stupid question about clothing sizes

• Hi,

I was just thinking about when I will finally be a small enough clothing size to shop in "regular" stores again. I realized it has been such a long time that I don't even know what "regular " sizes go up to. Can I cross over from the Plus size of Fashion Bug at size fourteen, or do I have to get down to a twelve (not sure if it's possible). Do most regular stores go up to fourteen now, or do they just stop at twelve (please , no!)

Hopefully by this time next year I'll be shopping in those stores, and not just thinking about it!

Thanks,
    Sherry
  • Sherry.. "normal" stores do go up to a 14.. you may even find a 16, however I have noticed that a plus size 14 may be a bit larger then a "normal" 14. I've also noticed that designer clothes are generally more generous too.

Dana - still a size 20 - but working my way down!
  • Hey, I do know that Old Navy even has clothing in a size 20... Whoo Hoo...that's my next size, can't wait to get there.

I'm dreaming of a Shopping Spree in Six Months. (my goal is to be a size 14 by June...my birthday).
  • I guess I'd need to know what you meant by a "normal" store. I think Kmart's pretty normal. I shop there now. I will prolly shop there throughout this journey.

But what did you have in mind?

I know that my last time on this journey, the size charts in clothing catalogs helped me a lot. A size 14W is a Misses 16, I believe?
  • I've seen size 14 & sometimes 16's at most stores. I think Mervyns goes to an 18 even.
    Now a little off the topic but can anybody say approximately how much weight you have to lose to go down a size. I know everybody is different but I'm just looking for a general number.
    I wear 24's now and they are way too tight. I've lost 10 pounds but it hasn't made much of a difference. I'm wondering how much weight I need to lose to make a difference. Also, I am desperate for clothes so if it going to take a long time I might as well bite the bullet and but a few things.
  • jujubeee...

I started at 235 lbs - size 22 (I'm only 5 feet tall) I've lost over 20 lbs and I can still wear those 22's - but they are lose. Sometimes I wear a size 20 now. I have heard that generally it is 10-15 lbs per size.

Dana
  • I think for me a normal store is like the ones in the mall that generally cater to a size 16 and under. In our mall (if you don't count Mervyn's, Target, Sears, JcPenney or the Bon Marche that have a small 'area' for Women's size clothing) , then we only have one store, Lane Bryant, that caters to women of larger proportions. That's pretty bad.

• The problem is, a size 14 in Sears can be a size 10 in other stores. When you start getting down to those sizes, it's a little tricy. Because each stores carries different manufacturers, it's even trickier. If you don't like to shop...it can be a nightmare. If you all remember...a bit ago..I was saying goodbye to Lane Bryant, their tops were too big for me. But other stores, I was too big. Well..it will be awhile again before I really say farewell to lane Bryant (though their prices are draining me lately!)..

• Quote:
    Originally posted by jujubeee
    Now a little off the topic but can anybody say approximately how much weight you have to lose to go down a size.
    For me it's about 20#. I have a pair of size 22 jeans that *fit*, but I would NEVER wear them in public. The 24's are just more presentable.

For my friend, who is now @ about 180 after topping out around 230, it's about 10#. She is now fitting back into clothes from HS.

And that's actually what I don't get--I was a 20-22 throughout most of high school--and when I graduated weighed about 230. Now I'm 65# heavier & can squeeze into a 22? What's up with that?
  • prettyface - Clothing sizes are getting bigger. Marilyn Monroe wore a size 16. She would probably wear 10 today.
  • Is that true?
    So do they keep expanding the sizes as the great American waist band thickens? That doesn't seem right.

I have found as far as getting into the next size it depends more on excercise. I am proportioned very badly. I have small chicken legs(32 inseam), no bottom, a thick waist(38), 42DD chest, and square shoulders. If I keep up with my ab work and drop #10 lbs. I can hit the next size. If I lose without keeping up my ab work it takes closer to 20 lbs. to fit into the next size.

Miss Chris
    SW: 230
    CW:206
    GW: 122
  • For me, it seems to take a 15 pound loss to lose one clothing size. I've lost 85 now. I started from a tight tight tight 24 (really a 26), and now wear a 14. I suspect that once I lose my last 20, I'll wear a 12 or perhaps a rare generously proportioned 10.
  • I think that it really matters how you are proportioned. I went from a 22/24 (some 70 pounds ago) to a 18 and some 16's.
    I think that most stores go up to a 16 and in some, you will find some 18's. Old Navy does carry up to a 20, but good luck finding them (at least at the one that I shop at, it is much easier to find a 16 or 18).
    Good luck to you!

• Yes, I'd have to say that it's not so much how much you weigh....but how much muscle vs fat..proportions....and all that..

• When I was 265, I was wearing size 24 (my waist was 46" and my hips were 55" or so). I never used to exercise though, so I had no muscle. At my current weight of 209, I am wearing size 14/16 (my waist is currently 36" and my hips are 43"). Here in Canada, we don't have any of the stores mentioned above, but for pants I still have to shop in the plus size stores (Walmart carries lots of nice clothes and Cotton Ginny Plus), for shirts I can fit into a regular ladies size L now. I am 5'9" with a big frame, so I will be very, very happy if I can get down to a 10/12.