low carb/too low cal?

• Hey everyone,
    The longer I'm doing low carb, the less it seems like I'm eating. I just don't get hungry like I used to, and it's getting difficult for me to even hit 1000 cal/day. My carbs have been around 25-40/day. I have dieted before (not low carb) and tried to lose weight with calories around 1000, and could not lose weight for the life of me (had to increase to 1200+) - my question is, should I eat even when I'm not hungry to try to boost my calories? Any suggestions?
  • Been there done that.Follow some diet plan. Try 17 Day Diet.It is helping me.
  • I've been there. I consciously tried to increase my calories and eventually my hunger caught up. I think the higher level of calories you can lose on the better. :/
  • How far are you into your low-carb diet?

What happens with low-carb is you have lower levels of insulin floating around because of the LC. That means reduced hunger signals. A lot of people on LC lose what they know as their 'appetite' - but hunger signals end up taking another form for lots, that fatigued and tired feeling. If you start feeling like you're hitting a wall - go eat. That's your new hunger bell for now.

Over time people typically regain their hunger, there is just a period between week 1 and say, 4 that hunger is totally surpressed.

Only suggestion I have is to eat higher-cal foods when you do eat - make sure your fat intake is nice and high. Munch on nuts to get the calories without the bulk. Your body WILL stop losing if you continue to underfeed it as it tries to hang on to its resources.
  • Thanks everyone for the advice! @abluvion - nuts are a great idea, and we'll see if my 'appetite' picks up in another couple weeks.