a while - she lost 80 lbs (with no exercise). It might have just been convenient.

Eitherway, hateful accusations don't help anyone. Just think of how you'd feel if someone discounted your weight loss as "oh, she just had a gastric bypass." So what if she did? WW may be helping her KEEP the weight off, which is a common issue that those who've had gastric bypass go through.

Let's all be nice!
  • Quote: Eitherway, hateful accusations don't help anyone. Just think of how you'd feel if someone discounted your weight loss as "oh, she just had a gastric bypass." So what if she did? WW may be helping her KEEP the weight off, which is a common issue that those who've had gastric bypass go through.

Let's all be nice!
    ITA. I've had my weight loss minimized as "just baby weight", umm... 3 years later! So, yeah, I don't appreciate others doing it either. I have a friend whose had weight loss surgery. She's kept off the weight and that's a HUGE achievement. You even see some people pop up on the biggest loser who had weight loss surgery and ended up gaining it back so keeping it off IS a big deal no matter how they got there.
  • Quote: Who cares what size she is? She looks great and she's a living testament that weight loss is HARD, but it can be done.

And as we all know, different plans work for different people. No one knows what Marie Osmand and Kirstie Alley ate while they were on DWTS. My baby sister had a ridiculous schedule and she relied on Nutrisystem for her food for a while - she lost 80 lbs (with no exercise). It might have just been convenient.

Eitherway, hateful accusations don't help anyone. Just think of how you'd feel if someone discounted your weight loss as "oh, she just had a gastric bypass." So what if she did? WW may be helping her KEEP the weight off, which is a common issue that those who've had gastric bypass go through.

Let's all be nice!
    The potential problem comes from a celebrity marketing and endorsing a particular weight loss plan when he/she may have lost it through other methods- and doesn't disclose that fact. If Jennifer Hudson lost weight through gastric bypass, that's fantastic. But as a spokesperson for weight watchers, she is implying that WW is how she lost her weight. It's not fair representation. I think that's the rub.