Black Rice has more antioxidants than blueberries

• My favorite rice is Black Forbidden Rice by Lotus Foods. I love the texture and flavor much more than other rices. The grains stay separate without sticking and have a deep, nutty flavor that stands on its own.

I just stumbled across an article which states that black rice contains more antioxidants than blueberries! It's also cheaper.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_1...-10391704.html

Quote:
    "Just a spoonful of black rice bran contains more health promoting anthocyanin antioxidants than are found in a spoonful of blueberries, but with less sugar and more fiber and vitamin E antioxidants," researcher Dr. Zhimin Xu, associate professor of food science at Louisiana State University Agricultural Center in Baton Rouge,
  • I don't think I've come across black rice. What do you do with it?

I wish there was more nutritional info available about the less common rices. I use Thai red rice regularly in miso soup, and I'm not even sure I've got the basic macronutrient data correct, let alone the micronutrients.
  • Very interesting. Where would you find it?
  • How much bran is in an uncooked cup of black rice?

I think if we're comparing to other foods it helps to identify portion sizes.
  • My family eats a lot of brown rice, but doesn't eat blueberries as often as one might like (given that I keep hearing recommendations that folks should eat them every day).

I'm going to see if I can find some. I wouldn't substitute the black rice for the blueberries my family does eat, but it looks like a nutritional upgrade from normal brown rice!
  • I just found this on the Lotus Foods website:

As many antioxidants as blueberries? A new study shows that a spoonful of black rice bran or 10 spoonfuls of cooked black rice contains the same amount of antioxidants as a spoonful of fresh blueberries.
  • Quote: I don't think I've come across black rice. What do you do with it?
    My favorite dish with black rice is a Mediterranean style stir fry. I stir fry onions and mushrooms, add the cooked black rice, then add in a lot of fresh baby spinach until it wilts. I stir in sliced or diced roasted red bell peppers. I toss it with a very good, sweet balsamic dressing.

I buy Lotus Foods Forbidden Black Rice. It's frequently available on Amazon in their Subscribe and Save program. It's not as cheap as brown rice, but it's probably not something you'll serve as often.
  • I love black rice...yummy
  • I buy mine at Whole foods. I mix it with white jasmine rice because it looks pretty when I cook it
  • Quote: How much bran is in an uncooked cup of black rice?

I think if we're comparing to other foods it helps to identify portion sizes.
    Rice trivia:

Black rice is interchangeable with brown rice - the portion size, calorie, bran and fiber content would be the same (varieties can vary a bit, but they're pretty similar).

You can even say that black rice is a brown rice, because the term "brown rice" is used to describe any rice, regardless of color which has had the outer bran layer removed. Black and red rices are therefore generally brown (intact, whole-grain) rices.

Red and mahogany rices are nice too. My husband makes an awesome grain pilaf that contains a blend of short-grained brown rice and long-grained black, red, and mahogany rices (he also adds wild rice, quinoa, millet and sometimes other grains like amaranth).