Medical Student and Newly Wed

• Hi everyone,

I am brand new to this forum and hoping I can finally lose this extra weight once and for all!

For me my weight has been a problem my whole life. I was heavy from middle school onwards. Would lose 15 pounds here and there but gain it all back (and then some!) each time! When my husband and I starting dating I was my heaviest at 242 and lost about 20 pounds from picking up some of his eating habbits. At one point I joined medical weight loss clinic and got down to 188 pounds (my lowest since high school!). However, I soon found myself losing control and now I am at my new highest: 258 pounds

Life is stressful, being a newly wed and a first year medical student. But I know I have to lose this weight once and for all. The other day it finally hit me: I have 100 pounds I need to lose. Such a big number! I am afraid I won't be able to do it but I know I have to try!
  • Manders31, cong!ratulations on the wedding! Med school must be an absolute drain on every aspect of your life. I would imagine eating healthy would be difficult with all the crazy hours. Please whatever you do, do not look at the amount of weight you need to lose in it's entirety. You have to break it down into alot of small goals, otherwise you will become overwhelmed at the task ahead. You need no more overwhelming as you have a lot on your plate. Stick with it and 3fatchicks, there are such wonderful and kind people ready with plenty of encouragement and good advise. Can't wait to see your progress
  • Welcome.
  • Quote: Manders31, cong!ratulations on the wedding! Med school must be an absolute drain on every aspect of your life. I would imagine eating healthy would be difficult with all the crazy hours. Please whatever you do, do not look at the amount of weight you need to lose in it's entirety. You have to break it down into alot of small goals, otherwise you will become overwhelmed at the task ahead. You need no more overwhelming as you have a lot on your plate. Stick with it and 3fatchicks, there are such wonderful and kind people ready with plenty of encouragement and good advise. Can't wait to see your progress
    Thank you so much I have to work on setting up my mini goals in the next couple days!
  • Welcome. I hate those big round numbers... nothing can demotivate you like saying "I need to lose xxx pounds". Just tackle it easier to swallow bits. Tell yourself you'll lose 8 lbs by Halloween, another 6 by Thanksgiving and still another 6 by New Year's Eve.

Picking goals that seem doable makes a huge difference.

Good luck with your weight loss, your newly minted marriage AND your first year of med school!
  • Hi, I see this is an old post, but figured I'd see if anyone's still around. I searched fat med student because that describes me and I've been feeling really awful lately and wanted someone else's perspective or at least just know I'm not alone. I am by far the heaviest in my class and I just constantly feel bad about myself and have confidence issues. Anyways just needed to get that out there.
  • Quote: Hi, I see this is an old post, but figured I'd see if anyone's still around. I searched fat med student because that describes me and I've been feeling really awful lately and wanted someone else's perspective or at least just know I'm not alone. I am by far the heaviest in my class and I just constantly feel bad about myself and have confidence issues. Anyways just needed to get that out there.
    I know this isnt exactly the same, but I was one of the heaviest (not even being obese too which is sad..) in all my classes (i'm in kinesiology so everyone there had a rocking body except me). It made me feel terrible; all day everyday we learned about how exercise is so beneficial, how eating healthy is important, all the girls next to me looked amazing and there I was trying to tuck my fat away in huge baggy clothes. I felt gross, I looked gross, and I just wanted to stay home. That was why I needed the change.. I wanted to be one of the healthy ones in my class, i felt proud walking into class eating an apple and going for a run before or after class. If you still dont look the way you feel, just know that you're one step closer each time you do something positive for your body.
  • Quote: Hi everyone,

I am brand new to this forum and hoping I can finally lose this extra weight once and for all!

For me my weight has been a problem my whole life. I was heavy from middle school onwards. Would lose 15 pounds here and there but gain it all back (and then some!) each time! When my husband and I starting dating I was my heaviest at 242 and lost about 20 pounds from picking up some of his eating habbits. At one point I joined medical weight loss clinic and got down to 188 pounds (my lowest since high school!). However, I soon found myself losing control and now I am at my new highest: 258 pounds

Life is stressful, being a newly wed and a first year medical student. But I know I have to lose this weight once and for all. The other day it finally hit me: I have 100 pounds I need to lose. Such a big number! I am afraid I won't be able to do it but I know I have to try!
    You certainly have a LOT on your plate. All I can say is good luck to you. I'm studying to become a Physician's Assistant. At age 50 I was too old for med school.
  • Thanks for replying that makes me feel better to know someone else was in a similar situation. I am really trying this summer to get into better shape so next school year I won't feel so bad all the time about how I look and I can feel better about myself and like I actually do belong there.
  • Welcome and good luck!!
  • Being a med student
    Hi there,

I'm also new to this forum, but I was once in your shoes. I was a stressed out medical student who eventually lost 83-lb during med school. At that time I stuck to the South Beach Diet religously, exercised daily, and reached my goal. I maintained my goal about 4 years. However, I was bad in residency--all those late night shifts and q4 calls, plus free unhealthy conference food caught up with me. I no longer had time to cook all the healthy homemade food that I needed to, and eating whatever and whever in the hospital soon added up, so I gained back about 30 lb in residency, which I'm now trying lose before I start fellowship. It has been a challenge... I keep saying to myself that if I exercise 1hr a day, that's only 1/24 (= 4% of my day), but I am sooo tired sometimes when I get home. I will not give up though!
    My advice to you is to work on managing stress and good eating habits early. When you are in med school, you may think it is the hardest work you have ever done, but the reality fromhere on out it won't get easier, especially as you go thru residency and fellowship. Make sure you have a good support network at home and with your peers. Try cooking big meals and freezing single-serve portions, you will save money and also save time. Also be careful with all the extra calories in your coffee (lattes, cream, and sugar), which can become a study habit if you're not careful. Try to make some time for exercise daily. I know and feel how some days you can be so stressed/tired, but even to do 20-30min on those days will help keep you motivated.
    Good luck from the other side
  • One more thing...
    The other thing that really helps and I forgot to add (sorry, it's 5am on a Saturday and I'm in the hopsital...) is to get your spouse involved in not just supporting you but also working as a team to lose weight and/or eat healthy. It's always more difficult if 1 person is trying to eat healthy while the other one is doing an all-you-can-eat buffet. Try to work together and try new things as a team. Make 1 healthy change every week, so it doen't overwhelm him/her.