Too overweight for a treadmill?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I was given a new treadmill yesterday - BRAND NEW.. It's a Proform ZT5. I was so excited about it until I finished reading the manual. Its for 300 lbs or less. I weigh 321. What would happen if I used it? I know I can lose the 21 lbs, but I don't want it to break in the mean time, but its also too hot for me to go outside to walk (which is why the person bought me the treadmill). What do you think?
  • I wouldn't worry about any excercise until you have a good solid eating plan in place. One that you know frontwards and backwards and in your sleep. After a few months of 100% concentration on your eating plan, (and if you stick to it like glue) you will lose that 21 pounds in a hurry without excercise...then hop on your new Proform ZT5 and give it a whirl.

That's how I did it...(minus the treadmill) Though, everyone is different.
  • Weight Watchers
    I have been on an eating plan - I've lost 75 lbs in the last two years. Because I have PCOS, the 21 lbs will take a bit longer than it would for someone without it, but it will happen. It'll be even slower than before because I can't go outside to work out (no money for a gym and I am severely heat intolerant). Just trying to figure out what will happen to the treadmill if I use it anyway.
  • What are you going to be doing on the treadmill? I doubt an extra 21 lbs is going to make a big difference if you're not running on it. You're about 7% heavier than the max weight. Should be ok.
  • Terrific for you! It is wonderful that you have already begun. Sorry I assumed that you haven't, it's just usually new members are still working out a plan. My bad.

As far as the weight limit on the treadmill, can you call the store and ask?...or e-mail the company?
  • I'm sure, like most products, the treadmill is over-designed. If the weight limit says 300, you could probably put 600 or 900 lbs on it before it actually broke. 320 lbs will put more wear and tear on it than 120 lbs will, but really not substantially more wear and tear than 300 lbs would. I say go for it.

I'm glad you read the instructions though. I had friends who bought a (Walmart) trampoline, put it up, started using it. It wasn't until I started researching them myself that I realized that most of them have a fairly low weight limit, and it wasn't until you got to the really high end trampolines that an overweight adult could reasonably use one. They had 5 or 6 overweight adults on it at ONCE and sure enough it broke. (Actually, it's not why I told the story, but it does highlight my point about over-designing.)
  • You guys rock! I only <just> joined this place because I needed some answers from people who know and have experience with what I am going through! Thank you so much!
  • I think most manufacturers normally put the weight limit at a pretty safe region to cover their own butts so if you're just a bit above you should be fine. That being said I'd take it slow on it and just walk just to be on the safe side. Also, do you have hand weights at home? Maybe you could use them and just do some body weight exercises in the meantime? There are tons of great body weight exercises out there that you can do in your living room.

ETA: congrats on your weight loss so far, that's AWESOME!!!!
  • I would think that the company would allow for a little variance and would be conservative in their limits. For example, 300 lbs is ok, but 305 will cause it to break.

I agree with John P that unless you are using it in a way that would cause it to reach it's limits. Try some slow walking and enjoy. With PCOS, the excercise can make a difference to you on so many levels. good luck
  • Yeah, I think it'll be fine.
  • I think if you're just walking steadily on it without trying to break it (like jumping up and down on it, but who does that?), you'll be fine for a few months.

It might put a little more wear & tear on the tread or something, but I don't think it has to sit in a corner collecting dust until you lose 21 pounds.

Also! Welcome to 3FC and congrats on your work so far! That's very exciting to see. I'm also a WW member, and I use my Treadmill pretty much daily
  • Yeah I'd take the weight limit with a +100 margin of error. They make them durable and test them well beyond the limits they set but they also want to set it to a number that if it breaks, they can say they aren't responsible.
  • Think about it this way: Their stated weight limit is 300 lbs. So someone who is 299 can be running on that thing and according to their specs it'll be fine. Now, think about the forces involved in running vs walking. Clearly, that 299 lb person is going to be doing a lot more to that machine by running on it than you at 321 will be doing when walking. So don't worry about it! I might advise not running on it for the time being, but I'd bet a light jog wouldn't hurt it too much. Yes, I'm sure the treads will wear down more quickly for you than for someone who weighs 120 lbs soaking wet, but that'd be true for someone at 299, or 250 as well. Don't sweat it. You have it, use it! And enjoy yourself!
  • What a sweet and supportive friend. You are very lucky!

Go for it! I think it'll be okay!
  • I've been buying and using exercise equipment as a morbidly obese person for more than 25 years, and I give products a 50 lb leeway and have never had a problem. I've even used equipment with a weight limit listed as 100 lbs under my own, and have never broken anything (on my self or the equipment).

If I remember correctly, running puts four or more times the stress (pounds per inch) than walking. Which would mean that if a treadmill can handle a 300 lb runner, it should be able to hold a 1200 lb walker.