0 Calorie Spray Butter info!

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • Quote: I'd be curious to know what this is made of
    I did some googling (and have also been reading/watching a lot of Michael Pollan's and Steve Ettlinger's stuff). Also reading whatisthatingredient website... a great source of info. Note this is posted without comment, for information only... in response to the above comment...and is based solely on what I am finding by googling.

According to what I see -- ingredients are:

Water
    Soybean oil
    Extra virgin olive oil
    Salt
    Sweet cream buttermilk

xantham gum - per ehow it is a polysaccharide made of several sugars.... made "by fermenting glucose from corn"

soy lecithin - "a yellowy biproduct of the process of producing soybeans into soybean oil...After Soybeans are pressed to extract the oil, soy lecithin and the beans natural fibers are left. A second pressing can produce the yellowish paste that is soy lecithin or it can be chemically removed from the mash as well."

polysorbate 60 - (Steve Ettlinger) "a gooey mix made of corn, palm oil and petroleum that can't spoil and now replaces dairy products in Twinkies and other processed foods." Known to cause cancer and endocrine disruption.

lactic acid (potassium sorbate) - "a colorless salt manufactured from sorbic acid and potassium hydroxide. Potassium hydroxide predominantly comes from the ashes of wood, neutralized with sorbic acid... to make Potassium hydroxide: Take wood ashes and leach the ashes to make potassium carbonate"

calcium disodium EDTA - Calcium Disodium may sound like a salt, but it is not, the proper name is the EDTA which is short for Ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid (we will not even try to tell you how to pronounce that). It is made from a concoction of poisons and chelation chemicals.... Calcium Disodium is often used as a drug to stop lead poisoning or to treat someone exposed to radioactivity. It causes your body to expell heavy metals.

sodium benzoate - wisegeek site - "Sodium benzoate is a sodium salt that occurring naturally in some foods, but is also widely used as a chemical preservative. It is used mainly as a food preservative, but is also found in cosmetics, dyes, pharmaceuticals, industrial settings....Besides its use as a preservative in food, sodium benzoate is used in cosmetic products like mouthwash, toothpaste, deodorant, lotion, and shampoo. This is usually done to keep bacteria from growing in the products. It's also used in medicinal syrups, ointments, and pills. Industrially, sodium benzoate acts as a corrosion inhibitor, and is used to keep many different types of metals from rusting. It's commonly used in metal cans containing liquid foods or household cleaners, manufacturing machinery that is exposed to moisture, and in vehicle engines.

artificial flavor - whatisthat ingredient - "A flavor that has been created by a flavor company that contains at least 1 artificial chemical. The US Federal Drug Agnecy does not require that flavor companies disclose ingredients as long as all the ingredients are considered "Generally Regarded as Safe."...A single natural or artificial flavor can contain many different ingredients; e.g. the artficial "strawberry" flavor contains 49 ingredients, most of which are difficult-to-pronounce chemical compounds."

vitamin A palmitate - ehow - "Vitamin A palmitate is a synthetic version of the vitamin A that occurs naturally in animal food sources. It was developed to fortify low-fat and fat-free dairy products, whose natural vitamin A has been stripped away in the fat-removal process. Palmitate originates in palm oil but undergoes so many chemical changes that the result can barely be called a derivative of the oil."

beta carotene - from mayoclinic site - "Beta-carotene is a member of the carotenoids, which are highly pigmented (red, orange, yellow), fat-soluble compounds naturally present in many fruits, grains, oils, and vegetables.... Commercially available beta-carotene is produced synthetically or from palm oil, algae, or fungi."
  • It's also awesome on air popped popcorn!
    Thanks for the info- I guess I was also naive in thinking it was truly 0 calories not matter how many sprays. Will I stop using it.... no I don't think so
  • hmm thanks, good to know as I use way more than 12 sprays LOL. Still better than real butter though!
  • After reading the ingredients list Misti provided above I don't know if I can use it anymore...don't they say if you can't pronounce it, don't eat it??
  • Quote: After reading the ingredients list Misti provided above I don't know if I can use it anymore...don't they say if you can't pronounce it, don't eat it??
    You can bet it won't be on MY shopping list!!!!
  • I discovered this a while back, also. It applies equally to spray canola oil and olive oil, ie Pam. Neither of these things are calorie free or fat free. It is a loophole in the labeling laws allowed by our government. They intentionally set the serving size as low as possible making the calories under 5. Who uses 1/3 of a second spray of Pam?? Not many people. The truth is that it is oil and that if you spray longer or more times than the serving you are getting both fat and calories. Shame on our government for allowing them to print misleading facts on the front of the packaging. I believe many people are deceived by the zero calories per serving printed on the front of the package. I have seen some open up the lid and pour it on. It is as caloric as regular butter when you pour it on by the tablespoon.
  • Thats true, although I have poured it out when it gets to the end and won't spray! Now I know...
  • I love this stuff. The calories are still lower and it helps me out.