10K steps a day????

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Like, seriously?? Does everyone really hit that many steps in a day? Is this something to strive to hit daily, or is it just a good goal to just try to add a few more steps (sedentary people avg 1-3K I read), and increase the number of steps, overall?

I never counted my steps before. I'm quite amazed at how few I took yesterday, and I was up and walking around a lot... to the store, to pick up my kids from school, twice, to doctor appointment, and then out to dinner....I was wiped out by the end of the day and only had 3K steps!!

I haven't worked with my Body Bugg, yet. I wonder how many steps I'll take at work. I'm on my feet and walking around a lot. How do people with desk jobs keep those steps up?
  • I think it's pretty hard for an average person to take that many steps in a day, to be honest. When we were on vacation and walking around Boston for hours, I put on 13000 steps (thereabouts). yesterday while at the zoo, I put on 13000 steps for the day, but how many people actually stand on their feet and walk around for 4 hours straight? (that was about 10000 of the steps - other steps were around the house and grocery store).
  • 10,000 steps is about 5 miles.
    I do 5 miles in about an hour & 15 mins, almost every day..
    It's not that hard. It did take a while for my to build up to that, about 2 months.
  • I have a fitbit and it tracks my steps and I work to get my 10000 in each day-- it helps that I'll do the treadmill or elliptical for 35 minutes each day, but I also walk to and from school/work. There are days that I'm 2000 steps or so short, so then I'll sometimes go to a big 24 hr Wal Mart and walk the aisles or go for a walk outside. It's possible, I think, but not as easy as Dr. Oz made me think- I was like oh, yeah 10000 steps, no prob!, but now I realize it takes an effort throughout the day.
  • Quote: 10,000 steps is about 5 miles.
    I do 5 miles in about an hour & 15 mins, almost every day..
    It's not that hard. It did take a while for my to build up to that, about 2 months.
    Yes, but that is because you are walking just to walk. And to walk as fast as you do, takes endurance (I can walk that fast too, btw, but it's a FAST pace).

For someone not actually walking for exercise, just wearing a pedometer or bodybugg to see how many steps they take in a day, they will be hard pressed to get to 10000 steps without purposefully walking for exercise.
  • Right.... I didn't exercise yesterday so I don't know how many steps I will take, but I know I can't do 5 miles, much less five in an hour (impressive!). 10K is a high goal, so I wonder how close people actually get to it on a daily basis, especially without exercise. I don't think I will be walking on my treadmill every day.
  • I bought a pedometer with the goal of walking 10,000 steps a day and I had to purposefully carve out time to walk to get there. If I had just gone through my normal day without any added walking (office job) I think I made only 1500 steps. Abysmal. To get to 10,000 I had to have a walk at lunch, park my car really far away, and at the end of the really far away parking lot, not use the elevator (I'm on the 5th floor), etc. It was good because it made conscious of how little I was actually walking before.

Like berryblondeboys I had no problem reaching 10,000 (or even 28,000 - my record) steps in a day when I was on vacation. I didn't have access to a car and there were lots of interesting things to see. Sometimes the 10,000 a day in regular life is a bit of challenge.
  • I have a desk job and work 4 10-hr days, so I wasn't even coming CLOSE.. most days I couldn't even break 3k, let alone 10k. You mentioned your BodyBugg...love and hate that little thing lol, it was such an eye-opener for me. Getting a BB was the final push I needed to join the gym - now I jog an hour a night (working my way down from a 17 minute mile still though ) and that's the ONLY thing that even puts me close to or beyond 10k - and that's just barely!

Honestly it doesn't seem like a plausible goal for a regular person on a daily basis.

Lucky72 - 28,000? Holy cow! My feet tingled just reading that! *lol*
  • in my experience, you definitely have to walk for the sake of walking to get anywhere close to 10K - even with a fairly busy life, you aren't going to hit that with incidental walking around running errands, etc.

I do steps on my Wii while watching TV. It's only a small step up and down, so it's not really the same as doing step aerobics, but I do count it in terms of trying to hit 10K daily steps. I was there at one point a couple of years ago when I was working out more consistently and for a longer time period, still working my way back up this time. But that works for me because it's too hot to try to walk outside during the day and I'm a single mom of a young kid so I can't go outside for an early morning walk, which would be my first choice.
  • That's only 4 miles and can be accomplished with a good walk and daily activities. The goal is to do it every day.
  • Quote: I think it's pretty hard for an average person to take that many steps in a day, to be honest. When we were on vacation and walking around Boston for hours, I put on 13000 steps (thereabouts). yesterday while at the zoo, I put on 13000 steps for the day, but how many people actually stand on their feet and walk around for 4 hours straight? (that was about 10000 of the steps - other steps were around the house and grocery store).

I'm on my feet and walking for eight hours a day.The walking is built into my job. I usually rack up between 22000 and 30000 steps a day.
  • Quote: I'm on my feet and walking for eight hours a day.The walking is built into my job. I usually rack up between 22000 and 30000 steps a day.
    WTG! I walk a lot for my job, so I'm looking forward to seeing where I end up on a work day!
  • Lol, the only time I ever went over 10K without trying, was last years Black Friday, LOL. All that shopping, and I did like, 11500 or something...

With my BMF, I track daily. I work in an office and I have to make myslef get up and walk around. Every time I go to the restroom, I walk around the building, taking the long way. Every step counts!! lol.
  • I'm asking for a BodyBug for xmas. I'm a stay at home mom so I'm frightened to see how little steps I take a day, lol.
  • I do not count my steps, but I guesstimate....I walk two miles every morning; because I take short steps, and there are 5,280 feet in a mile, I assume that my normal routine with the added two miles, is more than enough........now I wonder if I should get a pedometer to check it.