Yes, I have a problem

• How do you know if you have an eating disorder - I'm concerned about emotional eating - severe overeating, and not even hungry.

I definitely have a problem, but I don't know how to define it.

Roo

[This message has been edited by KangaRoo (edited 01-31-2001).]
  • Hi Roo! You have posted several times in the Buddy Up section and I wanted to respond to your questions....I'm quoting out of a 12 step book about food addiction....hope it helps.

Their definition of a compulsive overeater is not some fixed weight limit or percentage, such as someone who is 30 lbs over normal weight. They define compulsive overeaters as people who are eating to satisfy emotional hungers, hungers of which they may or may not be aware. The issue is not how much the person weighs, but rather his or her reasons for eating. They also give a short quiz:
    Do you eat when you're angry? Do you eat to comfort yourself in times of crisis and tension? Do you eat to stave off boredom? Do you lie to yourself and others about how much you have eaten or when you ate? Do you hide food away for yourself? Are you embarassed about your physical appearance? Are you 20 percent or more over your medically recommended weight? Have significant people in your life expressed concern about your eating patterns? Has your weight fluctuated by more than ten pounds in the past six months? Do you fear your eating is out of control?

This book says if you answered "yes" to several of these questions, then you are a compulsive overeater.

Roo...this info came from the "Love Hunger, Recovery from Food Addiction" book by Dr. Minirth, Dr. Meier, et al.....

It's a terrific book and has really helped me do some soul searching about the reasons why I can't maintain a weight loss. It's as hard to control as anorexia, bulimia, and other chemical addictions such as alcohol & drugs. Actually, I'm betting drugs & alcohol would be easier because you just abstain from usage...there is life without D & A, but no life without food!

Hope this doesn't overwhelm you....you are not alone!
  • this sounds like my problem. I guess it will just take a lot of prayers and will power to overcome it. I am having a hard time admitting that I have an eating problem, but I have got to do something about my weight. Good luck with your struggle. I will be looking to see if you've made and progress and if we need to we can draw stength from each other.
  • middlesis - thanks for the info (and the PM). I've been doing a little soul searching myself - I think I'm starting to "get it".

txtam - i hope you are finding support here, I post on several different threads and have found the variety of subjects and views have helped a great deal!

I've been really looking inside myself lately. In one way I want to lose weight so my family and friends will be proud of me - although deep down I know they already are and it has nothing to do with weight and physical appearance, but everything to do me and my accomplishments.

I am getting into the mindset of HEALTH, it is very unhealthy for me to be this fat, it is also very unhealthy for my daughter to see me struggling with food all the time. I need to get a handle on this for my own physical health & for my daughter. If I don't get my body healthy, I'll never live long enought to enjoy seeing my daughter go to school, college, get married, have kids - I want to retire & enjoy life, not spend it in doctor's offices and hospitals.

I think with these kinds of goals I am really starting to get my eating under control & am making conscious decisions to do what I do, eat what I eat. Unfortunately, I'm still struggling with exercise - but I'm working on a plan for that, too!!

Thanks for the reply's, it's nice to know I'm not the only one out there & that there is hope for all of us!!

Roo

[This message has been edited by KangaRoo (edited 02-21-2001).]
  • Roo, I totally understand what you said about being more "health conscious". As I approach my 40th birthday, I notice how much harder it is for me to do the things that I enjoy, like gardening. I work in an occupation that exposes me to individuals that experience disabilities. Some of those disabilities are caused by obesity, and it scares me to death! I think we are all painfully aware of what middleage and older could be like if we don't get the weight under control. I find myself avoiding doctors as I get older, because I don't want to face the scale, and hear him remind me what I'm doing to my body with all this extra weight.
  • Roo,

Hi- my name is Amy and I am a recovering Bulimic and laxative addict all related to a later diagnosed Obsessive Compulsive disorder... I still have bad days...but comparing to what my life use to be and what it is now; I am better, not cured but better.

I can honestly say I believe I have thought about food every waking moment of my adult life, or should I say any moment that wasn't consumed with something else, if I have something really to keep my mind off of thing it is better, but most of the time from the minute I wake up until I go to sleep I wonder what there is in the kitchen to eat. The first part of my battle is not getting up and going to eat it.

I am better than I use to be... but as I read peoples stories I go...yeah I relate to her or her or her....

I went to counseling for about 8 months about a year ago after I lost my last baby and I came to the realization that a lot of my problem has to do with me not liking me, but that there was/is something chemical to it also.... Having little or no self-esteem when I actually deserve to have a he@# of a lot of it.... I beat myself up over ever little thing and I when the world is against me.... My comfort has always been food. Getting over the depression and finding things to redirect my thoughts sometimes helps with the urge to eat constantly....

I am rambling.... My suggestion is that if you think you have a problem then you probably do.... Your mind is your own best friend. The question is what do you do to make the problem better?

I was diagnosed with obsessive compulsive disorder while I was seeing my therapist... What you may not relate to is, obsessive compulsive disorder doesn’t always have to do with washing your hands or checking the door locks. The obsessing about food and then eating it (compulsion), rounds out to basically the same thing as washing your hands 100 times a day.... Except washing you hands doesn't normally lead to health problems where overeating will.

Now I just wanted you to know that you are not on your own. I fight every day… My biggest this is not stopping at the corner store for a Diet Dr Pepper and a Caramello bar (king size) before class EVERY NIGHT!!!! Which is very, very, very hard!!! But I am doing it day by day…. Sounds a lot like A A doesn’t it. If you need to vent… I am here.

Amy
  • So much has happened since my first post. I've been really reaching inside myself, trying to resolve these issues I have with myself and I think I'm getting somewhere.

With the support of my family, I am facing myself with the real truth. I know that I am overweight, I know that I don't have to be, I know that I have the ability to change, I know that I have full support of family and friends. What a wonderful place to be!

I had a great talk with a friend last weekend about our weight, our frustrations, our habits, everything. It was amazing, I usually have a hard time doing that face-to-face which is why I post so often here! My husband was in the room when we were talking and I don't think he realized until then how bad I was treating myself with food. Now, he is helping me to get through it and is supporting my efforts without criticism or negativity.

I started a journal, using that to get out my emotions before I even step foot into the kitchen. Also, we have purged our home of all the sweets and chips that I can't have around. We are developing an exercise program that both of us can live with. I really feel like I'm making some progress & am excited to suddenly be feeling good about myself again!

I know I'll still have the down times, but with hubby's support I'll be able to get back on track before I get too destructive. He has a very gentle way of reminding me of my goals and steering me in the right direction. He even "forgives" me for getting mad at him when I know he's right!

I'll keep checking in here, I hope we all are able to overcome our problems with eating and be successful in everything we do!

Roo