What do you wear when you run?

• I wear a sports bra under a sleeveless t-shirt (DRI-FIT fabric) and running shorts (also same fabric). Although truthfully, I wish I could just wear only the sports bra and shorts b/c the heat has been awful lately. Sometimes after I come back, I'm sweating like crazy. Running minus the shirt would keep me considerably cooler.

My question is this: Is it appropriate for a 39 year old who has two kids but a decent body to wear JUST the sports bra or is that a look for a much younger woman?

I've seen women do both and I'm confused as to what is the proper running attire rules, lol.

Any thoughts from the runners on the board?
  • erm if you're comfortable with just the sport bra and shorts, go for it.
    I don't think there's really a rule thing with what you're going to wear for running, personally.
    i'm 24 and i wouldn't go for that look, just because im not comfortable w/ it, not really because i mind people's thoughts
  • If you're comfortable with it, go for it!

Especially if you're running outside, no one really sees you for a long enough period of time really to judge anyways. I bet you look great so I see absolutely no problem with it if you're comfortable with it!
  • When I am close to goal, I will be wearing a sports bra jogging. I am looking foward to no more short sleeve shirt tan lines from jogging.
  • If you're comfortable, go for it.

Where I run outside, wearing only a bra is asking to get cat-called and harrassed. YMMV.
  • I wear a dollar store sports bra, a cotton t-shirt or tank top, and swishy fabric shorts.
  • What ever keeps you happy and comfy..... I've always been a singlet and shorts girl, but I don't see why your age has to come into it at all.......
  • If you feel comfortable then go for it and be proud of what you have
  • Quote: When I am close to goal, I will be wearing a sports bra jogging. I am looking foward to no more short sleeve shirt tan lines from jogging.
    Haha...the tan lines - I can definitely relate to that.

As far as the cat calls, I doubt they'd harass me once they see I'm close to 40 and the bra has a tendency to squish my breasts down and flatten them so it's not like I'm a Playboy Bunny running and bouncing everywhere, lol.

Plus the bras I have look like you could wear them alone b/c they have subtle patterns on them.

I guess it's a matter of preference. Maybe I will but not on the weekend because everyone's out and about, lol. I will agree that running outside is different than running on a treadmill at a gym. No one sees you for very long.

If the temperature is above 95 degrees, there's no question in my mind - bra only and no shirt. It's way too hot at that point.