Scale question

• So, I have been playing with my scale a bit. Just now, I could get a 3lb fluctuation on my scale by simply adjusting where my feet were. I know that for a lot of people 3lbs isn't that much, but when I got on the scale yesterday, it read 271.4. And while indeed I did have a high sodium day the day before, I found 6lbs of water retention to be a little crazy. Not impossible granted, but doubtfully high. Yesterday was another high sodium day, inadvertently, so my scale is still bouncing around between 268.8-271.4 depending on how I stand on it. I could get any of the numbers multiple times in a row, if I stood on the scale the same way.

So here's my question, is it normal that how you stand on a scale alters the weight being displayed? Or should I consider getting a new scale?
  • I've found that with most scales there's a little variation based on how I stand, but 3 lbs. seems a little excessive. My current scale, digital, varies by 0.2-0.4 lbs. You could get a new scale, or you could do what I did when I had more variable scales: figure out the pattern. I knew that if I leaned left, my weight would be lower. That's the number I used. It's not going to be perfect, but most scales aren't anyway.
  • It could also be that your floor isn't flat. Have you tried other areas where you lived to see if you get the same variation?
  • Quote: It could also be that your floor isn't flat. Have you tried other areas where you lived to see if you get the same variation?
    OK so I decided that I was going to try moving it around....just for kicks, I thought I would put it on the carpet and see what happens....fastest 95lb weight loss ON THE PLANET!!

Anyway, I can't seem to get the same variances now, I am still getting over a pound, but not the 3lbs I had before.

Where in my house didn't seem to matter.
  • I just ordered a new one. We have the same problem and it is driving me nuts!! I found a WW scale that will show you if you stand on it off-centre. You can move until it signals a good position and then it will measure. I hope that will fix my problem. I hope to get the scale by end of the week or early next week.
  • Ohmydogs, how long has it taken you to lose 30 lbs? What is your lifestyle of eating exercise like? I am new and looking for any inspiration.
  • Hi mommyandwifey, I am not a great example. I have not been exercising tooo much, I was walking daily, but it bored me to tears. Now I am just running a tiny bit with my Wii Fit (the short course). I am counting calories, and allow myself between 1600-1800 calories a day. It's taken me since Jan to lose 30lbs, but I have had some glitches along the way. For the entire month of Feb my girls were battling tonsillitis (we had 4 cases of it that month, between 2 girls), and with being up and down all night, etc, I just went completely off plan. I have taken a few days off here, and a few days off there. When I am consistent I lose, on average, about 3lbs per week.
    I actually just came to the realization that if I want to be thin by Christmas, that it's time to actually get serious. I also make a point of drinking 3 litres of water a day (that's 96 oz). Let me know if there's anything else I can do to help!! I had pretty much the same starting stats, and I know how hard/frustrating it is at first!!
  • OhMyDogs, you are doing great!! 30 lbs is pretty good and a slower weight loss is better anyways!

About the "walking is boring part", I also found myself seriously bored walking. Last week I started Couch to 5k which is a program that gets you running in something like 9 weeks. I LOVE IT! It totally is exciting and keeps me doing it on a regular basis. I started the 2nd week yesterday and I can't believe I can actually do it. If you are interested let me know and I can tell you more about it.
    And I am a serious couch potato!
  • Oohh my, josey, seriously? In 9 weeks?
    HOW?!
    Do tell, please... I actually like just walking, but I'd love to be running without hating it lol
  • RiiC - check out c25k.com, it has the program on there.
  • That's the link, thanks for posting Gale02.
    I can recommend an iPhone app: http://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/c25k-...301233668?mt=8
    It works better for me than the plan on paper but I guess that is personal preference. The iPhone app makes me more accountable and I don't give up that easily.
    Wish me luck, I am doing week 2, day 2 tonight