~~July Golden Girls~~

You're on Page 11 of 34
Go to
  • Morning everyone..my internal clock is sure off.i was pooped from puppy duty and fell asleep early last nite but sadie decided it was time to get up at 4:30 am so ive been up rambling around. we are going to get my puppy this morning so things will be more hectic dh is going to the cabin tho and hes taking sadie on her first trip. shes a very sweet dog and we are allready attached.Daisy is great as abig sister,they play alot and chase each other and when shes had enuff she jumps up on the back of my chair.Im still trying for those 3 # im going to try several meals this weekend with protein shakes and see if i cant shake them loose and some extra boxing and wtgs. no matter what the plan its all work right hoping yours is going well too rosey ps i watch BB, im hooked on those kind of shows
  • Rie, how fun the 24 yo and backhanded compliment. You’re as old as his mother??? I bet he’s thrown for a loop now.

KarenMO, thanks for setting up the FB group. It will be cool to post pics there.

Gayle, sounds like your deck was peaceful and relaxing. I’m going to mimic you in a half hour with the pool deck, umbrella and iced mocha.

Mary, kick up the bike or walking speed. That will raise your heart rate. On exercise machines, increasing the resistance will up the rate quickly as well. Of course, I hate stretching as much as strength training, so I’d be happy to donate some of my aerobics to you if you’ll do my stretching. Between you and Rie, I’d be a well rounded exerciser then. Since I have my pool open for the summer, I am doing aerobics 3X daily. So it should work out perfectly.

Lynn, enjoy your dine-in movie. I adore Tom Hanks. My favorite movie of his was Cast Away. He was amazing, carrying the movie without sound effects or interactive dialogue for half the movie.

Bobbi, ditto on the quiet to Donna. I do not winter for at least the next 24 months.

Donna, our real Madonna. OMG that made me laugh!!! BTW Madonna, when’s your next video coming out? Like a Virgin was one of my fave videos… My evil scale lately has been chortling with glee but I will win the war.

Rosey, you do know as soon as Sadie understands sleeping all the way through the night, your new puppy will be here? But they’re so worth it.

All the company is gone. This morning, I moved all the junk back to the guest room and freed my exercise/craft room from its dump like atmosphere. My house is restored to semi clean and I’m going to make my mocha, then sit by the pool and enjoy the beautiful morning. I already went a strolling with the doggies and realized I do get an arm workout since the four of them outweigh me by a ton (which is quiet good). They’re huskies and believe pulling is necessary regardless that they’ve toned it down because they’re not on harness. Anyway, my bike is in the living room for a fluid trainer workout, then DH and I will swim laps later. So… Mary and Rie, I’m doing my share of our exercise needs.
    Marie
  • Hello Golden Girls!

Today is my day to work at home so I am taking a break from the dreaded financial report to visit here.

I have been waking with the sun each day and I am not fighting it. Today I had my first cup and then hit the workout. I did one hour and 20 minutes of aerobics and then stretching. I felt powerful. A nod and a twinkle to you, Marie!

I have my laundry going and I have finished the hand wash stuff. (Why do I buy things that need hand washing?? I will work for about 3 more hours and then I plan to go on a mission to find some new indoor pots for my plants. Ds is out mowing the lawn at the farm so the sounds of "magic school bus" are playing, keeping gs occupied while I work.

I have my monthly charity pool tourney tonight and I am looking forward to some pool and a little poker. I fully intend to take my friends money in our friendly little poker game.

Karen, I found your facebook page but I couldn't figure out how to friend you or get on the page. Maybe you can find me through the private message that I sent you.

Marie, I sure get a kick out of your stories with your huskies. I can just see you. As a long time dog obedience trainer, I always look with disfavor on folks who are walking their dogs as the dogs are pulling ahead of them. I never thought about breeds like huskies liking to pull. Maybe I will have to re-evaluate...... Of course, I really look down upon those who never pay attention to their lonely dogs.....

Donna, I love the name. I am so glad that your day with granny/mom went well and that your brother joined you. Maybe he found it to be not so bad and so he will take more of the load. And, dear, I join you in pining for winter and the chilly weather that makes me feel good.

Rosey, I can't wait to see new puppy pictures.

Bobbi, I remember with fondness the chickens that we had when I was a little girl. I get my eggs now from the local huderites and they are wonderful.

Lynn, I am also waiting for the Larry Crowne review. I am hoping that it is playing at our drive inn this weekend. I am so there tomorrow! Either that or the new transformers..... (I know, I should act my age. LOL) I loved what you had to say about your cancers. You are amazing.

Mary, I liked the story about you guys cooking together! It was very sweet and I am glad that you enjoyed it. Have fun at the potluck. Remember, some activity is better than none. For your blood sugar, the longer slower excercise is fine, even if it doesn't get your heart rate up much.

Gayle, I am glad that you enjoyed a little RnR on the deck. Good for you - good stress management. Sounds like you are having a busy day.

Zoe, I remember my mom and her friend when they were in TOPS. I was maybe 9 or 10 at the time. They used to go to this place to weigh in and "work out". They had these machines that had a wide belt that you placed around your rump and then it would wobble and shake your butt around. I got the giggles and I absolutely could NOT stop! My mom was so mad at me and I was sent to the car and never allowed to go again. Even now, my eyes are watering and I am tee heeeing as I type. That being said, if you find a modern version - perhaps a motorized pilates table, I am in!

Karen3, I hope that you are well today and continuing in your recovery.

Koala, Tea, Freda and everyone that I missed, I will TTL

Rie
    PS. On the name thing... My name is Valarie - yes, with an A. My dad loved the song and named me that (you know, Valarriiiieeee, Valaraaahhh, Valarah ha ha....) LOL, Thanks Dad. My mom is still mad about it......

• Karen 31 Yes I found your FB page, and I just now pm you.

Rie - I didn't go to the potluck. We didn't go to the gym, but my dh cooked the poncit and is now at the potluck. I just can't face so much food so often. Seems like once you retire there is always a potluck somewhere. I'm trying to limit big meals to once a week or less...this is buffets and potlucks mainly. My dh is very social, much more than I so I told him to go on.

I bought a new scale yesterday as our other one was working wierdly. Dh didn't think anything was wrong as it worked for him but it rarely worked for me...strange So I told him I'll buy a new one and if there is no difference I'll take it back. Well it works great except it weighs me even heavier So I don't know which is right but i suspect this one. So according to this I'm about 10 lbs over my sig weight! I'll be going to the doctor before long and can compare with his scale then. But I love the new scale...it has huge letter with a glow so I can see it better too. Also the number stays there longer after you step off. I had a little trouble seeing the old one. And seeing that large number gives me a lot of incentive to work harder at losing, that's for sure! Think I'll just change my ticker to reflect the awful truth and start from there!

Marie - ok, I'll up the speed a little at a time and see if that helps me get a better work out. I'm just the opposite...I LOVE stretching and light weights! Aerobics I could easily do without but doctor says I need to do 30 min a day but I never do. Before dh had his accident I did them 5x week but now only 3 ....usually. I missed today.

Lynn - The bike kinda hurts my knees too. Been wondering whether I should even be doing it. The treadmill is fine though.

Well, I'd better get started doing something...it's past noon already with little accomplished. Just now my neighbor came over to tell me we had customers! I'd forgotten all about my dh putting out some things to sell and here I was still in my nightgown! So I asked him to take care of it which he did and I dressed fast in case more come.
  • Rie, oh I remember the rump wigglers. You know, some person made a fortune off that invention. At least it was good for laughs. I was at my parents' fitness center when I tried one. Maybe I was 13 or so. I stood there thinking, what the heck. Now I'd think it was just an overgrown pleasure toy. My dogs can and will walk nicely by my side (unless a bunny decides to hop along side then all bets are off). My animal behaviorist chided me for letting the huskies go up front until she really understood me. The walks were for the doggies' fun and adventure. If they couldn't sniff and trot like the proud puppies they are, why bother? They really don't pull a lot because I wouldn't be able to take all four by myself. Sasha, my rescue babe, is a puller (better at heeling than at first). I hold her leash in one hand and the other three in the other hand. I switch off because the Sasha hand tends to get tired. She has her reasons for pulling yet she's a lousy musher. When we start, she pulls straight and mightily - then Bambi or a bunny or a birdie or a shadow distracts her. Then she aims for the ditch. Once I left quite the line in the dirt road as I was going into the ditch. Thankfully my scooter has disc brakes. I stopped a foot short of the ditch. And Kai was also pulling against her to stop the deviation. Kai is an amazing musher. So smart and talented. OK, enough about my doggies... You all are probably bored.
    Marie
  • Evening all...just checking in. Am okay. Still dizzy and tire easy. As Dh reminded me. It may be a month since the surgery but it's only 2 weeks since hospital discharge. Sighhhhhhh am a bad patient!

Think the 3 chicks at this site should have fuzz faces. We all seem to have a family with lots of fuzzy cheeks.

Watched the shuttle go up this am. Not visible from front yard because of heavy cloud cover. So disappointed. Really liked the night shots, they felt like they were close. Can't believe the program is over. I was in Ocala one year when they were returning and it fly right over us. Weird no engine noise and mostly of the sound was air moving...just a big glidder.

Starting PT in the morning. Just a couple of sessions to show me what to do. Should be interesting.

love you all.....karen3
  • Hi Everyone,

It is pouring here. We REALLY liked the movie. Have a great evening.

Karen,

Is the main purpose of the FB page to share photos? We will still post our daily messages here – yes?

Quote: [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkorchid]Lynn...we had Orpington chickens (6) that laid brown eggs and we all very sweet natured. They got old, stopped laying. 2 died on their own, dh took care of the rest. We both felt bad because they were our friends.
    Hi Bobbi,

I remember. I think you used to have a pic with the chicks.

Quote: Lynn – I want to hear a review of “Larry Crowne”. I love, love, love anything with Tom Hanks, so I hope this is a good one! Did you get the air conditioner fixed?
    Hi Donna,

Larry Crowne was VERY cute. Both my DS and I really liked it – unusual for both of us to like the same movie. I HIGHLY recommend it. AC is working well – I am HAPPY! (finally)

Quote: i watch BB, im hooked on those kind of shows
    Hi Rosey,

This is my 3rd season watching BB. I didn’t know about the Evil guy. What’s the story with him and his DD?

Quote: [COLOR=Purple]
    Lynn, enjoy your dine-in movie. I adore Tom Hanks. My favorite movie of his was Cast Away. He was amazing, carrying the movie without sound effects or interactive dialogue for half the movie. Marie
    Hi Marie,

You will LOVE this one. He plays a VERY likable guy.

Quote: Lynn, I am also waiting for the Larry Crowne review. I am hoping that it is playing at our drive inn this weekend. I am so there tomorrow! Either that or the new transformers..... (I know, I should act my age. LOL) I loved what you had to say about your cancers. You are amazing.
    Hi Rie,

You will like it – I cannot imagine anyone who like Tom Hanks not liking it.

Quote: Lynn - The bike kinda hurts my knees too. Been wondering whether I should even be doing it. The treadmill is fine though.
    Hi Mary,

Everyone’s aches and pains are affected differently by different activities/machines. I find that the bike with NO tension really helps my knee. I do a ½ hour every other day (on the day I am not doing the treadmill). I used to do water aerobics for arthritis in a hot pool, but the seniors drove me crazy. They were always complaining about the instructor (90 years old and counting). I thought she did a great job. Maybe I’ll give that a try again.

Quote: Sasha, my rescue babe, is a puller (better at heeling than at first). I hold her leash in one hand and the other three in the other hand. I switch off because the Sasha hand tends to get tired. She has her reasons for pulling yet she's a lousy musher.. Kai is an amazing musher. So smart and talented.
    Hi Marie,

Do you race them?

Quote: Watched the shuttle go up this am. Not visible from front yard because of heavy cloud cover. So disappointed. Really liked the night shots, they felt like they were close. Can't believe the program is over. I was in Ocala one year when they were returning and it fly right over us. Weird no engine noise and mostly of the sound was air moving...just a big glidder.
    Hi Karen,

Please go slowly! Your system has had a big shock & you need to treat it gently.

I saw the shuttle once from a plane window. The pilot got on the PA system and told us to look out the window on the left side of the plane. It was a beautiful, bright streak that lasted a couple of minutes. It was VERY moving to me.
  • Hi everyone.hope u all are'nt bored with my puppy pictures. he so tiny he fits in the bag i hang on my walker,and he loves it.his name is Gizmo and very sweet.The other dogs are curious especially Daisy. she jumped up and laid down by him and sniffed him all over.cute. Karen3 am so glad you posted again,it takes awhile to recover so be kind to yourself Marie you are in good company we love our furry friends.your husky sound beautiful. dh is leaving for the cabin soon and hes taking sadie and using his new 4 wheeler.i'd like to be a fly on the wall lol as hes not great getting up in the wee hrs. iasked him about that as he lets me get up and he grinned and he said"all i can say is i love you" hmmm good answer lol. have agreat evening rosey

• Rosie, your new baby is so adorable!!! I can even smell the puppy breath if I get real close to the monitor!!! LOL!!

Lynn, we all thought that it would be nice to have a place that is a little easier to share pictures, videos or whatever you want. Plus there are a lot of different things that we can discuss a little more freely over there. But I think everyone agrees this is the main discussion thread that we will be using for tracking our ups and downs up this weight loss journey. We'd love to have you come over too..
  • Hey GGs,
    Just wanted to let you know I stopped by. I read all the posts - y’all have been busy! Really glad to see you feeling good enough to post KarenFL.

SO & I have mostly been being lazy, & only completed a couple of projects. Still, it’s been great to be able to sleep in every morning (still end up getting up around 8AM, but that sure beats having to get up at 4!) Tomorrow we’re going to a Blackberry Festival, in a town about 30 miles away. Should be interesting, if it doesn’t get rained out (we’ve been having storms every afternoon). We’ll only be about 20 miles from the Blue Ridge Parkway, so we might just grab some food & head up there to find a nice, picturesque place for a picnic. We’ve done that before, but not recently. Should be a fun day, and, rain permitting, we’ll probably get in a lot of walking.

I really like our new FB page - thanks again KarenMO for setting it up for us! And Donna, thanks for thinking of it!

Well, continuing on in my lazy mode, I’ve got a book I want to finish tonight, so…… I’m going to fix me an iced coffee drink, & settle down in my comfy chair with my feet up, & enjoy. Hope all of you are able to do something equally as relaxing this weekend! Have a good one!
    NCNancy
  • Rosey,
    Just saw the puppy pics. Awwww! So cute! Almost makes me want to get me one just like him, but I think my cats would eat him (or at least torment the heck out of him!).

NCNancy
  • awwwwwwwwwwwwww Rosie he is so sweet k3
  • Good evening GG's,

It was a busy day ~ I am tired, but in a good way.

I liked the Doctor (saw her for my thyroid/parathyroid) ~ she was very helpful and took time to explain things to me so that I could understand. I had to have some lab work and have to have a couple tests done.

Got an audio book at the library to listen to.

Went swimming ~ DH and Maddie were already there. Well, it wasn't so much swimming as being in the water as deep as Maddie could go with her floaty. It felt good just to be wet on a hot day. They have this lazy river thing that you float in ~ it has a current that pushes you along. So Maddie was with her floaty and I had my noodle and Maddie wanted to keep together holding hands. I used my noodle like riding a bicycle and pedaled along (like they taught me in water therapy class one time after a knee injury). I was in Grandma heaven ~ Maddie wanting to keep hold of my hand like that. Such a sweet little girl.

I hope you all don't think I am playing favorites because I talk about Maddie so much. It is because I have the most opportunities to spend time with her. Corbin is 13 almost 14 and spends more time with his friends now ~ so I don't get to see him as much. Especially since my job schedule and hours changed. He used to come over a lot after school for help with homework or school projects, but I am not here much anymore at that time. Darn job ~ messed everything up. Oh well ~ at least I have one.

Got a few more things to do to get ready to go back to work tomorrow.

Hope you all have had a good day ~ rest well tonight.

Take care
  • Rie ~ I remember singing that song (the one your dad got your name from) at summer camp as a kid.
  • Good Morning GG's,

Looks like it's going to be another HOT day. You know how I love heat...not! But, since there is another couple of months of this stuff I just better shut up and make the most of it. I'm jealous of all of you that are getting fresh vegetables. My tomatoes are about the size of a quarter. Lots on the vine but it will be a long time before they come in. Nothing much going on today. DGD's baseball this afternoon. That is always fun. Going to take her and a friend to the movies, maybe Tuesday. I haven't seen an adult film in a long time but know all the kiddie ones. This one is "Judy Moody and the not so bummer summer." Sounds like it might be fun.

Mary, could you send me some of that Panset? I love it. Havent' had it in awhile, since my Phillipine friends moved away. And I think to get a lot of arobic benefits you need to get your HR up. Maybe up the speed of the machines. Or if you are doing exercise, it helps to get your arms above your head.

Gayle, I'm glad you found a Dr. you like. Makes a big difference. What audio book did you get? I always have one going in the car.

Karen, Good luck on the exercise. And nurses are good patients! Now doctors, not so much!

Rosie, OHhhh,, your new little baby is adorable! But 2 new babies at one time? I'm not sure I would be up to that. Like having twins maybe?

Nancy, If you only got a couple of projects done, at least you got 2 out of the way! Enjoy your down time.

Marie, I can't believe how much exercise you get! But, like you said, it's fun for you. Anthing that is fun to are going to do more. But wherether you say it's fun or not, you are getting lots of exercise. I'll trade you a 1/2 hour of weight training for 1/2 hour of arobics?

Rie, I make a mistake sometimes and buy something that needs to be handwashed. It's never intentional, no matter how much I like it. But ironing I don't mind.

Donna, Is your brother back? I thought he went home. Sounds like the walker is working for granny, get out of her way!

Z, I agree that it's much easier to care for a puppy if you have lots of time. Training takes a lot of patience. It would be much easier when you retire, since that won't be that long. I can see you walking along the beach with a dog running along beside you.

Everyone, make it a good day

Freda