Splenda replacement?

• Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone knows a good Splenda replacement? I have PCOS and it seems SBD would be a great diet for me to go on to help lose weight but Splenda and I just do NOT get along. It always gives me incredibly bad headaches and leaves a bad taste in my mouth, even in the smallest amounts. My mom has the same issue, and I'm not sure if using Equal or some other sub for sugar would work..

Thanks ahead of time!
  • Stevia? It's a natural sweetener from a plant. Not sure if that works for SBD though.
  • Stevia is fine for SBD, as is erythritol, which is marketed as Truvia.
  • I love Agave syrup. It comes in light or dark amber. I started using it in my coffee (which was an acquired taste) to stop using so much splenda. I ended up loving it. I use it or raw honey in the place of sugar as much as I can. It's much more natural
  • Quote: I love Agave syrup. It comes in light or dark amber. I started using it in my coffee (which was an acquired taste) to stop using so much splenda. I ended up loving it. I use it or raw honey in the place of sugar as much as I can. It's much more natural
    Thanks for the replies all.

Sheramama, what is the ratio for using agave as a sweetener sub? I've had it before, but not as a part of regular cooking.

Does anyone know if Equal is SBD safe? I know I can safely use that and not get the headaches/sourness that comes with Splenda.

• Agave nectar is similar in sweetness to honey. When using it, I use about 1/3 less than if I were using a similar sweetener. Keep in mind, though, that agave is not a low calorie food. It contains 60 calories per tablespoon.

Equal is OK to use for South Beach.
  • Quote: Agave nectar is similar in sweetness to honey. When using it, I use about 1/3 less than if I were using a similar sweetener. Keep in mind, though, that agave is not a low calorie food. It contains 60 calories per tablespoon.

Equal is OK to use for South Beach.
    Ah alright. Thank you Cottage!!
  • another thumbs up on Truvia here..for me it's a much safer bet than Splenda...

one thought I wanted to share though...not many people know but Truvia actually contains MSG..could also cause bloat and headaches but hasn't for me yet...I try to limit my use of it though--two teaspoons daily
  • I always use Agave to taste
  • Stevia! They sell them in individual packets, and they go great with fruit. Although they do make coffee taste a bit off. But otherwise great for cooking.. and totally natural!
  • Quote: Stevia! They sell them in individual packets, and they go great with fruit. Although they do make coffee taste a bit off. But otherwise great for cooking.. and totally natural!
    I love stevia, too.
    I get mine at the health food store or the natural foods section of the grocery store. I wasn't as happy with truvia because of the erythritol.

I never noticed an aftertaste, but it could be my aging taste buds. LOL
  • Thank you for the replies all I just went ahead with store-brand version of Equal. I'd love to try Stevia or some other replacement, or even agave (since I know I like agave) but it's not really in my budget to do so Maybe once we get to bringing more money in and this runs out I can make the switch to something else. It's good to know what options are out there though and I'm really thankful for the hints. Makes SBD seem a little less daunting in that department!