Binge Eating

You're on Page 2 of 3
Go to
  • Hey guys....I was lost without the board this weekend! I weighed in on Friday (-2.8) and was excited and wanted to share. Oh well, I'm glad to see we are up and running again.
    I was happy about the weight loss, but then last night for dinner my husband and I went to Krystal and got Krystal burgers and Chili Cheese Fries. We split the fries and I only ate 2 Krystals, but I felt a little guilty anyway. But it was really good. Guess I'll have to make sure I do really well today.
    How's is going guys? Haven't heard from either of you hope all is o.k.
    Well guess I better get ready for work! It's that time!
    Hope to hear from you soon!
  • CONGRATULATIONS on your weight loss!!! That's great! And remember, it's okay to eat whatever you want (on occasion...and within reason). You did great when you were eating out!

I lost 1.8 this week..which is great considering that temporary love affair I had with the Girl Scout cookies!!!

Let's hope we all do as well this week, too!!!!

Chris
  • Congratulations to you both on your outstanding weight loss! I myself lost 5 pounds last week. We're doing SO well!

Keep up the good work, and remember that if anyone needs to talk, I'm just an e-mail ([email protected]) away!
  • Oh Kendra, congratulations on your 5 pound loss! That's fabulous!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You must be very, very proud of yourself. Are you working out also? I did water aerobic today, not too strenuous, but I feel a burning in my legs, so something must have happened!!

Chris
  • Chris,
    Working out implies that I have time to do anything but work, go to school, and sleep. I stand a lot at work, and do a lot of walking there, plus I just started a new babysitting job, so there's lots of up and down with the kids! Luckily for me, that's been about the extent of the exercise that I've needed recently. Soon that'll stop and I'll have to go back to exercising again.
  • Kendra,

Well at least you're burning calories as you stand at work (and as you chase those kids around in your new babysitting job). You won't need to exercise after a day like that...ha!

I liked the Dave Matthews band quote!

Chris
  • Emotional eating UGH!!!
    I have been reading all your posts. I am glad to hear other people are fighting this battle also. Not that I wish such a thing on a person but I am tired of feeling alone. I know why when and where I eat. I know how to work on it and have had a huge deal of success with it in the past, but the present is taking over and I am really fighting again. I am sure this is mumbo gumbo, but I know you all know what I mean. I feel so nasty and gross when I eat from an emotion. I am currently writing down what I eat and entering it on the fitday.com site. I also have a journal to write in when I need to vent or figure out my feelings. So hopefully I can get through this again. I know with all of you here I can do this. Thanks for being here and good luck. And also I will try to help you all when I can. STephanie D.
  • Stephanie,

I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN! Boy, do I. I've been struggling with binge eating (emotional eating, I'm sure) for so many years I can barely remember NOT eating huge quantities. It's been a part of my life, even though I've gone through therapy for it, I know that I do it and why...I just can't seem to stop. It is a vicious place to be. It's impressive that you're working hard to leave this behind. I think a journal is a great idea. I've been journaling almost my entire life (and it's a hoot to go back and read what I was miserable about in the 5th grade!) so that's something I'll think about doing, too!

You're definitely not alone!

Chris
  • Welcome Stephanie! As you can see from this board, none of us with an eating problem is alone....sometimes we just think we are!
    Chris I'm so happy about your loss last week! See it's nice to know that even when you slip into the old habits, as long as your trying to make a few good choices they can make a difference! Are all the cookies gone now? Ours are....we had one box left and I sent it to work with the hubby, so there wasn't a chance I'd slip. But then my son brought home POTATO chips.....I only had a few....I was standing there shoving them in my mouth without thinking...it hit me and I thought...hey why are you doing this....your not hungry...so I put them back up. Not to bad...not happy about it, but I guess it's good I realized it before I ate the whole bag....why is it just so easy to slip back into that mode?
    Kendra....Super Loss! Keep up the good work.
    We're all doing really good and should be really proud!
    We'll I'm off to work, hope everyone has a great day!!!
    Laura
  • Hi everyone,

I weigh in tomorrow! Ugh. I haven't been that good, but I won't beat myself up about it (I can just hear you saying that, Laura!). Or at least I'll try not to. I'm stressed right now, and as a result I'm focusing only on food, food, food. Hopefully I'll learn to manage it.

Hope you all are having a good week!!

Chris

p.s. I ate some potato chips too! Luckily they were the WOW version of Ruffles...fat free and not too many calories..and I didn't eat the bag..only a serving, or two.
  • Hi All,

I just wanted to pop in and tell you about a couple of things that I've found helpful for getting control. Watching Dr. Phil on Oprah, I was struck by his suggestion that we identify our "triggers" - look at the situations in which we "lose" control. Well, for me, it was: 1. I was alone; and 2. I was not sitting at the table but either sitting on the couch or standing in front of the fridge or cupboard.

So I made a rule that when I was alone, I could only eat food that was point-free (WW) like veggies, for example, unless I sat at the table. That's made all the difference in the world to me. It takes the whole thing out of the realm of "impulse" for me. I haven't lost control in the three weeks since that day and it feels good. I have gone a couple of points over some days, but not badly, and not out of control.

The other thing that I've found useful is to attack the problem from the other direction - to try to focus on other things, make sure I have enough fun in my life that I don't feel like food is all I have to look forward to. Also important to try to reduce stress, and treat myself nicely.

I'm not silly enough to think that this means I've got it wrapped up, but these things are really helping!

Good luck, everybody! Take good care of yourselves!

babette
  • Babette,

Good for you. I am glad you hear you feel that way after watching that Oprah show. I have recorded all of them and I am sitting down this weekend to watch them. I really can't wait now that you are doing so well.

You keep up the good work and keep us posted.

Have a great weekend. Stephanie D.
  • Hi All!

Dunkeroo, it was really interesting for me watching those shows. I just caught the last two of them and watched them separately. When I watched the second one, I felt positively electrified - it was amazing! But then almost immediately afterward, I pigged out on something or other. Weird. I think it was a rebellion on the part of whatever part of me doesn't want to give up the behavior. Guess that aspect of me felt threatened! But I felt so excited and positive watching the show, and then ... what? I ate to numb even those feelings? After watching the third show and coming up with some concrete ways to address the problem is when it really kicked in for me. Keeping my fingers crossed!

xo
    babette
  • Hi everyone,

I haven't watched much of Oprah unfortunately, but I've heard Dr. Phil is great. I'd love to see more of him, and read more about him! Anyone recommend books?

I can't follow your (great) advice, Babette (about not eating anything bad when you're alone, or not sitting down). I eat all my binge eating when I'm alone, sitting down or otherwise. But maybe I'll try to start doing that. I need to remember it takes an effort and I need to put forth an effort!

I lost .2 pounds (not 2 pounds, but point-2) this week. Not too bad, certainly better then gaining!

Have a GREAT week, everyone! Keep me posted on how you're all doing (and HOW you're doing it!).

Chris
  • Dr. Phil Info...
    Chris ,

I read you post about Dr. Phil and I thought I would share what I can. I Started watching the tape that I have of his weight loss ideas. I am really enjoying them. I however have lost the second show, so if anyone has it I would pay for a copy. Anyway I went to Oprah.com and found a link to Dr. Phil,

http://www.oprah.com/phil/phil_landing.html

So if you go there he has a article on is getting real with weight loss plan. He also has books you can buy and they are listed on there also, I believe. Well I hope that helps. Good luck. I will check back in when I get to finish watching the tapes, again if anyone has the second one let me know. Thanks Stephanie