Chayote Squash - Can we eat it on phase I?

• Hello,

I recently discovered a new vegetable, I just discovered its name and it's Chayote Squash. I attached a picture of it and would like to know if anyone has used it in Phase I, is it a restricted vegetable or not and if possible, some recipe with it.

I found this for the nutritional value:

Serving Size: 132g
    Calories 25
    Calories from Fat 0
    Total Fat 0, 0%
    Cholesterol 0mg, 0%
    Sodium 3mg, 0%
    Total Carbohydrate 6g, 2%
    Dietary Fiber 2g, 9%
    Sugars 2g
    Protein 1g
    Vitamin A 0%
    Vitamin C 17%
    Calcium 2%

Thanks for your replies.

• Quote: Hello,

I recently discovered a new vegetable, I just discovered its name and it's Chayote Squash. I attached a picture of it and would like to know if anyone has used it in Phase I, is it a restricted vegetable or not and if possible, some recipe with it.

I found this for the nutritional value:

Serving Size: 132g
    Calories 25
    Calories from Fat 0
    Total Fat 0, 0%
    Cholesterol 0mg, 0%
    Sodium 3mg, 0%
    Total Carbohydrate 6g, 2%
    Dietary Fiber 2g, 9%
    Sugars 2g
    Protein 1g
    Vitamin A 0%
    Vitamin C 17%
    Calcium 2%

Thanks for your replies.
    Well I googled it and it says it is a summer squash but I am not sure, I would ask my coach to be on the safe side. I will try and remember next monday for you. there is a list of summer squash under Cook's thesaurus, and it has been said we can have summer squash and not winter squash but I would ask my coach first... sorry can't help.
  • I just text my coach to find out....I'll let you know what she says
  • My coach just text me back and said it was fine since it was a summer squash just to stay away from the winter squash because they are so carby! hope this helps
  • It's comparable to zucchini and yellow squash or other "summer squashes" and my coach said yes to those kind.
  • Thank you everyone for your answers!

I will continue eating it, it's yummy.
  • Quote: Thank you everyone for your answers!

I will continue eating it, it's yummy.
    How do you eat it? how do you make it? need a new veg idea.
  • I made this tonight for dinner with the help of an adapted recipe from allrecipes.com... Over all 4 stars out of 5. It was a nice change!

1 Chayote Squash
    1 tbsp EVOO
    1 clove minced garlic
    Sea salt to taste
    Pepper to taste
    1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
    1 tsp Apple cider vinegar
    dash of splenda
    (sorry for mixed up ingredients...trying to remember off the top of my head)

Cut chayote into 1/4 inch slices. (I cut mine to easily measure to stay within 2 cups)
    Heat EVO in med pan. When hot, add all ingredients BUT vinegar. Cook 2-3 minutes. Add vinegar and simmer until squash is wrinkly looking but still firm.
  • Chayote is really good in soups in place of potatoes.