Extreme couponing

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • I agree that, if let's say a couple with no kids has a mass stash of food that is more likely to go bad before they consume it, is hoarding. One couple I watched last night organized the food by exp. date so they were actually eating the food they purchased and they would use the extra money to go traveling. But I also noticed the mass amount of soda and candy some of these people purchase!

The amount of time they go through to find the coupons, organize, etc. For some people was equivalent if not more to that of a part time job! Personally I would LOVE to save that much on groceries and go get hauls that big once a month maybe or as I'm running out but I can't see myself dumpster diving, going door to door picking up coupons, stealing them from other peoples Sunday paper, or sitting in front of the computer looking for them!
  • Not touching the hoarder vs non-hoarder behaviour . . . I have to give these people MAD credit for getting that done.
    The organiztion, dedication, time spent collecting and formulating a plan . . . Kudos to them for that.
  • I find the show interesting, but would never have the patience to sit down and clip coupons for hours to score a better deal.
  • I just started using coupons. My husband and I have foodstamps, so if I can find a way to stretch our budget even thinner, than I'm all for it. Our kroger doubles any coupon under .50 cents, but you can only stack 1 manufactures coupons with 1 kroger coupon. I'm not sure how they're saving so much when you can only go that far.
  • Quote: I just started using coupons. My husband and I have foodstamps, so if I can find a way to stretch our budget even thinner, than I'm all for it. Our kroger doubles any coupon under .50 cents, but you can only stack 1 manufactures coupons with 1 kroger coupon. I'm not sure how they're saving so much when you can only go that far.
    But I'll bet you aren't buying 100 of something. Sounds like you are buying what you need.
  • I get annoyed when they completely clear the shelves. I understand wanting to get a good deal, but leave something for the rest of us who NEED the items!
  • My fiance and I don't usually watch tv (we're more about dvds and youtube clips, or entire series on dvd), but when we were on our trip last month we watched extreme couponing. We were horrified. It was like watching a trainwreck. I know I won't watch again, as I know I will never watch hoarders. I just find it sad.
  • Quote: I get annoyed when they completely clear the shelves. I understand wanting to get a good deal, but leave something for the rest of us who NEED the items!
    So true!

If they are going to buy 100 of something, why don't they order it and have the store set it aside? That way, there would be stuff on the shelves for the rest of us. In fact, I would like to see some of the stores implementing that policy.

Did you notice last night's episode? The woman had divided her shopping into 2. Her husband was going to buy half and they would check out separately. Some woman at the store informed her that the coupon policy for the store wasn't per shopper but per household. I found that odd. If there was another couponer in there, would they accuse them of being on the same block? I don't understand the stores position. They get reimbursed plus a few pennies for each coupon.
  • One of the major things I see is much of the food purchased is over processed junk. No, not always but much of it is. You don't get coupons for carrots and lettuce. So, this isn't their only food bill unless they eat very unhealthy. Even if they do purchase other produce, meats, etc. that's still a crap ton of sugary, fatty, over processed food to have in one house. And god, the condiments! I had the save average size bottle of mustard for a year, that's right, A YEAR! To warrant clearing the shelves of mustard or mayonnaise, I hope they're donating or bathing in it.

I've never seen anything this over the top in real life and probably won't so long as I live in this same area. Stores DO NOT double coupons and you rarely get store coupons. That's what it's going to end up like all over the place, notations on coupons not to double, changes in store policies and fewer and fewer coupons overall. They'll kill their own "cash cow."

That said, I don't really care, though I do find it.... odd. Of all the thrill seeking behavior to get a "high" I'd rather just ride a roller coaster and save myself time and clutter.
  • I always wonder if this is real. Where I live we rarely have coupons available and there are strict rules. Gosh when I use a coupon for 75 cents off cream the cashier practically takes a magnifying glass to it. No double couponing, limits of 4 items at a time, only one coupon per purchase etc. Really don't think it is possible here in Canada.
    I am a little fascinated by the idea. I like the idea of paying less for groceries and toiletries for sure. I wait for sales.
    I have seen on the show they mainly buy crap like cake mix or flavored water. I don't want these even if they are free. But free toilet paper yes. It is expensive here.
  • I saw one show that showed a lady's house before she went on her nexr shopping trip in her own words she said she had enough feminine products to last her into menopause.....in the nest shopping trip she bought more. There is a rationale there that I don't understand. I like to save money and try to shop sales and use an occasional coupon but I can't see buying enough to last me into the next century.