TOM Help and Weight Loss??

• Okay, I will try and not make this too long! By the way, it may be a bit graphic (sorry in advance). Here goes:

I recently started a new dieting plan but before beginning, I wanted to "detox" and get rid of some of my cravings (see introduction section). I fasted for 2 days, then I have been doing an intermittent fast. I am at 276.6 (Yeeeeea!) as of this morning. Well....I started my period last Monday...wait, let me back up!

My periods have never been reliable or a constant. I have gone 2-3 months without one and I always assumed it was because of weight. Well, it's been a while since I had one but it's seems to be back with a vengence. I'm still on and not sure if this has do do with not having a regular one or just the fact that I have lost weight?? I'm on day 12....I am actually not really tired or anything either. Also, I have not had cramps or anything, like I normally have. I am normally doubled over in pain from TOM but not this time. It just won't stop and it's super heavy!

Any one else experience this?
  • You've changed a lot in your life in a short amount of time. I always had irregular periods, too, but am way past that now, so I can't tell you how my body reacted when I started to lose weight. I do remember that the longer I went between periods, however, the longer they seemed to last. I'd give it a day or 2 more and then call the doctor if nothing has changed. Better to be safe than sorry. Good luck - stay healthy.

Lin
  • My cycles have always been the opposite- regular like clockwork, then things got really wonky once I started losing a fair amount of weight. I had one month where my cycle started as regular, then 2 weeks later I had another full cycle, cycles that start days earlier than usual, and extremely heavy cycles.

Someone on this board posted that it might be due to estrogen release; something that happens with weight loss as estrogen is stored in fat.
  • Thanks for the advice!
  • interesting timing for this question. I started this diet a month ago and my period showed up around the usual time yesterday, but it is way heavier this time than it's been for a while, after losing about 17 lbs since I started. I just hope it doesn't last any longer than usual!
  • I have been on the Nuva Ring for years and only usually get my period twice a year. I have been spotting, holding water and totally of whack ever since I started dieting and exercising! I feel you. I can't tell what the heck is going on but I do know that my poor body has gone from eating whatever it wants and using the treadmill as a decorative piece of furniture in my spare bedroom to a strict diet and using the treadmill daily so I personally think we all just need to give our bodies a chance to catch up.....