How do I know if I am in ketosis?

• I have been on the IP plan for eight days. I've lost 8 pounds... But I'm not sure if I've actually gone into ketosis. I've read about metallic taste, no appetite, thirst, etc. But I don't think I've experienced any of these. I've been following the plan religiously since day one. I just don't know if I'm doing anything wrong, or if this is perfectly normal.

I'm glad I'm on the plan and happy with the results I've seen so far. I just want to make sure I know if I'm doing something wrong as soon as possible so I can correct it.

Any advice would be soooo appreciated. And thanks to you guys in the forum. I've been stalking here for a few weeks. I don't think I could have/would have done this diet without you!
  • I'm not on IP, but I've heard that you can purchase strips to help you find out. I typed "ketone test strips" into google, and found a box available at Walgreens.
  • If you are following the plan as written you should be in ketosis. If you are shedding water, a so called "whoosh" effect, you entered into ketosis.

If you are staying well hydrated you probably won't notice the other symptoms. The only thing you may be aware of is a loss of craving and a more controlled feeling.

Outside of that, all the signals you indicated are signs of ketosis.
  • You could buy the strips to be sure. I don't have any strips, but the only thing different for me is I am so thirsty all of the time. I sip (sometimes gulp) water all day. I take extra salt to compensate. But I don't have ketosis breath or the metallic taste in my mouth. So I don't know if I am officially in ketosis or not, but this is my 9th day OP and I am down 8 lbs. I think if you lose the weight, and you are following the program, then you are in ketosis.
  • If you are staying properly hydrated the strips will be a potential waste of money. They will read as a trace or small amount (which is good) because you are diluting the ketones that are being flushed in urine. ALSO, the strips will not measure ketone bodies that are lost in blood, sweat, and respiration.

It can be a useful tool but, IMHO, the strips only become necessary if you are following the plan correctly and enter into a long stall.
  • You can buy strips super cheap at walmart, they are like $7 for a box of 50
  • honestly, do you have bad breath or have to bathe more because you get stinkier faster?

Thats a good way to know if you are in ketosis. I have to brush my teeth constantly when I am in ketosis! because my breath smells awful!
  • I have been on ip for 15 days and my first weekend on it I slept for 26 hours, I woke up every couple hours to eat and then right back to sleep.. it was amazing. haha
  • I bought the Ketostix last week & I've used one every morning. Following protocal to a T, but the strips say Im not in ketosis at all. I'm kinda stressing!
  • Quote: I bought the Ketostix last week & I've used one every morning. Following protocal to a T, but the strips say Im not in ketosis at all. I'm kinda stressing!
    Same here. I was just expecting it to be dark and was like wha? Really worried me but what showgirl said made me feel a little better. I definitely get my water +.