Inconsistent sizing, vanity sizing, between sizes, ARG!

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Is it just me, or are clothing manufacturers just plain evil?

I don't know if I'm between sizes or what. Old Navy size 4 jeans fall off of me, but size 2 squeeze me so tight I can't breathe. Other brands in size 4 are often too tight, too. Some size 6s are too tight, others are too big. It's almost impossible to find pants/jeans that fit me right.

It's frustrating...
  • It really just depends on the brand. I would say just find a brand that works for you and just stick with it. I wear this brand from Jcpenney's and it never lets me down but I also don't mind spending hours and hours shopping.
  • I think my most extreme example is:

A pair of size 4 jeans from Ann Taylor which literally fall off me
    A par of size 10 jeans from Marks and Spencer which I can barely, barely, barely get on and waddle in when I wear them (only around the house, I can't wear them out yet)

Ridiculous!
  • OMgoodness..Ann Taylor's sizes are completely HUGE! Wth? Last year when I was my smallest I tried on a size 2 there and the skirt fell to the floor. Yeah, right!
  • Yes, clothing manufacturers are just plain evil! LOL!

I get really annoyed too when I can't fit into my "normal" size at some places, but then when I can fit a size smaller at others, it makes me happy. Oh well, what are you gonna do. Just have to take the time and go through millions of pieces to find those that fit best and not worry too much about the number on the tag.
  • It's extremely frustrating! I postd this before: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/look...surements.html and there's a link to a great article in it. It's for somewhat larger sizes than you wear but it's definitely still interesting to see the range of measurements for someone who refers to themsevles as a 10 or a 12.

What I keep saying is that manufacturers just need to list the basic measurements on clothes!!! The problem is, is that for most places the size charts are very, very off. According to Old Navy's measurements I should wear between a 12-14 and almost be wearing an XL by my bust size. However, I have M shirts there at are too big for me!!! I don't care what the number says but please at least match your size chart. I'd much rather pants be sold as 28"waist 38"hip than by some arbitrary number 8. Then I could at least order online and not have to return anything.

Now, different manufacturers do have the right to pick their own set of measurements to cater to their audience. Some lines fit curvy women better, others might work better on a pear shape. If they'd just list their measurements straight up women would know where to shop and actually probably would have a lot more brand loyalty (and would order online more which would save them money in the long run!!!!).
  • I think another point to be made is the way people wear their clothes. I've seen people busting out of xl clothes insisting that was the size they wear or the way that they should fit. Someone actually asked me why I wear my clothes too big.

I know a lot depends on the style or cut, but some people believe that all their clothes should be clingy, while others don't think that their clothes should cling to them at all.
  • Quote: I think another point to be made is the way people wear their clothes. I've seen people busting out of xl clothes insisting that was the size they wear or the way that they should fit. Someone actually asked me why I wear my clothes too big.

I know a lot depends on the style or cut, but some people believe that all their clothes should be clingy, while others don't think that their clothes should cling to them at all.
    That's a good point. I tend to wear my clothes baggy. I know it looks horrible on me (and makes me look bigger than I am), but I got into that habit when I started gaining weight (thought the baggy stuff would hide the flab). Now, I'm just used to it, because it feels more comfortable.
  • I was people watching in Central Park today as I had time to kill between two work appointments. I was surprised at how many women were wearing shorts and jeans that seemed either two sizes too large to two sizes too big. I can't see how either would be comfortable, but I guess people don't like buying new sizes when their weight shifts.

I agree Ann Taylor has some serious sizing issues. Back when I was at my goal weight I did all my shopping around 5th Ave or while on vacation on Miami as size O's were guaranteed to be in stock everywhere. Now, it is almost a little sad when I go to the Gap and there are piles of jeans in my size.
  • I love Lucky Brand jeans! I seem to be able to wear the same size in all cuts. I can order on ebay and not try them on because they tend to be consistent. I like that they size according to waist measurements.
  • Agree about Lucky Jeans..LOVE Them.
  • Oh man... the size thing. Drives me crazy too. The other day I was trying on clothes and a size 2 pants were too baggy... and I am NOT, nor have I ever been, nor will I ever be, a size 2. I am typically a 4 in dress slacks/skirts/dresses, and a 6 in jeans.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if clothes sizes were universal? Sigh.
  • indiemom is so right. In the US sizes I am smaller than a 6 but size 4 is too tight especially around the lower half of my pear shaped body. A UK Top Shop size 10 fits the same as a US 6. So the difference in countries is a headache when I want my British cuz to my me clothes.

Back in the US, Old Navy really needs to sort out its clothing sizes. I am and never will be an extra small, but thanks to Old Navy I have several shirts that say that. Gap and Old Navy size 4 jeans also fit. As a matter of fact, I have a size 4 Gap skirt that drops off me when fully zipped.

It is all a headache I tell you
  • I was just in Gap yesterday and shocked that size 4 jeans fit almost too loosely. In American Eagle I wear a loose 6 and New York and Company a 4 fits perfectly. It would be so much easier to shop if all stores went by the same measurements!
  • The jeans that I buy are numbered starting with 24 (I believe that is a size 0) and goes up to size 32. Before I lost weight I was a size 28 and now I am a size 26 in most. Some, depending, on the brand, I still have to buy 28's if it is a different cut like skinny jeans or a "skinny" fit.

Clothing sizes varies a lot by the different manufacturers and brands. That's why I stick to just 2-3 brands that I are my absolute favorites.

I believe I am in between sizes for dresses now and I have always been. I use to have to buy a size 10 because my breasts never fits in an 8. I bought a dress yesterday in a size 4 but I have to go get it taken out a little in the breast area. Manufacturers makes clothing without people who have curves in mind.