Huge challenge ahead......

• I think I’ve decided how I’m going to tackle it but any advice/feedback from some experienced Iper's would be greatly appreciated.

The community group that I belong to is hosting one of our huge fund raisers this upcoming weekend (Thursday thru Sunday). I have politely declined to be there every day and will only be in attendance for the ENTIRE day on Saturday. Sounds easy enough to handle the day and stay OP but here comes the road blocks. I will be in the New Orleans French Quarter from early morning to late evening/early morning. My only means of storage will be my backpack. And if you have ever been in down in the Quarter in August, you would know that it is the WORST time of the year to be there due to the heat and humidity. Clothing and accessories are kept to a minimum…. attempting to keep something COLD is a joke!

I have no desire to have any alcohol….not worth it at this point in my journey…so that’s not the issue. I have to eat! No access to kitchen facilities at all except very early Sat & Sunday AM. Shaker and packets…..not gonna happen…..so I need to rely on RTD. Anybody ever frozen one and let it thaw naturally? Otherwise, I can “pay” for a cup of ice and be able to enjoy. I will also have a couple of bars in my bag. I would much rather have two restricted than indulge in one of the MANY foods that will be around to entice me. That is gonna be soooooo tough but I can handle it. Veggies……gonna have a bag of some combination of heat resilient raw ones in my bag….but there’s no way I can carry 4 cups so my body will have to enjoy what I can carry for the day. Finding IP friendly veggies in the Quarter…forget about it!

Not seeing anyway else around this……and I’m not going to let my group down by not being in attendance either. How would you handle this?

Thanks….CAT
  • Cat it sounds like you have a good plan there, I believe the frozen RTD is a great idea. sometimes it is just hard to do when you are attending something like that. Veggies are going to be the trick, is it possible for you to find a nice salad there? Sorry can't say I have been to Orleans but always wanted too, for of course all their wonderful food and festivals... I just love deep friedpickles... sounds like you are doing everything right keep it up...
  • I just came back from a super hectic trip and I had a few instances where I just could not get/carry the food I needed. I never ate anything that wasn't OP but I did have to go without all of my veggies some days, here's some of the things that I ended up doing:

1) Carry bars. One day I had two, but that was after it was clear that I would have no opportunity to have anything else. I was fine with it.

2) I mastered the "art" of pouring the drink powder into a regular water bottle. It was not the easiest of things but it can be done, then you just shake it vigorously and it dissolves just the same as if you were using the shaker.

3) The night before I prepared 2 cups of spinach and even though I was not hungry at all, I ate it before I left home so that I ensured that at least I had 2 cups of veggies on busy days (I chose spinach because it boils down to nothing and so it didn't take long to eat and I didn't feel too full)

I think that the RTD is a great idea.

Good luck! You can do this!
  • The frozen RTD works, I've tried it (with the choc one). I also had it sitting between two frozen bottles of water in my backpack...so that kept everything nice and cool. When I was ready for the rtd it was still a little frozen in the middle, so it took a little longer to finish, but it was refreshing. This set up would probably keep sliced cukes and peppers cool too.
    Way to volunteer girl...I hope your community appreciates you and your group of friends!!
  • Cat, sounds like you have a good plan. The frozen RTD are the way to go and like you said have you a few bars just in case. You are so right about the humidity and the heat in the Quarter is horrible. I haven't been to the Quarter in awhile, there is no more farmer's market where you could get some veggies while there? YOU got this and you know you do
  • Quote: Cat, sounds like you have a good plan. The frozen RTD are the way to go and like you said have you a few bars just in case. You are so right about the humidity and the heat in the Quarter is horrible. I haven't been to the Quarter in awhile, there is no more farmer's market where you could get some veggies while there? YOU got this and you know you do
    I was also thinking you could take a IP Crispy Cereal (just put in any cup and add cold water). Also could take a foil packet of Tuna & mix with a travel size WF dressing right in the pouch. Those should keep well since they are factory sealed.
  • I did freeze a Chocolate RTD this weekend (not on purpose). It was actually really good frozen. I have also had Chocolate RTD's that had been in my car all day on vacation, they weren't too bad.

I would see about getting a bar for the day and then take an 3 RTD's. Just in case you get extra hungry or your veggies don't survive the heat.
  • Hard Rock Cafe has a fantastic Un Cobb salad - you would have to tell them to leave the fruit off. No Cafe du Monde though - man I used to love that place. My aunt and I went there in June and I ordered a bieignet. I couldn't even eat a quarter of it! Disclaimer: this was before my IP days . I think your plan sounds good - you will make it through!!
  • Thank you all for the wonderful advice and ideas. You guys rock!

I will make a point of having a photo taken of me in the Quarter and post it sometime next week.