How to get rid of anxiety?

• Lately I've found myself feeling more anxious than normal.
    I typically just feel like something bad is going to happen and feel on edge/nervous for no good reason-Usually it's worse when I'm out somewhere or have to talk to people I don't know. An example is if I'm going round to a friends house/the Dr's for a routine thing/shopping I always have this horrible feeling. And I don't understand why since they're generally positive things that I like to do, or at least don't mind doing!
    My palms also get really clammy etc.

I think I suffered with some kind of anxiety since I was young due to problems in the family, but it became much worse when I was about 14 or so, I'm 20 now and it just feels like it is getting worse. I understand why I felt anxious as a kid, and I've talked about it, but it doesn't seem to go away now that I'm an adult.

I'm going to talk to my Dr and counselor about anxiety medication I think, I wanted to try and deal with it through talking about issues but it doesn't seem to be helping and feeling so anxious is hampering my ability to move on from other things.

Has anyone suffered from anxiety like this before? Or started medication or something else to help remedy it? I'm concerned about taking a medicine like this when I'm only 20-I don't really want to be on it indefinitely but I'm sick of feeling on edge, it's exhausting. Can being on these types of medication help even after you come off them?

I'm not asking for professional advice, I will talk to my Dr about it but it would be nice to hear some opinions from people who have had the same experiences.

Thanks
  • I'm now suffering from anxiety too. The problem for me is that my son has special needs and bad things do happen every so often and I can never predict when so now, I find myself having almost constant butterflies and a deep sinking feeling. It's horrible! I haven't gone the medication route because I've tried it before and it made me feel terrible. I'm very sensitive to drugs and I can only have a few sips of wine or I end up feeling horrible. Anyway, the thing that helps me more than anything is exercise! If I can sweat it out and then lift some weights, it really goes a long way. I also try to do deep breathing and to ask myself what is really bothering me. I ask myself what's the worst thing that can happen? Then, I make myself realize that even if it happens, there's not much I can do about it. So, I can't advise you on the meds, but you might try the exercise and positive thinking. I hope you feel better soon. You're definitely not alone!
  • I have struggled with anxiety in the past as well. I have been on a few drugs to alleviate it, but quit them b/c I gained a significant amount of weight in a month or two. What works for me is consistent exercise. When I haven't exercised for a few weeks, I can feel my anxiety creeping up on me.
    Maybe try to schedule some time to exercise 4-5 times a week.
    Good luck and hang in there.
  • I have been taking Paxil (or its generic form) for anexity for many years. It keeps me on an even keel. Honestly, I have never tried going off it because it keeps me steady. We it gets close to my monthly cycle, I can feel my anexity increasing but I know it is due to hormones.
    If you feel it is getting worse, do not be afraid to medication. In this day and age, there is no reason for you to suffer.
    Best of luck in whatever choice you make.
  • Yes indeed I have chronic low level anxiety with occasional bouts of high levels.

I use Rx meds for the bouts of high anxiety. They do help when needed. If you feel too loopy, drop the dosage down. You want to take the edge off - not immobilize yourself. They don't have to be permanent and when you feel more in control you can taper them down and off. For my chronic low anxiety, I take the supplement GABA. It really helps me.
  • Thanks for your responses It is reassuring to feel like you're not alone

I don't find exercise has much effect on my anxiety, at least not the kinds I do perhaps. I'm generally pretty active day to day and do quite a bit of walking and sports on the side.

I was unsure about the medication route since I have this idea that once you're on them, they help, but then when you come off surely things revert back? But I will definitely ask my Dr about the different options.