What kind of vinegar can we have on IP?

• I am going to try to make my own salad dressing since all of the store bought ones have sugar in them. I have a great recipe but it calls for red wine vinegar. Does anyone have a suggestion for a good swap for red wine vinegar? If it turns out well I'll be sure to share the recipe.
  • Maybe apple cider vinegar?! Depends on the other stuff your are putting in so maybe just plain vinegar and spices would work.
  • My coach told me we can only have apple cider and white vinegar...

Hope your salad dressing turns out great! I really dislike most store-bought dressings, so I always make my own vinaigrette... the basics are:

1 tsp EVOO
    1 tsp vinegar (or lemon juice)
    1 tsp stevia (this is essentially 1 packet)
    1 tsp mustard (any kind)

Then I add whatever spices I like... and just vary the vinegar & mustard choices according to what I feel like that day!
  • White and Apple cider or for sure. But any vinegar that have 0 Cal/0 Carbs/ 0 Fat are acceptable.
  • what about ponzu vinegar? found at sushi restaurants... 1g carb but would one serving be horrible? the guy I am dating wants to take me out tonight and sushi is one of the one places I feel like I can stay within my program and not order plain veggies no butter and fish no sauce... so I am hoping a little ponzu vinegar (instead of soy) is allowed!
  • Thanks for the information and for the recipe. I may just go with your recipe as it sounds easy and quick. Can we have garlic?
  • I use rice vinegar, I love that more than apple cider. but make sure you get one that is 0/0/0
  • Quote: Thanks for the information and for the recipe. I may just go with your recipe as it sounds easy and quick. Can we have garlic?
    Yes loriab, garlic is allowed and a great way to add taste to your meals .
  • I substitute fresh lemon juice and cider vinegar mixed in vinegrettes
  • Quote: I use rice vinegar, I love that more than apple cider. but make sure you get one that is 0/0/0
    ???? A tablespoon of rice vinegar has 6 carbs. I don't know how you could make it with 0 carbs? 1 T cider vinegar has .14 carbs. Is there really such a thing as 0/0/0 rice vinegar? or 0/0/0 any-kind-of vinegar?
  • Quote: I am going to try to make my own salad dressing since all of the store bought ones have sugar in them. I have a great recipe but it calls for red wine vinegar. Does anyone have a suggestion for a good swap for red wine vinegar? If it turns out well I'll be sure to share the recipe.
    According to my googling efforts, you might want to just stick with your red wine vinegar........

1 cup white vinegar
    43 calories
    .10 carbs (according to USDA)

1 cup cider vinegar
    50 calories
    2.22 carbs (according to USDA)

1 cup red wine vinegar
    45 calories
    .65 carbs (according to USDA)

I also found 3 different rice vinegars. As Linden said, the seasoned rice vinegar is very high in carbs, the unseasoned is not much better with 1 carb per tablespoon and least of all is the Nakano rice vinegar natural at 0 carb per tablespoon.
  • Quote: According to my googling efforts, you might want to just stick with your red wine vinegar........

1 cup white vinegar
    43 calories
    .10 carbs (according to USDA)

1 cup cider vinegar
    50 calories
    2.22 carbs (according to USDA)

1 cup red wine vinegar
    45 calories
    .65 carbs (according to USDA)

I also found 3 different rice vinegars. As Linden said, the seasoned rice vinegar is very high in carbs, the unseasoned is not much better with 1 carb per tablespoon and least of all is the Nakano rice vinegar natural at 0 carb per tablespoon.
    Thanks for the qualification. Since USDA doesn't have a listing for rice vinegar I googled it and only came up with one figure.