Staving off a heart attack...

• Hi there. I'm 35 and have a family that has a long history of early heart attacks (my grandfather died at 51, my father almost did at 40). Given my BMI puts me at obese, I'm realizing I have to figure out some other strategy that will allow me to do more than the past 6 months in which I've essentially been just losing and then gaining the same 5 pounds.
    I saw a lot of people that have mini goals on here, which I thought was a great idea! My goal is going to be a healthy 10 pounds each month; and exercising 5 days per week for at least 30 minutes each. I hate that I don't even fit into large clothes anymore, and I refuse to buy an XL winter jacket, so that should also get me into a L before winter! I will be giving myself 1 for every 10 lbs lost.
    Good luck to all of you as well!
  • i know what you mean there is high blood pressure in my family on one side and the women on the other side after a certain age all devloped diabetes so it is really important for me to actually do it this time. i dont have a time frame for these mini goals i just has a wish list. for every stone gone i get something on my wish list and the wish gets bigger as i get smaller
  • Quote: Hi there. I'm 35 and have a family that has a long history of early heart attacks (my grandfather died at 51, my father almost did at 40). Given my BMI puts me at obese, I'm realizing I have to figure out some other strategy that will allow me to do more than the past 6 months in which I've essentially been just losing and then gaining the same 5 pounds.
    I saw a lot of people that have mini goals on here, which I thought was a great idea! My goal is going to be a healthy 10 pounds each month; and exercising 5 days per week for at least 30 minutes each. I hate that I don't even fit into large clothes anymore, and I refuse to buy an XL winter jacket, so that should also get me into a L before winter! I will be giving myself 1 for every 10 lbs lost.
    Good luck to all of you as well!
    Welcome, I'm 35 too & have decided to do something! It's exciting, and scary at the same time.
  • Welcome to the forum. I have the same fear of suffering a heart attack at a young age. Heart disease also runs in my family. My dad died at 52. Yikes, I am not too far from that and know I need to make changes now.
    My only word of caution to you is setting a goal of 10 lbs a month is quite aggressive, I am not saying it is not doable but it will take a lot of work to lose a consistent 2 lbs a week. If you are not losing at this rate, do NOT let it be a reason for you to give up.
    Best of luck to you!