what to do when you're sick....

• I was just wondering...what can I do this week in regards to my weight loss....I have a horrible cold and it's in my chest too so I don't really feel up to walking like normal or doing anything really. I don't have an appetite either my throat hurts really bad. Should I just take a break and start back walking when it's gone, or is there anything I should be doing now? (I walked Saturday when it was mainly in my sinuses but my chest is congested now too and coughing up phlem)

In regards to my lack of appetite due to being sick, do I force myself to eat so my metabolism doesn't just slow down and I start gaining when I feel better?
  • Rest. Fluids. Your metabolism won't slow down over a few days, but you should still try to eat a bit to give your body the energy it needs to heal. You may see the scale go up a little when you are back on full eating just because you had less food traveling through your system for a few days. Hope you feel better soon!

Btw the advice I have heard is if you're only sick above the neck, go ahead and keep exercising. Otherwise, take a break.
  • I like what the above poster said. Also, get some Emergen C. I always workout when I'm feeling a little under, but not if my appetite is poor. This is only bc it takes a LOT to make me feel to bad to eat! LOL!

qoute from Julianna77
    Quote:
    You may see the scale go up a little when you are back on full eating just because you had less food traveling through your system for a few days.
    I've found this to be true. I always gain a bit after being sick, whether I ate well or not. So don't be discouraged. Hope you're better soon
  • My opinion is that it's silly to exercise when your body is fighting an infection, and that's what a cold is. You need those calories to repair the damage and keep your immune system going. Why add more stress by exercising while sick?

There's a reason why chicken soup is a "universal cure"--it's healthy and supplies needed nutrients. It is also not particularly fattening!

Take care of yourself.
    Jay
  • Quote:
    Btw the advice I have heard is if you're only sick above the neck, go ahead and keep exercising. Otherwise, take a break.
    This rings true so much. I've dragged myself to the gym with head colds and actually emerged feeling a lot better. The phrase "sweat it out" must have some truth to it.